Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Thatnamelessguy
Thatnamelessguy
I disagree with anyone who says it should have a good story again, as it never really did, but I can see these criticisms. The one with Tails is the one I agree with the most. With Sonic, I'm not sure, since I haven't played a Sonic since Generations and haven't seen the new TV Show at all.
BLink
BLink
Have you Played Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2? These games had great and fairly decent plot in them, SA2 is also somewhat sophisticated (and dark).

Even though Gameplay has been crappy pretty much since Heroes-Colours The stories at least had some dignity to them. This was lost when we got colors aka a new writer.
Tpcool
Tpcool
Although it has been some time since I've played SA1/2, I have to agree that it's the best Sonic story. I think SA2 took itself a bit too seriously, especially regarding Shadow and Maria, but it was still done rather well. The stories of the newer games (I haven't played all of the newer ones so I don't speak for all of them) seem much less focused on getting the player motivated to play the next stage and more like "here's a goofy excuse to play our game." Not that there's anything wrong with that (that's basically the plot of every Mega Man game so how could I say it is), but if they decided they wanted to take the next game a step further, like they did with the Adventure series, it'd be a step in the right direction.
Thatnamelessguy
Thatnamelessguy
I agree on "took itself a bit too seriously". That's sorta the problem, it tries too hard to make you take it seriously, when you are playing a game about a blue hedgehog who is fighting an evil scientist named "Dr. Eggman". All the stuff about the government and the secret weapon and shit was weird and I never really cared about it much. But hey, I suppose some people can enjoy that, and that's fine. I just don't feel they need something like that for a simple series like Sonic.
BLink
BLink
Wait.

How can you guys /not/ take Sonic seriously. It was made to be taken seriously back in 1999. Characters were developed and given feelings, (E-102, The ending scene to SatBK, Sonic X third season [subbed]).

I mean, until colours, there was nothing that blatantly said "don't take this seriously plz lol".
Tpcool
Tpcool
Uh, well, the premise and atmosphere of the game. How can you take one look at a blue, cartoon-like hedgehog and take that seriously?

The Adventure series have the only Sonic games worth taking seriously, anyway. Are you telling me that you took the original sonic games on the Genesis seriously? What was there to take seriously?!?