Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Xemous
Xemous
The booster exists, right? That's kind of a double jump and it's not over powered.
Cibryll
Cibryll
Aside from that; I was thinking something like, jumping again while in mid-air (without having the Booster), essentially extending the jumping range by 3 tiles (for a total of six, if I'm not mistaken).

I guess a double-jump and the booster would probably be slightly overkill (or a game breaker in some cases).
Mint
Mint
It dephends on the mod.
It really dephends.
FDeityLink
FDeityLink
If the mod is not properly adjusted for the double-jump mechanic, then yes, it would be OP.
In Pokemon, there are very powerful moves, but you have limited uses for them, which is a proper adjustment that doesn't make the move completely OP.
Jpzarde
Jpzarde
I don't think so, double jump is practically just a replacement for the booster 0.8. They pretty much have identical use and function: to act as an extension to the player's movement capabilities in the air.
Hiino
Hiino
This is the wrong question to ask.
From a game design standpoint: if you just plastered the double jump to the original CS, it just wouldn't work.
More generally, if your mod works out correctly without a double jump, and you decide to add a double jump, then it is likely to disrupt that balanced state, unless using the double jump comes with heavy restrictions and drawbacks.
While not being "overpowered" (see below why), it will make the game easier for no reason, and possibly allow for shortcuts, game exploits, glitches, game-breaking situations, etc.
However (and as F_Deity said), if you build your mod around the different features available to the player, which you should ALWAYS do, then the mod will be adapted to the double jump (and other mechanisms) and it will by no means be OP.

From a semantic standpoint: by definition, "overpowered" is a term that designates an option that is way better than its counterparts, and that is always advantageous in any, or most, situations.
So, by this definition, an option cannot be overpowered if there aren't any alternatives. It's not like you have to choose only one of several options, one of which being the double jump. It's just there, and you are allowed to use it or not, no matter the situation. So it cannot be considered "overpowered".