Which do you prefer? +bonus question

Do you prefer Cave Story's slower speed? Or the quicker Cave Story+'s?

• Total voters
Jan 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I originally started this topic to see which speed people prefer to play Cave Story at...
The slower original Cave Story speed or the Cave Story+ faster speed.

Do people find the faster speed to be much more challenging?

This is because, I discovered using the Cheat Engine, I can slow down Cave Story+ to Cave Story's original speed, and likewise speed up Cave Story to Cave Story+'s speed!

You can set it to other speeds as well... but... don't be a cheater xD

I also noticed you can post more than one question so... I decided to try that out!

PS - The votes are visible, I'm assuming(hoping) that means you can see who voted for what~ :D

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've always liked the 50 fps frame rate. It just feels to me like the silkiest speed at which to be playing it. Not too fast but not too slow. At 60 fps, the Booster can be a bit hard to use, which is annoying. Additionally, playing it at 60 fps makes it easier for players to get a faster Hell time, which I think is kinda cheap. For some reason the 60 frame rate bothered me a lot more in the Wiiware version than it did in CS+, but I suppose almost everything did.

The one and only remix NICALiS has made that matches up to Pixel's original work is "Cave Story 3D (Main Theme, Website version 1)". Other than that, the remastered soundtrack sometimes doesn't have the flare of epicness the original counterpart had (i.e., Last Battle), or induce the same sense of urgency (i.e., Run!). The remastered soundtrack was okay, but it just doesn't live up to the original in my opinion. Oh, and the "New" music tracks all sound like their original counterparts at half speed placed in side of a bubble gurgling mouthwash into a broken microphone, save for "Running Hell". Even the supposedly patched versions didn't really sound much better.

Note that there is a distinct possibility that I'm just saying this because I was introduced to the original Cave Story, and fell in love with it before I even knew NICALiS existed. And I may also be on the borderline of bashing NICALiS because I'm a perfectionist and due to my appreciation for the freeware Cave Story's near perfection, I now notice almost every flaw in NICALiS' ports, and have reached a level of prejudice to the point where the only thing I'm willing to accept as a legitimate upgrade in any of their ports is the 2x res graphics.

And if I were a Cave Story character, I'd be Quote, because I could fill him with my own personality.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I prefer the higher FPS more than the original. I'd say the greatest reason for this is that I almost never play the PC version (unless it's a mod). I started out with the Wiiware version and bought every port released on a Nintendo console since. I'm sure it is easier to do Hell with the lower FPS, I just haven't really tried it.

As for the music, I picked the original. The "New" music is awful, with a few exceptions. The 3DS music is pretty great, and a lot of those songs beat the originals. I still think the original songs are slightly better overall.

And for character, I dunno Sue I guess.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:56 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Speed: the original. I feel most at home with this speed, and I feel that the story spans out nicer at that pace. I was playing CS+ the other day and found that I've gotten to the Sand Zone way faster than I usually would have had. Maybe it's just me loving everything about the original that I'm finding petty reasoning to prefer the original over the +. lol

Music: the original. I thought I wouldn't really have any opinion on this, but I guess I just kinda really miss the original music especially since I dabbled a little bit in modding before CS+ was even released.

Character: I voted Other. I would be like Arthur, actually. By that, I mean dead. No heroics. Okay that's what I wanted to type initially, but upon further thought... Itoh. I'm a coward, and I (probably will) have a talent that will be useful in some way, I hope.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
1.cave story + since i am a i-want-to-finish-this-game-FAST kind of person the + suits me

2.Original is the best.

3.that sky dragon 00 :p

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
1. Yeah, Cave Story+'s (PC) Higher framerate kinda irked me. That original 50 FPS is perfect for me. Though, CSWii didn't seem to go at 60 FPS for me. Along with the FPS of the CSWii and the fact a Wii Remote was perfect for Cave Story's controls (In my eyes), everything was great. Although, I can't deny PC controls were very good too.

2. To be honest, I'm a mixed bag. Some of the New tracks were just more somber and better fit the situations at hand (My god the new Geothermal and its little jingle in the background that only appears once always gets me). The Original songs were great too, but some of them just seemed a bit too peppy, or something. I'd rather have custom soundtrack to be an option in one of the hundred ports Nicalis has made.

On the 3D version, those are made by Danny B. I love Danny B's work. This is no exception (I'd rather have Website Version 1 be the main theme though).

3. I'll just be Halloween Quote, as seen in my avatar. I like the blue attire and awesome red eyes.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
1. Honestly, no clue since I've never gotten CS+ to run...probably the original then, on the account that it actually works
2. Tough choice, but probably the original orgs! Although some of the wii versions are really cute and relaxing... The remastered ones are nice but they lost the distinctive 8-bit feel.
3. Kazuma because he lives in all 3 endings

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
1. The CS+ speed. I much prefer a more fast paced game, reather than the 50 frames the original does.

2. The original, because the remastered is preeeeetty good, although the wii music is just EEAKGH.

3. Kenpachi. Nothing, and i mean nothing, beats fishing.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:16 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Honestly, I kinda prefer CS+'s speed, but I also like the original CS speed. (When I tried to do normal speedruns before I got CS+, I thought my computer was bad, I never knew that CS played at 50 fps until I looked it up.) All in all, I think CS+ is my final option.

