well, that's adorable

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
That cylex7 or w/e kid makes the post about something none of us know about, in probably the least interesting subforum here, "technical issues".... I end up clicking it just in case I can offer some kind of something, make my post, and notice that it'd gotten like 2 replies while I typed that short thing and there were like 8 people looking at the thread. Now there's just 2 people looking, like, 20 seconds later, so I could imagine there had been even more just before I looked at the bottom.

Seriously, it's like we have the active members required for a much more active forum but it's like no one's posting much of anything, just waiting for other people to post so they can reply. I don't want to make too many dumb threads since I'm still kind of new but it seems like there'd be a lot more actual activity here if more of us would be more... daring?

quack

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I quite agree.
We are suffering from a lack of initiative.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:15 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Daring may become rash. It is better to let these things happen as they come. Don't rush the forums or we'll all turn into sixtyseconds.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:36 AM
If you don't have anything to say, don't say anything. Otherwise you'll sound stupid.
No you're a hypocrite.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:21 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I basically agree with you ragna, and I don't think the problem Fire foresees would be a problem as long as people focus not so much on the act of posting something but more on the act of thinking of something to post.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:22 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Not saying you're directly implying this, but boredom isn't an excuse for anything. Nobody is responsible for providing discussion or entertainment for everyone else; everyone has to put their own little bit of effort in. In fairness there's also the fact that pretty much everything that could possibly be discussed about Cave Story itself has already been done now, so sadly I think the CS Discussion part of the site is just going to get more and more like that. There's no reason for that to slow up discussion in other areas though; there's plenty of space for free discussion of like anything in the Satellite Lounge and activity is increasing in the Mods section. The SPOT has been kind of quiet lately though which is awesome, maybe random spamming is finally yesterday's thing.

...Maybe the forums need another revamp >_>

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM
I guess all in all it's really just me still being pissed that I somehow used the CS Tribute Site probably at least once every few months from early 2006 and somehow just didn't even notice or care about the "forum" link until the Wii version was about to come out. And it seems like I've been snooping around the whole internet for a good forum to go to for years now. And I keep seeing cool old posts necro'd or being looked at in the archives by various guests or just stickied or whatever, and I see all these old posters that seem cool that I'll never get to meet, and I keep being reminded that Cave Story is over five years old and isn't a very large game to begin with. There's likely not a single thing about it that hasn't been talked about extensively here.

It's like getting to a really cool party just when people start going home :C

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Banned
ragnaroq said:
It's like getting to a really cool party just when people start going home :C

Sometimes those are the best because the only things that are left are the videogames, the snacks, and that one guy who's really, really stoned. I mean, it's a recipe for disaster, but it can be fun, too.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
All three of those are abundant in this case.

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM
Fire1052 said:
that one guy who's really, really stoned.
Jacob left too, remember? All we can do in the CS Discussion forum is recycle old conversations and make sexual/inside/sexual inside jokes. We all expected Cave Stowii to revive the forums, but that only happened to the extent of argument over how much it sucks.
Ragnaroq, I feel your pain. If you just want to talk to forum members (which is pretty much why I'm still here) use visitor messages. Or IRC.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:06 AM
Banned
Captain Fabulous said:
Jacob left too, remember? All we can do in the CS Discussion forum is recycle old conversations and make sexual/inside/sexual inside jokes. We all expected Cave Stowii to revive the forums, but that only happened to the extent of argument over how much it sucks.
Ragnaroq, I feel your pain. If you just want to talk to forum members (which is pretty much why I'm still here) use visitor messages. Or IRC.

We could easily just talk about something that isn't Cave Story. I don't know why we haven't yet.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM
Pirate Member
You're right.
a lot of us probably would be daring but there's always some dolt telling us ZOMFG SOTP BUMPING when the reply is to a week old thread. But this sort of thing happens on all "inactive forums about games". Everyone just waits to reply to something. But if he sees his username as a last post, he won't even consider replying to that subcategory. This sucks, but that's just how small forums work - you can't reply too much, because then you'd be a spammer (on bigger forums nobody would notice). So you look for opportunities.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM
Fire1052 said:
We could easily just talk about something that isn't Cave Story. I don't know why we haven't yet.

