Your most memorable level from a game.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:10 PM
"Huzzah!"
I have some questions for you guys:

1. What's your most memorable level from your favorite game?

2. What's your most memorable level from Cave Story?

(Explain why if you want to, but you don't have to. Also, try to avoiding anything that may spoil the game (unless it's cave story.))

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:29 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Not sure if this is considered a level in the traditional sense

but Last Corridor from Undertale

Especially during a true pacifist run. Call me weak, but San's dialog made me cry.

In Cave Story, probably Sacred Ground / Blood Stained Sanctuary. Seriously, once you know how to not die, its a pretty fun level / challenge.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
When I made it into Arsenal Gear in Metal Gear Solid 2. That place was so different from the rest of the game, and that's where the game really starts to fuck with your head.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Land of the Livid Dead from Rayman Origins would be my favourite level from a gameplay perspective.

I should note that my favourite game and my favourite level are two very different things. My favourite game is Illusion of time, and the levels are so well done in terms of aesthetics and gameplay that I can't decide.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:58 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
For me, it's definitely Volkan Inferno from Klonoa 2. It was such an epic and tense level all around. With the mood set by the city burning, the superb up-tempo versions of the city/boss theme playing, and the awesome second encounter with the boss you thought you defeated, it was just as exciting and memorable to play when I revisited the game as it was when I first played it as a child. A stand-out moment from an already near-perfect game, in my opinion.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:32 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Axiom Verge isn't quite my favorite game, but it definitely holds the most memorable level I've ever played. The first trip through Ukkin-Na is sheer insanity and left my heart pounding. =o

As for Cave Story, the aftermath of the Core boss (particularly the Waterway and Curly draining sequence) had a special mood that few other areas of the game approached. The closest were the Balcony and Core buildup sequence, my other two favorites levels.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:54 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Difficult question... I can think of many memorable levels for various reasons. Good or bad. So I'll just go with my default choice:

The Tower from Ys I reigns as a set of levels that I've replayed many times through various remakes. "Forever wandering the tower" as my location says, originally because my first playthrough managed to bypass an area that basically is game breaking. And instead the final door says something along the lines as an ominous force prevents you from continuing... Since I never restarted the game for years, I'd occasionally play the game wandering the tower looking for something... It wasn't until much later and I was older that I decided to restart the game, and figured out just what had happened lol.

The tower is certainly not the best level, but it is memorable. Plus a haunting song.
Just look how many times it has been officially remade...

As for Cave Story... Hm. Most memorable level huh? I'm tempted to say from the start of the Labyrinth to the Core (if that counts..). It was the transition from just a game, to something special for me. When Toroko died, the stark emptiness of the Labyrinth complimented my feeling of loss. And then everything that followed was quite awesome.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:24 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I don't know if it counts as a stage, but I really liked Stone Tower Temple in Majora's Mask.
The puzzles where kinda tough during my first playthrough which made it really fun, and the miniboss is still a little of a challenge to me and I really loved fighting Twinmold there. Also, I really like the music there, which made me enjoy it even more.

As for Cave Story, my favorite 'stage' would be the Outer Wall. The tileset's base color fits well with the nightime background, which, among some other things, really set a calming mood over the stage.
The music, which I also like, really helped bring this mood up too.
If Pixel would ever release paid dlc for a challenge that is basicly a bigger version of outer wall, I'd seriously consider buying it.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:44 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
The sniper mission in GTA: Mars.....er...uhhh......Red Faction Guerrilla.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:44 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
i like how neither of the questions are the same one as the title

i don't even really have a favorite game so for the title... i guess frost man's stage from mega man 8 because of the funny voice saying "Jump! Jump!" "Slide! Slide!"
for a game and level I don't hate, I guess the train chapter from paper mario 2 because it was cool and different and fun, the first russian guy stage from mega man 4 because of the music, battle before dawn from fire emblem because the story was cool there and the level itself was really tough, pretty much all of sonic adventure probably because of how much i played it as a kid but also maybe because of how good the music was, and the knuckles levels from the sequel because of all those absolutely beautiful songs

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
To put X-Calibar's choice in context, imagine if the end game dungeon for an RPG takes up half of your total playtime for said game. That is Darm Tower from Ys I.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:36 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I have some questions for you guys:

1. What's your most memorable level from your favorite game?

2. What's your most memorable level from Cave Story?

(Explain why if you want to, but you don't have to. Also, try to avoiding anything that may spoil the game (unless it's cave story.))
1. I have a lot of favorite games… so I'm going to list my top three.
  • La-Mulana, it would be the Dimensional Corridor. The music, the area theme, the bosses…
  • Kingdom Hearts… a difficult choice, but the Dive to the Heart "level", if only due to the battle theme and the design of the areas.
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, it would be the final area. (Spoilers, though.)
2. Outer Wall, because of the music. Kinda sad that there's no boss, though…