Where to Find the Save Game File in the Doukutsu Directory, and How to Copy It?

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Another Cave Explorer come to join the Mimiga village…
So far, I’ve played Cave Story to the point where I’m at the Plantation, I’ve saved Curly, but I haven’t restored her memory or done stuff for Sue’s mother yet. I want to copy my save game and keep it on the side while I commence at whatever gameplay direction I take. Then, when I’ve completed the game for one ending, I can be able to reload the copied save to take on the other ending. Problem is, I can’t find where the save file is supposed to be. How do I find my save file in the Cave Story directory folder, or is it in a satellite folder? Also, once I find it, how is there a special method I should use to copy it?

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:42 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What platform are you playing on?

If it's regular Cave Story for PC, then just enter your Cave Story folder and make a duplicate of profile.dat. I'm not sure about other versions, but Cave Story+ allows for multiple saves if I'm not mistaken.

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
profile.dat --> copypaste to anywhere

Rename to whatever you want

When you're done delete the new profile.dat (or back it up, idc) and rename the old .dat to profile.dat

E:
p163414-0-r0bb6ff.png

p163414-1-onsk1bc.png

And after you're done with your new save file...

p163414-2-4m9gzjm.png

p163414-3-ewopuh8.png

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
It'll usually be perched at the end, after all the other files like DoConfig and window.rect. To copy it, just right click it and click the copy tab...