Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Lace
Lace
Wedge of Cheese
Wedge of Cheese
Pretty nice. I think I would make it less water overall, but more rivers and perhaps other smaller bodies of water on the mainland.
Lace
Lace
<a href='http://i.imgur.com/KMwyk.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Two color version</a>
Also what exactly would you do to decrease total water? Add another continent? Crop to the right side of the map?
I fear that if we take away too much water it'll all just look odd. Inland lakes were omitted for sake of shading-ease.
Wedge of Cheese
Wedge of Cheese
Idk, anything really. To clarify, is this a map of the entire planet or just the playable area?
Lace
Lace
I was thinking whole planet.
Wedge of Cheese
Wedge of Cheese
Ah, well in that case, yeah I like the amount of water.
Lace
Lace
Howsabout a bioweapon causes the destruction of the Abr culture. This way megafauna etc would be more likely to propogate then if like massive explosions had happened. If explosions were the case, megafauna would likely be the first to go, and that would be less fun gameplaywise.
Wedge of Cheese
Wedge of Cheese
Sounds good
Lace
Lace
A bulletpointed history. I have no idea how long each thing would take, so you can add times as you wish. Any objections? <div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px"><b>Spoiler</b> : <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:60px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show'; }">
</div>
<div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset; display: none;">
<div>
- The Ancient Peoples of Rhas work together to form the Ethr in hopes of creating a lossless, unsabotageable global power network. The Abrian tongue, already a lingua franca due to the Abr's economic strength, is adapted to coordinate the project.

- The Ethr is created. It is manipulable via thought and is a virtually inexhasutable resource, as various maintenence-free generators have been set up to feed it. Each nation creates a different type of generator in order to insure the longevity of the project; the types of generators include those powered by solar and wind energy, those that emulate fungi and other scavenger plants, and those meant to consume the radioactive waste characteristic of the previous generations' nuclear generators.

- Problems with the Ethr rise to prominence, most notably including its extreme volatility and tendency to polarize into irreconcilable modes of operation, coloquially referred to as elements.

- War breaks out between the perpetually-feuding states of XXXX and YYYY, each blaming the other for the failure of the Ethr. XXXX preempts YYYY's attack, and various allies get dragged into the fray, leading to a WWI type escalation within minutes. The Ethr responds to the widespread destructive intent by manifesting essentially as a massive solar flare, destroying all non-Ethr based technology on Rhas. Both sides release bioweapons, which, fueled by the Ethr, go on to destroy most of humanity (or whatever).

- Surviving groups seek eachother out. As the Abrian tongue is universal to all the cultures of Rhas, it forms a kind of global superstrate, leaving languages alone only when their speakers were isolated from other cultures or survived in sufficient quantity to be self dependent.

- Two kinds of societies emerge. The first consists of those who choose to inhabit the cities left empty by the apocalyptic event, and form an agricultural order. The second type of society, consisting of those who choose to avoid the remnants of the previous civilizations, become groups of migratory fisherman and hunter-gatherers.

- Due to the diminshed numbers of humans (or whatever), megafauna now lack major predators and have an excess of prey, and thus rearise to prominence on Rhas.

- With a dearth of humans to tap it, the Ethr bubbles over, now accessible unintentionally through intense emotion, song, or certain motions. r-strategists (animals which reproduce quickly) become able to use the Ethr to their advantage. Many K-strategists, including humans (or whatever) and some of the previously mentioned megafauna, start killing themselves off accidentally. Megafauna which don't kill themselves off explode in numbers, as there are now exponentially fewer animals in their ecological niche.

- Humans (or whatver) start using the bones and pelts of animals that can manipulate the Ethr as foci in order to help their own manipulation of the ethr. As a whole, humans (or whatever) start moving towards a feudal political system in order to be protected from massive and/or magical predators.

- The increased population density...