Who is the most overrated character in this game, in your opinion?

Who would you consider the most overrated character in this game?

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Sue

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • King

• Toroko

• Balrog

• Curly

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Chako

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kanpachi

• Misery

• The Doctor

• Ballos

• Other

• Jack?

Votes: 18 56.3%

• Total voters
Oct 21, 2015 at 11:39 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
As much as I love this game, I have to admit, its cast of characters is seriously overrated in a big way. Therefore, I picked out the eleven main offenders and arranged them into this voting poll.

Basically, which of these characters just really pisses you off with the amount of hype that he/she recieves on the Internet?

For me, it would have to be Sue. Everyone on Deviantart and most of the furry community in general would always constantly idolize her to no end, and as for the appeal behind her, I really don't see it. Toroko, Jack, Chie...hell, I would argue that even Chako was far cuter than Sue.

Also, she started out (in the game) as a total dick and generally fell rather squarely into the tired old "anthro human" and "damsel in distress" clichés, despite being ridiculously adorable in both human form and Mimiga form.

So, what do you think? Leave your votes here! :mahin:

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:40 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jack isn't on the list. Please add "Jack".

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Jack isn't on the list. Please add "Jack".

That doesn't seem fair. I mean, he's pretty underrated by the general CS community, but...I mean, come on, really? Maybe people just like to make him interesting by giving him an actual personality. Personally, I really don't see why people would vote him over Quote, Toroko, and even Sue FFS.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2015 at 12:18 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
all of them, because none of them matter

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:42 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
People talk about Jack all the fucking time and it annoys me so much

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The game overrates Jack. He is the number two of the village, yet he is an underwritten character that does nothing in the grand scheme of things.

You never specified if the character was overrated by the game or the community.

Also where is the option for chinfish?

People talk about Jack all the fucking time and it annoys me so much
It's really just xandermartin98, or us in reaction to him.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2015 at 1:15 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I really should do a better job with my sarcasm
Wait, so you were sarcastic about being annoyed about talk of Jack? Shoot, I'm complicating it more myself >_<

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:47 AM
The game overrates Jack. He is the number two of the village, yet he is an underwritten character that does nothing in the grand scheme of things.

You never specified if the character was overrated by the game or the community.

Also where is the option for chinfish?

It's really just xandermartin98, or us in reaction to him.

Chinfish doesn't even count as a character IMO. Which is part of why I made the "other" category. XD
Also, this list is about characters being widespreadly overrated by the entire fanbase of the game, in which case Sue definitely takes the cake...
with Kanpachi being a close second due to the fact that these forums treated him as being literally the Chuck Norris of the game.

And yeah, by and large, Jack really isn't overrated. If anything, I would say that the fact that he should have had a much bigger role shows that he is also quite underrated by the game as well.

Personally, I've always found nearly all of this game's characters to be incredibly one-dimensional. Is it just me, or was Toroko's sole purpose literally just to be as cloyingly chibi-cute, cuddly, chubby-cheeked, innocent and adorable as humanly possible in order to forcefully force sympathy out of the players when they have to kill her? Honestly, I think Cavernous Storybook was kind of right about her.

I really should do a better job with my sarcasm

Actually, my favorite part in all of your CS mod Let's Plays (aside from John Cena) was that bit in Before Story where you somehow forgot which character in Mimiga Village wore a tall hat. So don't feel too bad about that. :mahin:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2015 at 5:34 AM
Tbh xander we all just kinda wanna fuck with you and vote jack just because we know he's your favorite
Take a look at the poll, the only vote not on him is your own

I'm well aware. I was just explaining why it's stupid. I mean, you've got Quote, Curly, Sue, Toroko, Misery, Doctor, and even fucking Balrog sitting right there. Generally speaking, no one who isn't trolling would vote Jack over all of those guys combined.

Most of these characters are main characters in the game and are important, and are represented strongly outside of the game's community because of this. They are not "overrated". A better poll would be something like "Who in your opinion is the most popular character in cave story".
And like others have pointed out, because of your efforts, Jack is probably one of the objective top picks for the current poll (in relation to this community at the least). He is a pointless character after all (O:

Sometimes, the most pointless characters in-game are also some of the hottest ones. :mahin:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2015 at 6:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kanpachi would take the cake because, yes, he is the Chuck Norris of the forums, although no-one will admit that because he is the Chuck Norris of the forums.

Jack has been touted to death by you. So naturally people are over it and think that he is overrated.

And I can't really think of any other character in that list that I would consider overrated. Sorry but I really don't agree with you regarding Quote, Curly, Sue, Toroko, Misery, The Doctor, or Balrog.

Then again asking the CS community about what characters are overrated in the CS community isn't exactly the most productive of notions.

A most underrated character thread would have been better.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2015 at 1:20 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
I'm well aware. I was just explaining why it's stupid. I mean, you've got Quote, Curly, Sue, Toroko, Misery, Doctor, and even fucking Balrog sitting right there. Generally speaking, no one who isn't trolling would vote Jack over all of those guys combined.
see the problem is most of us don't give a shit about whatever crazy fanbase actually cares significantly about all these characters
so the majority of our exposure to someone who cares an annoying amount about an insignificant character
is you

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Professional Whatever
Most of these characters are main characters in the game and are important, and are represented strongly outside of the game's community because of this. They are not "overrated". A better poll would be something like "Who in your opinion is the most popular character in cave story".
And like others have pointed out, because of your efforts, Jack is probably one of the objective top picks for the current poll (in relation to this community at the least). He is a pointless character after all (O:

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:11 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Something really only feels overrated to me if it's constantly being shoved in my face as "this is thing you have to like" - you know, things like product placement for Frozen or Minions. If I have to see it everywhere as the "best thing ever" without actually putting effort into looking for fandom related stuff of that kind, it usually does get overrated.

I can't really think of any particular character in Cave Story that seems overrated; the game imo isn't even overrated as a whole. Maybe it's because I don't spend a lot of time looking for Cave Story related fanart. But from what I've seen, there's a good enough balance of all the mainish characters.

So yeah, as Doors and Nameless said, the only character who's really been getting overhyped at this time is Jack. And I kind of have to agree.

(Also I agree that an underrated character thread would have been more ideal.)

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:40 AM
"Forever coffee..."
I have to agree. Sue is horribly overrated. She shows up out of nowhere hating everyone and locks herself inside some dead guy's home. There's one person that's ever nice to her and she never even said thanks. I guess a locket works, but that's it for the gratefulness part. She mocks King's physical appearance "calling him 'creep-eyed'" that he has no control over and never expresses any sort of sadness over the fact that a misunderstood leader who's lost a lot and a friggin' little girl whose older brother wasn't there for her DIED and were just trying to help her. Not to mention the countless other mimiga that were killed. She only ever showed affection to Booster, Momorin, and Kazuma. And even then, she could always be faking.

She isn't even furry material! She was a frickin' human! And she turned back into one! I'M not even a furry and I can see that!

(I love skewing arguments. I see there are a lot of holes in the argument. Feel free to fight back, I like it when people fight me.)

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:53 AM
War criminal
Being edgy =/= being overrated. Sue isn't even all over your plane of vision to begin with (in case you mean the actual definition of overrated).

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:58 AM
Perpetually out of it
Maybe people just like to make him interesting by giving him an actual personality.
Headcanon, especially from erotic fan fiction, doesn't make a character more interesting to a community if few people accept it

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2015 at 3:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
@xandermartin98: I might also add to that that you are trying too damn hard to push your headcanon onto the rest of us.