Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Goldenblade
Goldenblade
I honestly have no idea. It's quite a pleasure to hear from you, and having NOT been the one who started the conversation, it's kind of a big deal for me. I played your 4th ending mod and enjoyed it so much that I decided I'd try my hand at making a mod of my own. I saw the video on youtube at first. One of the most convincing pranks I've ever seen in my life, I was actually about to pick up my system and start a new game. Very well done. Congrats. I don't know how it is that I was using the messenger. Maybe it's a problem with the tech.
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
Heh, thanks. Yeah, these forums recently had a software update, and a few glitches have sprung up, and maybe that's one of them. Did your message successfully send? Anyway, the real reason I wanted to message you was because I kinda feel for you with this community and your initial experience. This is definitely not the most friendly community, and to be quite honest, some of the people here can be outright jerks at times. And sometimes it really gets on my nerves to see new members get picked on. For quite a while, most of the new members have been young and immature, and really been an annoyance which is usually met with flaming by the established users. Of course the young and immature kids arriving annoy me, but what annoys me even more is that the established users handle it by flaming. And what really makes me sick is when the newer member who got flamed and wasn't really trying to do anything wrong gets the idea into his head that the only way to be liked here is to be a jerk, and starts trying to get accepted by flaming an even newer member. Not only does said newer member almost always do it in a way that it's blatantly obvious he's just trying to look cool, but the even newer member starts feeling unwelcome because of this new member's flame and continues this vicious cycle. Not only that, but this community has developed a prejudice toward any new member that isn't over the age of seventeen and doesn't immediately be outright amazing. Sometimes said newer member makes a really, really minor mistake, and since this community has become so sensitive to new members, the established users start getting snippy over something minor. And I feel that's what was happening to you, and I want you to know that you weren't really doing much wrong. To be honest, I did think your problem with not being able to open ZIPs was silly, and I admit I did laugh at the replies, but I still did feel sorry for you that you had that kind of first experience. But there are also some benefits of being a part of these forums. Even though you didn't shock the whole forums upon joining like 43501 did when she joined just a few days ago, I still think you're a lot more mature than a lot of other new members we've had, so I hope you decide to stay. There are some nice people here that you can only rile up on purpose, but not a lot of them. The most you can do is try to get along, and feel sorry for the people who flame other new members for their personal amusement.
Goldenblade
Goldenblade
I can see where the cold reception is coming from when you take into account the fact that, as you said: "For quite a while, most of the new members have been young and immature, and really been an annoyance which is usually met with flaming by the established users." Also, my message DID send. I noticed that I had 10 forum posts at the time that the messenger started working, so maybe it was posts and not days. I appreciate your sympathy, and I'm really starting to like this place. It's like a song that starts off really bad, and then gets really catchy. (Michael Jackson's "Black or White") that part about MJ is a joke, FYI. He's actually the man who inspired me to become a singer. I'm not any kind of big singer, but I sing for my classmates, the people at my girlfriend's youth group, and I sing whenever I have a good song stuck in my head. What's your dream?
duncathan
duncathan
"And what really makes me sick is when the newer member who got flamed and wasn't really trying to do anything wrong gets the idea into his head that the only way to be liked here is to be a jerk, and starts trying to get accepted by flaming an even newer member. Not only does said newer member almost always do it in a way that it's blatantly obvious he's just trying to look cool, but the even newer member starts feeling unwelcome because of this new member's flame and continues this vicious cycle."
Who are you talking about here Hayden
I sincerely hope it isn't me
"Not only that, but this community has developed a prejudice toward any new member that isn't over the age of seventeen and doesn't immediately be outright amazing."
That isn't true, I was horrible when I first joined, worse than many other new members. I'm still not outright amazing, and nobody's really prejudiced against me. Keep in mind that I'm one of the youngest members of these forums.
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
@Dunc
I'm not going to name any names on the first quote, because you never know who will see this post. There are numerous instances, not just one.

I'm not necessarily talking about after they've been here for some time. I said any new member that meets those criteria. Not necessarily after they've been here for some time and gotten along with the people here. I'm talking about the fact that almost this entire community expects any new member with those criteria to be awful. After they've been here for some time it's not all that bad, but they sure usually aren't treated that nicely when they first join. You could clearly see that when Nutty got flamed for making several silly games, someone said something like "I've had it with these 13-year-olds!" Obviously something he wouldn't have said if there weren't any 13-year-olds prior to him that spammed or exhibited any kind of immaturity. He was clearly the straw that broke the camel's back. And that's what my point is with this community's prejudice against any new member that doesn't suddenly start acting like 43501 did upon joining.

@Goldenblade
Huh, interesting. So you were able to use the messenger after having ten posts. I'll have to tell andwhy. Nice. I'm not much of a singer. Oh, and my dream is to become a mechanical engineer.
Goldenblade
Goldenblade
Like Montgomery Scott or Kaywinnit Lee Frye. (Yeah. I kind of OWN the word Nerd. (Not literally.))
duncathan
duncathan
Okay, even so, I wasn't really flamed when I was new. Honestly, look through my very early post history and you'll see that I was worse than several of the members here.
Captain Fabulous
Captain Fabulous
"acting like 43501 did upon joining"
Reading old threads, being polite, not immediately posting a stupid mod idea that she needs at least 3 people to help her with.
These are all pretty basic things, and not many new members do all three. After dozens and dozens of stupid members that just won't stop being stupid, I've given up trying to help them. And when I say stupid, I mean they're also too lazy and easily distracted to read your giant walls of text, Hayden, so you're probably not helping either. If Goldenblade didn't fit the stereotype of "help i need 2 make gr8est moad ever how use computer" he might have gotten a warmer reception. This is a situation where lurking before joining would help immensely.
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
@Dunc
I never said I was referring to you in particular. I'm talking about new members in general.

@Fab
The problem with this community is that they've become so sensitive to new members that act silly, almost everyone here has gone colorblind between <a href='http://www.cavestory.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4172-my-moddal-wip/' class='bbc_url' title=''>people who come out, know nothing about how to mod and ignored all the stickies, and claims to be making the greatest mod ever, asking only in return for a team of a dozen supporting script writers, artists, and music composers</a> and <a href='http://www.cavestory.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4074-cave-johnson-story/' class='bbc_url' title=''>people who merely ask for ideas, and if asking for any help at all, only do it mildly</a>. And Goldenblade is one of the latter.
Goldenblade
Goldenblade
@Hayden
Thanks a million, Hayden. I'm happy to know that people see me as the latter.
duncathan
duncathan
Okay Hayden I want you to take into account what the topic of the second thread you linked was.
Cave Johnson Story.
So even though they were just asking for ideas, think of the ideas they were asking for.
In the case of Goldenblade, we were telling him in the way we talk to people normally to get something that can unzip files, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to do anything.