Which CS mod do you like at most?

Which CS mod(s) do you like at most on this site?

• Total voters
May 30, 2012 at 5:34 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Why is Jenka's Nightmare not on there

I mean seriously, it's like

THE Cave Story mod

It's actually the reason I joined the forums in the first place!

But anyway, I chose Nixod Story, for a few reasons:

1. My cameo
2. Being able to let windy kill Noxid
3. Being able to kill Noxid myself
4. The most important, the cat room :3

Oh and also windy really had fun against the last boss of Noxid Story, especially when he died.

May 30, 2012 at 5:42 AM
Based Member
As for absolute most favorite, WTF? Story, all the way! Seriously, that mod almost rivals with the original Cave Story. So you allowed us to choose more than one option? I went ahead and selected JNR and King's Story as some of my selections as well.

May 30, 2012 at 5:47 AM
Based Member
Also, is the intent to let you select only active mods? Cause there are some other acclaimed mods that are abandoned that a lot of people liked. Like Curly Brace's Story, and Schism.

May 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
Jenka's Nightmare (original), Magic~, The Future, The Crowned Witch, Lost Mage and Pirate, Tale of the Broxxus (all versions), Curly Story, The Dark Platform, Julian's King, Labyrinth, The Mimiga Army, Original Sin, Path of Ruin, The Show, Tower Story, Towers, The Untold Story (Uncy Dave's), WTF Story, The Wrath of Roguishcarpal, The Witching Hour and ones that exist in general/that I probably missed
King's Story is still a bit short for me to really get into and I don't even know what Shadow of the Stars is :koron:

May 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I could have sworn that I have seen a thread like this ages ago, but I'm most likely too lazy to look for it right now. But that was ages ago. Times change. New mods arise and could trump the older mods.

I'm going to choose Jenka's Nightmare (the original. Not the revived one). I was going to choose WTF Story but the fanbase is starting to turnme off a bit, and I've never really liked the "Revived" version. Too many incositencies (doesn't feel authentic to the original), overhyped due to the fact that this was a "complete" version, and in the end it is just not a worthy successor/remake of the original.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
HaydenStudios said:
and Schism.
What's Schism?
I have the PC game, but I never knew there was a CS mod called that.
If anyone knows where it is I would love it if someone would send me a link.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Based Member
What's Schism?
I have the PC game, but I never knew there was a CS mod called that.
If anyone knows where it is I would love it if someone would send me a link.
Here's the development thread. I just tried the download link and it seems to be working. It's a pretty good one. It's even what inspired GIR to make WTF? Story.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I, personally, find it very odd that the 4th ending mod gets so much praise.
It just takes out all the moments of sadness and emotion the game had and then added an ending that could be almost as bad as the nicalis translation.
I would have been happy if you could save Toroko and King, they were great characters, and god only knew how long King had anyways ever since pixel made the theory of him eating a red flower canon. Sometimes you can't save everyone, and it should stay that way. But hey, you, at least, got your robot buddy.
Please don't take this as an insult though, it's nice the creator put effort into the mod.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
It just takes out all the moments of sadness and emotion the game had and then added an ending that could be almost as bad as the nicalis translation.
I would have been happy if you could save Toroko and King, they were great characters, and god only knew how long King had anyways ever since pixel made the theory of him eating a red flower canon. Sometimes you can't save everyone, and it should stay that way. But hey, you, at least, got your robot buddy.
Please don't take this as an insult though, it's nice the creator put effort into the mod.

You should go criticize WTF Story instead. I'm sure GIR would have a fun time torturing you. Or King: Strife and Sacrifice. That'll be a riot when Noxid mutilates your existence on the forums.

Instead of disapproving of a mod, no matter how bad you think it is, try modding yourself and you will see how difficult it is.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Hey, hey. I wouldn't wreck someone just because they don't like my mod.
I have people for that I can take criticism.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Based Member
Indeed, there was not as much effort needed on my part as there is for most mods. I was easily able to piggyback off of Pixel's popularity by just building upon something that was awesome to begin with. Which can, at times, give both the creator, and the players a false sense of having a lot of work put into it. In all, it was developed in barely more than a month. One reason that it's gotten praise might be because I also posted a video on youtube showing the fourth ending, but pretending that it's a part of the real game, which has generated a lot of hype.

Indeed. Even people who praised the mod complained about that a bit. How we don't get to see the heart-wrenching moment when Curly sacrifices herself to save you, as well as just skipping past some rather important content in the game. I can understand how that might make the mod feel a little underwhelming in some people's opinions.

I would have been happy if you could save Toroko and King, they were great characters, and god only knew how long King had anyways ever since pixel made the theory of him eating a red flower canon. Sometimes you can't save everyone, and it should stay that way.
And I think some people will disagree with you there. You are correct that not all stories have to be all sunny with everyone living in the end, and that's probably why Pixel himself decided to make it impossible to save King and Toroko. But there are audiences out there that really wish they could have saved King and Toroko, and I think this mod appeals to them.

Oh by all means, it is perfectly fine. And in fact, much appreciated. I want my work to be the absolute best it can. And in order to do that, I'm going to need constructive criticism. Of course I appreciate praise, but I'm never going to improve if I don't get feedback explaining all of my mod's shortcomings. You made a lot of good points. My fourth ending mod was originally made as a practice before getting into some REAL modding. Let's hope I can do better next time. Of course, nothing is ever going to be perfect through absolutely everybody's eyes. And instead of flaming through all of your explanation, you were polite and explained your points in a very well-composed manner, and I appreciate that.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Thank you for taking my constructive criticism positively.
And besides, king's days were numbered anyways because he ate a red flower, as confirmed by pixel.
Oh wait, you actually end up destroying the core, forgot about that.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Been here way too long...
Instead of disapproving of a mod, no matter how bad you think it is, try modding yourself and you will see how difficult it is.
I'm not sure that's a valid argument against constructive criticism.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Not anymore
I'm not sure that's a valid argument against constructive criticism.

It's not even an argument.

He was surprised that the mod got a lot of praise. Who cares? So what if it gets a lot of praise? Good for the mod maker then.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:15 AM
It's not even an argument.

He was surprised that the mod got a lot of praise. Who cares? So what if it gets a lot of praise? Good for the mod maker then.
Call of Duty gets a lot of praise.
Does that mean it's good? Does that mean critics can't criticize it?

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM
Not anymore
Call of Duty gets a lot of praise.
Does that mean it's good? Does that mean critics can't criticize it?

CoD gets no praise. At least not from me and not from many other people.

Criticism is different than somehow noting that something gets too much praise. Why do you degrade a mod in that way instead of directly stating your constructive criticism? For me, constructive criticism is something like: "Hey, you know, this mod is so-so, but it would do much better if you could fix the bug in the Grasstown computer laboratory. All the programs there don't download to your laptop item. Also, some of them don't even work."

Not: "Hey, this gets a lot more praise than I expected. That's kind of weird."

EDIT: Anyway, I'm through antagonizing with you.