Word "expression" in post is changed

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Edit: Here is a clearer description of the problem, now that I understand it better.

Note: The basic edit mode is what happens when you click on the little light switch icon (the first icon) in the post editing box. It disables all the other buttons and lets you enter code manually. The advanced edit mode is when all the buttons are enabled and you see the formatting effects in the edit box.

If you use the basic edit mode, and your post contains the word expression, then when you preview your post, the word expression is changed in the edit box to exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n. If you click Post or click Preview again, then the word is permanently changed to exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n. People using the basic edit mode have to be careful of these changes in the edit box to avoid their posts getting mangled.

If you use the advanced edit mode, or if you use the basic edit mode but immediately click Post without previewing, you won't notice any problems in the edit box. However, you can look at the source code of the page with your post on it to see the actual HTML is changed to exp<b></b>ression, which messes up links with the word expression in them.

If you use the basic edit mode and you need to use the word expression in your post, a workaround is to compose your post in Notepad, and copy and paste into the edit box each time you want to preview or post. As long as the edit box has the unmodified word expression in it when you click Post, the resulting post looks okay.

I only noticed this because I use the basic edit mode and I recently posted something with the word expression in it. Each time I previewed, the word expression was changed in the edit box. I found the following page in the IPBoard Bug Tracker which seems to describe the same bug:

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/problem-with-word-expression-in-links-r38960

You might eventually upgrade the forum software to fix this. Until then, I just wanted to let everyone know about the problem.

In my original post, shown below, I wasn't aware the advanced editor didn't have the problem, so many responders didn't experience the same results.

Just FYI: If you use the word expression in a post it gets changed to exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n on the actual page. This bug is listed on the following page:
http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/problem-with-word-expression-in-links-r38960
(The address has the word expression in it, so I had to make it a text link.)

I use the edit mode where you enter code directly, and I usually preview before posting. Each time I previewed, the word expression was changed in the edit box. You might eventually upgrade the forum software to fix this. Until then, a workaround is to compose your post in Notepad, and copy and paste into the edit box each time you want to preview or post. As long as the edit box has the unmodified word expression in it when you click Post, the resulting post looks okay.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:27 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
expression
edit: I don't get it

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
If you use the basic edit mode and you preview your post, the word expression is changed in the edit box to exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n. If you click Post or click Preview again, then the word is permanently changed to exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n. People using the basic edit mode have to be careful of these changes in the edit box to avoid their posts getting mangled.

If you use the advanced edit mode, or if you use the basic edit mode but immediately click Post without previewing, you won't notice any problems in the edit box. However, you can look at the source code of the page with your post on it to see the actual HTML is changed to exp<b></b>ression, which messes up links with the word expression in them.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Been here way too long...
But that just isn't true.
expression expression expression

I don't understannnnnnnd

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Successful troll is successful. I'm expression ... less.

Funny how you used &#111;
This would normally be the ASCII letter 'o', right?

In the programming language Python 3 (and its later versions), using chr(111, mode='easteregg') converts the integer 111 into a special non-ASCII char.

diph.php

Yep.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Lace said:
But that just isn't true.
expression expression expression

I don't understannnnnnnd
That is shown as:
exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n
in the source code. While visually the same on your screen that b tag that is inserted in the middle breaks links.

Essentially this happens:
http://community.inv...m-with-word-expression-in-links-r38960

The link is broken because it contains the word "expression".

Additionally editing or previewing your post results in source mode results in all instances of "expression" being changed to exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Not anymore
That is pointless.

So you're saying you care about expression being weirdly marked up so that your computer reads it differently?
But it looks exactly the same as a normal word 'expression'. Humans do not see the HTML.

Links aren't that big of a deal. Just use a different displayed name than the actual URL.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Carrotlord said:
That is pointless.

So you're saying you care about exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n being weirdly marked up so that your computer reads it differently?
But it looks exactly the same as a normal word 'exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n'. Humans do not see the HTML.

Links aren't that big of a deal. Just use a different displayed name than the actual URL.
There are two points you missed:
1. This breaks link href IN ADDITION TO displayed name. Try linking to this thread, I dare you.
2. This causes problems when editing or previewing posts with the editor in bbcode mode since every instance of the word exp<b></b>ressi&#111;n in the post completely spazzes out every time you do so, as demonstrated by me editing and saving my own post.

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:25 AM
Not anymore
There are two points you missed:
1. This breaks link href IN ADDITION TO displayed name. Try linking to this thread, I dare you.
2. This causes problems when editing or previewing posts with the editor in bbcode mode since every instance of the word expressi&#111;n in the post completely spazzes out every time you do so, as demonstrated by me editing and saving my own post.

Is there a fix?

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
IPB v3.4 should solve the problem when it comes out of beta and into a stable release.