Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Polar✪
Polar✪
the undertale hype will pass aar, don't worry

but the undertale forum avatars will linger forever
Nothing
Nothing
I'm not hyped about it either, honestly.
Raus
Raus
Honestly I feel like it's overhyped, I'll still be waiting for a sale nevertheless.

One thing that stood out like a sore thumb for me is how some pronounce how amazing Undertale's music is. 8bit cannot possibly be as good as music like chiptunes or chipstep [Assuming you found a good one, I've spent a long time finding such good ones]; not even HÖSTLOV by Mr.Gamer [That song is incredible for its scope, it barely even constitutes as 8bit] can match.
Fatih
Fatih
It's overhyped but I do like it
Thatnamelessguy
Thatnamelessguy
Undertale's music hardly counts as 8bit
hell, it isn't 8bit
the only songs that are 8bit are some of the battle themes and aside from a few silly things like tem shop and nyeh heh heh pretty much all of those incorporate other not 8bit instruments in them
aside from that most songs aren't 8bit
undertale's soundtrack incorporates numerous different types of songs which is a big part of the reason why I personally consider it one of the best soundtracks I've heard for a game
Yinga
Yinga
VinylCheese
VinylCheese
@Raus Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that "8-bit" is just a misnomer for chiptune. From what I've listened to, Undertale's "8-bit" music portions use sound limitations closer to that of the original NES/Famicom.
Raus
Raus
I saw the trailer a couple weeks ago, so my memory may be failing a bit. I'll have to check again.

@VinylCheese
8bit is not a misnomer of chiptunes, they are different genres actually. (They do have the same roots though) To add to the confusion, there are a couple other genres that can be banded together: lo-fi, ultrabit and electronic.

I've been solely listening to all those different genres (Except electronic) and I can distinguish between them. It is a bit hard to explain, but a multitude of examples would help rectify that if you'd like.
VinylCheese
VinylCheese
I apologize, misnomer was not the appropriate word to use. Rather, 8-bit music within the realm of the NES and such is still chiptune.
Raus
Raus
VinylCheese
VinylCheese
@Raus Alright, here's what I've made of your list:

8-bit = chip music (Mostly NES/Famicom)
Chiptune = chip music + studio music
Lo-fi = Gameboy music (4-bit)
Ultrabit = bitcrushed square? + studio music

You seem to separate chiptune from studio chiptune. I also couldn't find any evidence of the last one existing elsewhere.
Raus
Raus
But of course all of this can just go under as chiptunes, but there is enough differentiating characteristics for it to be separate in my opinion.

One thing about 8bit vs chiptunes is that 8bit is drier in a sense, having lesser complexity in the effects and instruments.

As for lo-fi, I don't have enough examples, but there is some minute difference in the sound vs chiptunes.

And what do you mean by me separating chiptunes from studio chiptune?
Raus
Raus
@Yinga
@Thatnamelessguy
I stand corrected then, I had only paid attention to the trailer anyways. I definitely do hear the separate mix of different genres, which is pretty interesting. Overall the song (Only listened to one so far) is pretty darn good...for game music.

@Yinga, I'd hesitate in giving the songs any genre at all frankly ^_^;
Maybe make up one, calling it mixtunes?