Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Polaris
Polaris
Well, not quite my /first/ - it's nothing as dead simple as printing out "Funkatronic!". Just a few random but slightly difficult to implement functions, especially the last one which found the distance between two points. (Oh lord, the parentheses.) In the long run it's still dead simple, but I'm fairly pleased ^_^
Noxid
Noxid
cool!
have you considered tackling Arrays and Linked Lists next? They're very useful.
Polaris
Polaris
I haven't heard of Linked Lists, admittedly, but I get the gist of Arrays from prior experience! We'll probably be looking at them in class, but I'll definitely study them in my own time, too - perhaps as soon as tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation :3
Nothing
Nothing
I've made quite a few things in java, but I've never used linked lists. Anyway, congratulations!
Camero
Camero
Good job! You have officially trumped me in programming knowledge.
Noxid
Noxid
even if you only ever treat lists as arrays without a fixed size, they can improve your life significantly.
Nothing
Nothing
Is there a big performance difference between linkedlists and arraylists?
Noxid
Noxid
linked lists don't have a resizing cost but elements always have to be accessed in order. ArrayLists are backed by an array, so if you try to add more than the backing array it has to reallocate and move everything. But you get array-speed element access.
GIRakaCHEEZER
GIRakaCHEEZER
Linked Lists are something you should never have to deal with as a programmer on the front end (they're implemented for Queues and stuff sometimes, but you'll never see the linked list itself?). They're a good thing to learn about though, to give you a grasp on programming basics.
Noxid
Noxid
uhh, linked lists are still useful?
I mean if you don't need random access then it's preferable to an ArrayList IMO if you really don't know the size of the dataset.

now, I wouldn't *implement* one in production, but you can still use it.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
"babby"?