Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Mint
Mint
Wait, Phones? You use more than one?
Polaris
Polaris
I still have and use my old Android. Not as bad of a distraction as constant Internet access and high speed because the Desire is slow and mostly used for music, writing and emulator games...so it's not as much of a problem, but I'm not taking that risk this time. They're both leaving my care tomorrow.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
My recommendation: Ditch the smart phones. Buy a brick phone. A Nokia 208 or 301 may be a good choice.
Mint
Mint
I've spend years with a old Nokia, it fell a few times, but it never broke.
I've got a smartphone a year ago for my birthday though, so I don't really use it.
Seriously though, the Nokia company should just build houses or something.
Polaris
Polaris
When my parents were opting to give me my first phone a few years ago, I legitimately wanted a bog-standard Kyocera with no bells and whistles - just a resistance to water and a nice blue design.

They got me a Huawei smartphone anyway, of course. I'm sure that they regret the decision now, and I'll have to be more assertive about that in the future. Giving actual calling responsibilities to a practical, "dumb" phone like a Nokia or a Kyocera would make things safer because I wouldn't be wasting the battery all the time or running the risk of having it stolen, and I could treat my iPhone for what it is - an entertainment device, a nuisance to be deprived of when necessary.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
The sheer number of times my Nokia has hit the deck on the hardest of surfaces and come out unscathed... Not to mention that my phone can run for days without being plugged into the charger. And buttons, they are a godsend when you want to punch out a number.

I seriously think that smart phones represent a regression in mobile phone technology.
Noxid
Noxid
they're better at playing video games though
Raus
Raus
Oh @Polaris... :<

@andwhyisit
I think it's more about proper phone management, usage, and care than what kind of phone you get. In almost a decade I have almost never dropped my mobile devices; actually, I've dropped my laptop more times than my mobiles ^_^;

A couple days of battery runtime may be quite a bit, but on some Android smartphones with a large battery (not phablet sized), ultra power-saving can extend to 2 weeks of standby. Androids also have haptic-feedback, which while it may not be as good as physical buttons, it definitely beats ordinary touchscreen buttons tremendously.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
Why would I bother when my phone addresses those needs out of the box without me needing to do anything?

And as far as battery life goes, I did not say "a couple of days". I don't know how long my battery lives for (I have yet to let it run dry out of habit), but I know I can get at least half a week out of it (of regular usage mind you). My mother's iPhone can't even last 1 day before it needs to be charged.

I have an Android tablet, so I am not against the technology itself. I just think that smart phones are terrible mobile phones. I find having a dedicated mobile phone that doesn't try to be everything at once to be a much better state of affairs.
Raus
Raus
Because it is out-of-the-box is a pretty weak argument though, unless it's the difference between out-of-the-box and a root system feature.

Oh and you did say that your phone can last days without charging.
iPhones aren't the best mobile device, (If anything one of the worst unfortunately, sorry Polaris >.< ) so don't try to compare with them. Regarding regular usage, my phone can last two full days; one day for extreme usage and non-stop bluetooth streaming. The ultra power saving is also of regular usage too.

Oh and I totally agree with you about mobile phones trying to do everything. I myself only use my phone for music, internet access/hotspot, an alarm clock, and communication (Sometimes for emulators too). I use my laptop for most other things, and I'm strongly disinterested in tablets (Pointless when a phone and laptop achieve the same and more with much better convenience).
Polaris
Polaris
@Noxid I don't know if even that is the case, Bounce was a pretty enthralling game. All that I need, really! ;3

@andwhyisit I share your views, trust me. Nokia phones are basically indestructible even without a case, practically immortal, and better at being a phone than my phone. If I can get my plan on one of those things, I will!
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
I meant that I don't need ultra power saving or to be careful with my phone, since my phone does both for me without any input from myself. I don't have to make concessions for my phone just to make it do what I want.

The gameboy won the handheld war against technically superior devices on the back of better battery life, now no-one cares.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
@Polaris: Even without being tied to a plan you can still buy them outright for $50 or less.
Raus
Raus
@andwhyisit
Well, I guess this just leaves semantical preferences now; both at a stalemate.

Oh and I really wasn't paying attention to the safety of my device, but that's a bit out of the scope.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
It's not semantics. Your phone would run out of power twice before my power indicator would even budge, even with power saving. Your phone does everything possible to encourage you to waste even more of said power. Your phone is only in one piece out of sheer luck. Your phone can't access radio and needs to stream music over the net just to produce the same functionality (which wastes more power). Your phone requires you to lift, move and place your thumb for every number on the keypad. Your phone requires you to navigate to the keypad rather than make it available anywhere.

That is not what I want in a phone.

I'm sure you have different preferences in mobile phones to me, but for me this isn't a matter of semantics.
Raus
Raus
I probably had something else in mind when I said semantics. (As usual >.< )
With power saving (not even ultra, a separate thing that basically makes it act like a dumb phone for lack of better word), it's more on par if anything. It doesn't encourage me to waste more power, but tries to preserve it. There was no sheer luck involved, just simply how one is. I don't stream my music, I've got it all on my phone; and probably gets better audio quality too. Some phones in particular have actual radio capability, just not my model. Moving my thumb isn't a problem, and isn't stuck to the screen. When the keypad is necessary, it will make itself appear on the screen.
Really just nitty-gritty stuff at this point which will not get us anywhere.

Oh and I'm looking towards the possibility for programming for my phone, but have yet to find the time to setup the tools for that ^_^;
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
I drop my phone often enough to be a concern, from a minimum of waist height, and typically onto hard surfaces like slate and concrete. You may dismiss this, but for me durability in a phone is everything.

"Moving my thumb isn't a problem, and isn't stuck to the screen."
*sigh* It's like we are having two different conversations.

Move your thumb from the 1 on the keypad to the 9 without your thumb leaving the screen and without triggering any other number and let me know when you can feel the 9 key under your thumb.

"When the keypad is necessary, it will make itself appear on the screen."
Missing the point again. Getting to the keypad is a button press, X number of swipes, and a possible tap. On a normal phone you just start punching out numbers no matter what you are doing (with exception to the sms input screen).