Weapon Hax Alpha

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:54 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well, I've been working on hacking all the weapons in the game for awhile now, but I've kinda lost motivation, so I'll post what I have in the hopes of getting motivated. Or at least if I never finish it it won't have gone completely to waste.

Note - its still very much an alpha, so expect lots of bugs. I have 12 known bugs in my list and probably more unknown ones. Also, I haven't done anything at all with the nemesis or spur, so I just set the spur to give you the snake and machine gun. (nemesis still just gives you nemesis)

Link V2
Link

So yeah, comments are appreciated, I especially want to know if any weapons are too powerful so that I can balance things out some.

And if you want to know how I did something, I will tell you IF you can show me that you have done something already (doesn't have to be related to what you want to know how to do, just has to be some sort of work on a mod)

I'm all for helping people, but I don't want to spend hours helping someone only to have nothing come of it.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:12 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
O_O

I dub you: "Father of the Slower Star"
Epic.
EDIT: The Slower Star shot snuck up on Toroko. ^_^
EDIT Re-EDITed: Level 2 Missiles seem to do no damage. o.o

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:32 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Quick question for archival purposes, is this just Cave Story with edited weapons?

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DoubleThink said:
Quick question for archival purposes, is this just Cave Story with edited weapons?

Yes.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:16 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
It's really cool so far x3 I've only just gotten the polar star though, but that was great fun xD

If you don't mind, and have the time, would you like to teach me the basics of weapon hacking? I tried following some instructions in a thread but either I was missing something, or I'm just stupid, because I couldn't seem to do anything X_X

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM
Zephryl said:
It's really cool so far x3 I've only just gotten the polar star though, but that was great fun xD

If you don't mind, and have the time, would you like to teach me the basics of weapon hacking? I tried following some instructions in a thread but either I was missing something, or I'm just stupid, because I couldn't seem to do anything X_X

Sure, I'll make a post in the un-advanced hacking FAQ sometime later today. EDIT: posted

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:44 PM
"..."
Love the new snake, its really trippy. What happend to blade tho? I thought it was going to stay in front of you.

May 1, 2009 at 1:21 AM
nifty.
I'm about to go through the process of looking at what you did, so I can steal your hax.
hope you don't mind.
=P

May 1, 2009 at 2:11 AM
Lace said:
nifty.
I'm about to go through the process of looking at what you did, so I can steal your hax.
hope you don't mind.
=P

You don't have to steal it, I can tell you :D Its pretty obvious you have put some serious effort into hacking stuff. Also, I did a complete bubbler rewrite with the LV2 bubbles coming off randomly in a circle around you, and then scrapped it because it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I think I deleted my notes on that one accidentally, but I can remember what I did pretty closely.

So yeah, just say what you are looking for and I can let you know :D
Unless you want to find it yourself 'cause its more fun that way.

May 1, 2009 at 4:36 AM
"..."
I would also like it on record, your bubbler is pretty much the coolest thing to happen to cs modding yet.

May 1, 2009 at 7:05 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Lol I love your blade xD A blade so fast it can occasionly glitch through enemies without damaging them xD!

Edit: Just downloaded the new version~ Don't like the blade as much but it's a very cool shield xD
Also a bug (I assume) The side-to-side directions of Snake have been toned down but if you shoot up or down it's still got the insane range x3

Also is making the Blade faster a simple thing to do? I'd like to make the one in my mod a bit faster~

May 1, 2009 at 12:14 PM
the reason it glitches through enemies and walls is that it moves say, 64 pixels each step. The way the engine works, it hops ahead 64 pixels, so it doesn't hit anything between the three points it arrives at.

May 2, 2009 at 8:49 PM
Making blade faster is very easy, look at the example hack in the Un-Advanced hacking FAQ, and repeat the process in there, except use the blade instead of the polar star. (Polar star and blade are nearly identical so it shouldn't be too hard)

Also, does anyone know what the original damage values for missile and super missiles is? I tried looking in clean .exe but for some reason it says 0 =/ Setting them to a number makes them do that number, which is kinda odd but w.e.

May 5, 2009 at 6:05 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
this is just awesome
a couple of little problems were:
cause the blade follows you where ever you go, I discovered that if you fall into a death trap you get sent to the top left corner of the screen, causing the blade to follow you which though is cool, you may want to find something that will change how you get sent to the corner when you die. As far as I know, you made this to make the game slightly more difficult cause of more complex weapons, the snake seemed to be a bit more powerful than before with it's wider range and being much faster so if you walk around shotting rapidly you it's a little bit too easy. the last thing i would say is to perhaps put a limit in bullets for level 1 spur cause you can make a giant wall of slower star bullets that will destroy everything in their path slowly but maybe you intended that but you haven't done anything to the spur yet so i dunno. Also when you fire down with level 2 super missle you get a huge white square next to it so you should just fix that little bit in the bullet sprite set. By the way, I'm looking forward to what you do with the spur cause before i saw the second blade, I thought
imagine a spur that fires a laser that follows you around and is effectivly a giant light saber-esque thing. if you like that idea and give it a shot you should make the laser less powerful cause it'll be too good if it follows you around. anyway my main point is that you really should make a hack sort of like runelancer's original sin just completely different to cave story story line and graphics-wise and just use all your findings in cave story hacking in it. cause just making cave story with different weapons and such is awesome but a bit of a waste of your full potential of making a truely brilliant mod. one last thing, if you can find it in the assembly dump-doing something with the whimsical star would be pretty sweet. I hope i don't sound like I'm saying: Make and awesome mod with hacked weapons and everything! is it done yet!? No? Do it NOW! cause i don't mean to. Goodluck

May 5, 2009 at 6:29 AM
RE: Blade

I had no idea that happened. But the blade is getting a complete rewrite anyway, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

RE: Snake

I've been playing around with a few ways to rebalance it, I agree that it is the best weapon in the current release (of the edited ones)

RE: Polar Star (slower star ^.^)

I might do that, I originally had a limit of 2 but that was way too hard. It didn't seem that good to me...

RE: Spur

Sorry to disappoint you, but the spur code is weird and I might not end up doing anything with it at all.

RE: LV2 missiles shot down

Yeah I knew about that. I could've sworn I fixed it for this version, but I guess not.

I do have plans for a bigger mod after this is done, but I haven't done any levels or anything yet, just making some notes on story and level ideas and stuff. Hopefully it will have NPC hacks, weapon hacks, possibly movement hacks, and stuff like that. But don't expect it for a long time.

Also, enter key is your friend. So is spell checker.

May 6, 2009 at 7:00 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Awesome
I don't expect anything anytime soon cause I'm making one right now and therefore understand the effort and time required. And it's kinda annoying cause I have a friend at school who's like: hey have you finished your mod yet? Well you should have done so cause it's been like three months! Jesus...

And about the spur, fair enough, I don't understand crap about how to use assembly.

And I'll try and use the enter key and spell check more often

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Ack! I gotta play through the whole game to getz teh weapz?!

*Sue's Workshop*

There. That's better x)

Obtw I'd love to learn how the circly bubble stuff works :( If you'd be so kind...

Edit - on top of that, teach me how the omfg did you do all that pl0x D: it's friggin osm. *w*

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:38 PM
Well, they all used assembly hacking, but some of them (polar star, machine gun, and bubbler especially) are very easy to do. add me on MSN (PM me for my e-mail address) if you want more help, and check out my Un-advanced hacking FAQ in the modding/hacking subforum.