Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

BLink
BLink
I play Peach.

Yeah, that's a pretty tiny scene, we get about 20-40 at weeklies and about 100-300 at monthlies/regionals, competition in Oregon is tough.

My best advice for Lucario is learn to reverse B aura ball charge and don't die at 80 or 90%......
BLink
BLink
.....you need the aura to kill.
Also camping is a good idea against most characters, just don't let them stay on top of you as lucario suffers against characters that can rush down and apply pressure like pikachu, falcon, and shiek.

I sadly can't give more advice as I've only put about 40 minutes into the character, but he is pretty good once you can manage the aura properly.
BLink
BLink
As for my competitive scene? We've got a big monthly coming up 3 weeks ago I went to weeklies and made top 16 (would have easily made top 8 had I not tried to edge guard a ness with a counter move... that I've never tried before in practice)
BLink
BLink
Also took a game off of one of the good players, I nearly 2-0'ed him if it wasn't for him spiking me at 30 percent... I almost brought that game back to...

What format do you guys play tournament in? Single elimination or double? 2 stock or 3?

curse the 420 character limit
duncathan
duncathan
lol yeah I know how to play lucario it's ok :p thanks for the tips tho the thought's appreciated

My city's biweeklies run 3 stock 8 mins, double elim; the big monthly runs 2 stock 5 mins, double elim. They also do Melee and PM so it makes sense that they do 2 stock because of time constraints.
duncathan
duncathan
I'm pretty lucky because most of the best players in my city are my best friends with whom I practice all the time, while the other good players do a big monthly practice session and invite us. Everything's planned so that we have some sort of group play (be it our monthly, our biweekly, or our practice) each week, which works out well.
duncathan
duncathan
In my city, I'm currently #5, but I'm also increasing in skill the most rapidly by far, so I'm probably gonna end up hitting top 3 at least for the city. I haven't gone to the big monthly yet so I have no idea what I'm getting into there, but I know which matchups to look out for, so I think I'm gonna do fine.

What character do you play?
lol 420 char limit
BLink
BLink
That's really cool you can play with the top players so often, I have to drive 3 hours to get to tournament. (4 hours this Sunday as it's a regional) so I only get to go every 2 weeks/once a month and I'm stuck playing my bro all the time. Oh well, at least I have the training room and to a lesser extent lvl 9's to body.
BLink
BLink
I Play Princess Peach; one of the best (and I personally think the hardest) Character to play in the game, It's ridiculous training tech compared to other characters float+turnip combos are really hard to get right:

She has by far the most complex combos (putting ryu to shame) and spacing in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhfj5RofZ8
BLink
BLink
That last move the turnip lock took me about 10 hours of practice to get down... and I can only do it on about 60% of the cast as the input is different for every character. I won't go into detail, but basically it's really hard to have 8 different form of muscle memory for nearly identical moves on an already nearly frame perfect hard move.
BLink
BLink
But yeah I have implemented this into my actual game play so it's starting to pay off I would believe I'm the only one this side of the country that's actually put so much conscious effort into it cause I haven't seen anyone else do it in tournament.
BLink
BLink
Peach has really good spacing tools with the ability to cancel a jump into a fast fall (requires float and frame perfect input) and the ability to cover multiple options with turnip and float+Fair being a safe on shield KO'ing move.
BLink
BLink
I personally believer she is top tier because she doesn't suffer against other top tiers and only loses to link, marth, roy, shulk, ike, and lucina. because of their large amount of disjoint.

I would say Ike is a major threat, but he is possibly the easiest character to turnip lock the game..