Music... My god. I'd be here all day. Every song has something good they did in one soundtrack, but another part of it would suck horrendously. (EX: Living Waterway in CS sounded awesome, but in the Remastered, (3DS) it sucks.) Then there's the songs that sound great in all versions. (EX: Moonsong, Mimiga Village) I just voted Other because I wouldn't mind listening to any of them. They're all good.

Character:
Same deal with the Music section... It's hard knowing that a certain character will die if you choose them, but if you could "Tweak" the ending you get,
*Cough* *Cough* Hayden's hidden 4th ending *Cough* *Cough*
then it's kinda easy. (Not much) I'm torn between like, 4 people. (King, Jack, Kenpachi, Quote) King is awesome with his blade. Jack has the hat and the glasses. Kenpachi is the lone fisher. (To be honest, I don't like fishing much, but it'd be fun to just fish solo, quietly) and most people want to be the main protagonist. (Quote in this example) In the end, I think I'd prefer King the most.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
CS fo sho when it comes to speed, CS+ just isn't floaty enough

For character I picked Sue because her personality matched mine best (semi-angsty teen)

But oh maaan, music

Aight well, I'll start by saying that the New songs are complete shit, hands down.
The other two are more complicated. For the games they were initially in, (CS freeware for Original and CS3D for Remastered) each soundtrack was perfect. But what about CS+? It neither has the low-resolution charm that fit so well with Original, or the high-definition super-detailed models and backgrounds that were perfect for the style of Remastered. I generally go for Remastered, as if I want to listen to Original, I'll want Original graphics too, and I'll also want the original translation. So, if I want that I just play CS. IMO, however, for listening on their own, these all pale in comparison to the songs from the CSRPs, especially the first (no offense anyone). To be fair, the soundtracks are meant to be played on a loop and you can't do that well on an iPod or MP3 player, so the once-through songs of the Remix Projects make much more sense to be listened to as music.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
1. CS's default speed is how Pixel intended Quote to move around, and if a man spends more than a year just on the physics, then he must be doing something right. CS+ feels too much like every other platformer imo.

2.ORG, easily. Not to say the rest is bad, but again, the man gave his game chiptune music, it was probably what he wanted or the game.

3. Kazuma, because he escapes alive, has a pretty dry sense of humor, and uses computers a lot.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
1. CS's default speed is how Pixel intended Quote to move around, and if a man spends more than a year just on the physics, then he must be doing something right. CS+ feels too much like every other platformer imo.
That's not actually true. Pixel wanted the game to run at 60fps, but due to certain monitors refresh rates messing up with 60fps, he made it 50fps.

The game feels more natural at 60fps. It feels sluggish at 50fps after you've been playing one of the 60fps ports for awhile.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I finally decided to vote on my own questions xD

I suppose I'll side with the original slower 50fps look... I do love the faster thrill of 60fps, and probably will play that more often now.
But. That more noticably floaty feel is quite unique, and it's hard to let go.

As for music, I usually listen to Remastered now, but I chose the Original as my favorite since I still haven't heard 'perfect for me' adaptions for the songs I fell in love with. Remastered isn't quite what I'd want... Still great mixes. New on the other hand...

Oh and which character would I be... I almost chose The Doctor, but he is too ruthless and not well developed.
I ended up picking Misery, though if I had to pick someone more like myself I might end up with the Gunsmith or Santa @_@

Sidenote :
Has anyone listened to the Ika song in the New music collection? Is that actually in the Wii version? Is that the Ikachan song? I haven't played it in years...
\Cave Story+\data\base\Ogg\ika.ogg

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I wondered what happened on his b-day...
Thanks dunc!

(April 29th)

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I like both the org and Wii versions of the music(don't judge me).

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dunc2403 said:
CS fo sho when it comes to speed, CS+ just isn't floaty enough

For character I picked Sue because her personality matched mine best (semi-angsty teen)

But oh maaan, music

Aight well, I'll start by saying that the New songs are complete shit, hands down.
The other two are more complicated. For the games they were initially in, (CS freeware for Original and CS3D for Remastered) each soundtrack was perfect. But what about CS+? It neither has the low-resolution charm that fit so well with Original, or the high-definition super-detailed models and backgrounds that were perfect for the style of Remastered. I generally go for Remastered, as if I want to listen to Original, I'll want Original graphics too, and I'll also want the original translation. So, if I want that I just play CS. IMO, however, for listening on their own, these all pale in comparison to the songs from the CSRPs, especially the first (no offense anyone). To be fair, the soundtracks are meant to be played on a loop and you can't do that well on an iPod or MP3 player, so the once-through songs of the Remix Projects make much more sense to be listened to as music.
Agreed on music. The original is the best, the remastered is pretty good, but the new music is TURRIBLE

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think the original is the best.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I kinda hate myself now, because I can't stand CS+'s fast speed. I found out the easy way to get Cave Story on the PsP, so I started to play that a lot. Now, I'm used to 50fps Cave Story and have some trouble playing CS+... (I can basically do everything, it just takes me some time.)
I still go with my opinion on the music though. Some tracks are good in one version and some are awful in others.