What's your favorite and least favorite aspects of Cave Story?

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
If you a favorite or least favorite (or even just 1 of those), speak them out.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
My least favorite part of Cave story was probably just all the backtracking, like in Grasstown and Sandzone. My favorite part...uhhhh well I don't really have a favorite part, I just liked the game overall

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Pomfy said:
My least favorite part of Cave story was probably just all the backtracking, like in Grasstown and Sandzone. My favorite part...uhhhh well I don't really have a favorite part, I just liked the game overall
I've shared what my favorite and least favorite parts of the game are plenty of times before, and this pretty much sums it up. Sand Zone is really lame.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My favorite parts about Cave Story are how emotional it is with things like Professor Booster's death and Curly sacrificing to save you. It shows that even in a pixelated game, you can have a truly deep and riveting storyline that makes you feel for the characters. I also really appreciate the incredibly silky gameplay and physics, that makes the gameplay very enjoyable and speedrunner-friendly.

If I were to name my least favorite part about Cave Story, I'd have to say it's the incredibly disappointing third ending. Ever-so suddenly abandoning the Sakamotos and going off to live with someone who killed one of your friends just doesn't jive with me. Sure, he's good now, but you've barely known him since his transition, and I don't buy Curly's foreshadowing in the Boulder Chamber of Balrog being "not such a bad guy." The "good" ending just seemed very rushed and like it went in the completely wrong direction. Even though things technically work for the better in the long run in the good ending, I really prefer the normal ending, because it is more climactic, and leaves you much more satisfied.

Honestly, if it weren't for the disappointing third ending, any criticism I could offer would be just nit-pickery.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Now to be fair, IIRC the third ending actually /was/ rushed due to playtesters wanting a happier ending. That meant that Pixel put far less effort into the story of the third ending than he did the other two (though I will admit the Ballos backstory had more meat to it than most parts of the game itself.)

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:45 PM
lol
Honestly I hate the normal more then the bad ending cause 1.Balrog disappears forever after the boulder chamber fight.2.Everything living on the island dies when it crashes to the ground.3.Curlys body is crushed to death, thus she can't be rebuilt to be active again.4.Every place on the island gets destroyed in the final cut scene during the "break down" music. It leaves a horrible feeling in me. I'd rather always go for the best ending, and not the 4th ending.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I believe I don't particularly dislike any parts of the game. I suppose the sand zone is a little irritating but to be honest its because I've played the game so many times. I know I particularly like the last cave with booster 2.0 as its a decent challenge before the end of the game. It gets you prepared to finish the game and its the first really huge environment challenge considering its difficult to take slow.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
ColdCallerloppy said:
1.Balrog disappears forever after the boulder chamber fight.
In the credits, he ends up as a nurse working for Dr. Gero in the labrynth.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:14 PM
lol
From our hero's point of view he disappears forever.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM
War criminal
Let's see... my favorite aspects of Cave Story is the nostalgic feeling you get from any good video game in the past, debatable whether the game should be on any console prior to PS1. My least favorite aspect is the lack of hinting to the best ending. I mean sure, the decision whether to go with Kazuma leads on to the 2nd ending, making it obvious that there's 2 of them. But no one will figure out that there is a 3rd ending by knowing Jenka has a brother, the possibility of saving Curly, and the Booster 2.0 without looking at GameFAQs or here. Of course, I don't know if anyone will figure it out on their own other than the guys who did soon after 2004.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Uh one part I really like is just the music and graphics are amazing and the way the emotions are handled too. One thing I don't like? Um. Uh I guess the puppy part in sand zone wasn't exactly the funnest part I guess.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM
lol
Honestly I hate the nemesis challenge the most, its too hard for me!

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:10 AM
Professional Whatever
How ironic

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:11 AM
lol
Mostly area 3 "the vents" I can't get past it.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I get the Booster 2.0 and then everything goes downhill in the Nemesis Challenge

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:31 AM
lol
That I can't argue with. *gets booster 2.0* Enough has been said.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dunc2403 said:
Now to be fair, IIRC the third ending actually /was/ rushed due to playtesters wanting a happier ending. That meant that Pixel put far less effort into the story of the third ending than he did the other two (though I will admit the Ballos backstory had more meat to it than most parts of the game itself.)
Actually I'm pretty sure that Hell was Pixel's response to the playtesters stating that the game wasn't difficult enough.

TLincoln said:
But no one will figure out that there is a 3rd ending by knowing Jenka has a brother, the possibility of saving Curly, and the Booster 2.0 without looking at GameFAQs or here. Of course, I don't know if anyone will figure it out on their own other than the guys who did soon after 2004.
Well the game hints that Prof. Booster must live in order to get the Booster 2.0. But the game doesn't explain how this is even meant to happen. No-one would consider that he gave up fighting for his life because he passed the baton to Quote.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I got the 3rd ending by myself on my first, blind playthrough with Cave Story. It's not necessarily impossible, like Dunc said. In my case, though, I was incredibly neurotic and absolutely refused to accept death. (Oh, I had fun trying to save Toroko...). In the dilemma of Booster, I actually came up with the incredible troll logic that the game would kill him if I talked to him so that he would drop the Booster, and if I didn't talk to him I wouldn't have to see his death and he'd somehow escape with the teleporter and his Booster. Spoiler alert:he did. (I made a backup save when I decided to jump over, though.) The saving Curly quests are fairly easy if you're careful and attentive enough, in my experience. I was always attached to my Polar Star so I never traded it (although I did have some unsaved testing fun with the Machine Gun and Snake), and got the best weapon ever for it. And I got a good amount of the Life Capsules, too. Really, the hardest part of getting the 3rd ending was just learning how to navigate Sacred Grounds.

It's incredibly difficult and unlikely, but NOT impossible, to get the 3rd without a walkthrough on your side.

As for the actual topic, um...I'd say the interesting story, themes, and concepts, the fancanon I got out of said story, and the weapons are my favorite parts of Cave Story, among other things. I actually didn't mind Sand Zone that much, because I like puppies and mindlessly blasting dozens of enemies with a peashooter. I'd say my least favorite part is the hellishly frustrating experience of trying to get the useless Alien Medal in later playthroughs of the game.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM
lol
That is a lucky run if you managed to do all of that.