What screen capture software should I use?

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I need help with finding a good one so I can make LPs of games for a youtoube channel that I'm starting with my friends. All the ones that I've looked at so far seem to be some kind of bad joke (suchas fraps and hypercam).
For my purposes I need something that can record my mike and my speaker at the same time, unlike hypercam, and take a video of the whole screen instead of just the game, unlike fraps.

Thanks in advance,
Nemesis

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Xfire is free and it makes great HD videos. A video I did with Xfire:

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I am sorry but could you guys send me the file for the recording system?

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I always use Camtasia Studio 8. It only has a 30 day trial, but you'll love every second of it. It's has screen capture and editing software all in one, I highly recommend it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Oh! It says I used my trial? :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Since when?

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:25 AM
"Huzzah!"
I ended up buying Bandicam for just under $40, but if you don't mind a watermark at the top of the video that takes up 40 pixels vertically (not sure horizontally) and if you don't mind that it has a 10 minute cut off (you can begin recording again immediately after it stops, it will just start a new video), then the free version of Bandicam is perfect. Though I expect that having to do an LP in 10 minute parts would be a pain, or it wouldn't work so well if you pieced them together into one video, having a short bit missing between each 10 minute video. Nobody really enjoys that kind of thing when watching an LP.

Btw, NEVER get Fraps, the video quality is great but it is way bloated in size, it lacks many options (like changing the video capture quality to lower video size), and it can slow down games much more than other screen capturing software like Bandicam or Playclaw. If you buy screen capturing software, you're probably looking at about $40. It was worth it for me, because I will be using mine a lot very soon for various projects and for LPs, and I will even be using it for business later down the road.

I chose Bandicam because it can record anything. You can select a target application that is running or you can capture a custom-sized part of the screen, and you can actively drag it around while recording without any lag whatsoever. It's also got all the options you will ever need to get the right quality and size of video and audio that you are looking for, etc. It also takes screenshots.

Camtasia Studio 8 is super nice and professional, but it just isn't something the average LP'er would use, as it is $300 for the full version. So, for long term, you'll need to get something else, unless you (or your parents) are loaded.

As for XFire, it is very limited. If you want to record some of the more obscure titles, you are out of luck, since it only supports certain games. I should note, however, that it does support Cave Story+ (but not the original). It will record most every AAA title that you'd want to record, but as far as most indie games go, you won't be able to capture them, unless they are very popular.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
If you have a fast computer though I might recommend trying the free Livestream Procaster.
It creates very small files, and captures most everything.

You might say, wait that's just for livestreaming! But, I am pretty sure, you could set the resolution and bitrate to anything you want, and maybe even block the program from interacting with livestream's site, or something... Then, you'd have a nice recording, without it eating up any bandwidth~!
[Isn't there a timelimit before you have to restart the video if you choose preview?]

Anyway, the requirements on procaster are high, but I can recommend checking it out; if that's not a problem.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Greetings,

EpicRewind is video capture software that has a key differentiating feature: RAM RollingBuffer mode. This works like an on-demand instant-replay: a game is hooked and the video is continuously buffered in system RAM, when something cool happens the user can save the buffer contents with the press of a hotkey. So rather than saving video from your entire gaming session you can just save the good stuff after it actually happens. In addition, EpicRewind provides some nice performance benefits over traditional capture software: video processing, encoding and writing to disk only happen when you choose to save a video clip. During video buffering, the contents of the framebuffer are just being copied to system memory X times per second based your specified capture FPS.

Key advantages of the RAM RollingBuffer:

- You don't need to pre-plan a gaming video, you can just play the game without thinking of the video at all. If something interesting happens you can always choose to save it after it's happened.
- Ideal for MMOs and Multiplayer games where 99% of the gameplay isn't worth sharing and the interesting stuff can happen at unexpected times.

Added benefits:

- One of the best benefits is that it saves you time by eliminating the need to dig through all your saved gameplay footage to find the good stuff.
- Saves disk space by not writing countless hours of video to disk your just going to throw away later after you dig out the highlights.
- More efficient use of system resources by not processing and encoding video the entire time your gaming.

The base version of EpicRewind is free and can be downloaded here:

http://epicrewind.com/

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WOAH
people actually want to help others theY MUST BE SPAMBOTS BAN PLS