I think, for me anyway, aside from the fact I haven't had as much time to "finish" talking about Cave Story as all you guys have, it's something between the Cave Story graphical theme of the forum (which I'm pretty sure can be changed, but /shrug) and the face that the Cave Story section is the only one that's really "expanded" into a bunch of boards aside from all the weird projects many of which have never had a single post ever within them, lol.

I did feel that "daring' wasn't the right word for that and sounded like something that could produce a lot of unwanted spam but I do feel like there could be more talking going on here than there is. There's nothing I hate more than the "community decay" of a good forum, especially if I didn't get to be there during the "peak" time.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:18 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
ragnaroq said:
There's nothing I hate more than the "community decay" of a good forum, especially if I didn't get to be there during the "peak" time.
Most of the people who were here during 2007/2008 aren't active anymore and really a lot of that activity was just spam anyway. Then again I'm not really fussed about that part of the site. My main passion has always been the mods section, which is nice and active atm and has more content than ever, so I happy :3

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:58 PM
yeeeeeeeeaaaaa i was even gonna mention that

it's like all the poor little newbies like me still have a lot of normal cave story stuff to talk about but the entire CS community has moved to modmaking to pretty much make their own stories and expand upon CS in their own ways since there's nothing else to say about the original game, especially for people who've been around for awhile

I should actually start playing mods, but I have this thing where I know I'll become a critic (even if a nice one just to try and improve it) but I always get this feeling I can't really criticize something unless I've at least made one of equal caliber myself. It makes no sense since professional movie critics don't have to have acted or directed or anything yet people take them super seriously, I suppose when you're just some guy online you need something to get people to listen to you rather than blow you off.

I don't know! In the end I'm just better at talking about dumb things like I'd be the grand master of the theories forum if I'd been around before every new thread made there has like 50 old guys replying saying "THIS WAS ALREADY TALKED ABOUT IN *LINK TO ANCIENT THREAD YOU CAN'T EVEN REPLY TO OR IT'S A NECRO*" but again, too late :c

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:12 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
ragnaroq said:
yeeeeeeeeaaaaa i was even gonna mention that

it's like all the poor little newbies like me still have a lot of normal cave story stuff to talk about but the entire CS community has moved to modmaking to pretty much make their own stories and expand upon CS in their own ways since there's nothing else to say about the original game, especially for people who've been around for awhile

I should actually start playing mods, but I have this thing where I know I'll become a critic (even if a nice one just to try and improve it) but I always get this feeling I can't really criticize something unless I've at least made one of equal caliber myself. It makes no sense since professional movie critics don't have to have acted or directed or anything yet people take them super seriously, I suppose when you're just some guy online you need something to get people to listen to you rather than blow you off.

I don't know! In the end I'm just better at talking about dumb things like I'd be the grand master of the theories forum if I'd been around before every new thread made there has like 50 old guys replying saying "THIS WAS ALREADY TALKED ABOUT IN *LINK TO ANCIENT THREAD YOU CAN'T EVEN REPLY TO OR IT'S A NECRO*" but again, too late :c

Eh, in my humble opinion, threadomancy (thread necromancy) is alright as long as you're not just posting "this made me lol" or "i agree with X".
</twocents>

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This forum has a rather.. primitive philosophy where rules are RULES and there is no reasonable exception unless you have special privilege or something. Bumping old threads is against the rules and without rules what sort of GODLESS HELLSCAPE would we live in. Clearly this is for the best.

Oh and Pixel Forbid that anyone should come up with a new theory that conflicts with an existing theory on a question that was settled in the days of yore. Clearly they are fools of the lowest caliber for not knowing and accepting what has come to pass.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM
Pirate Member
Mods were the only reason I came to these forums five or four years ago. But back then I'd only download them and lurk the forums hoping another one would pop-up in a few days...More like a few months. Nonetheless that section was always active as far as I can remember, but few people knew how to mod.

anyway heres a picture of vegeta's head:

diph.php

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:13 PM
lmao, nice picture.

I of course had no idea about this forum itself for whatever stupid reason but I remember when like the very first CS mod was being worked on, and images were released, and people like on 4chan /v/ back when I went there were all freaking out about it. If I remember, your main character had brown hair and the Core looked like Mario or something, lmao. I got that thing years ago but never even played it. Now there's so many, I dunno which to play, or just all of them, but I don't like the ridiculously frustrating ones unless they're really rewarding with story or something. I guess I should just get to it...

(And I really do wanna play that old one I just described, if anyone has a link~~)