Wanting to play Cave Story in japanese...

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I wanted to play through cavestory in the original japanese version, but whenever I play all I see are all the weird little ƒ symbols and the ones that go with them. Is there a way to make it so they read as hiragana, katakana, and kanji. (the way I'd imagine it's supposed to look.) If anyone knows what I should do, it would be much appreciated.

[Edit:] Nevermind, after setting my system language to japanese the program read it as japanese perfectly. Feel free to do as you wish with this thread admins/mods.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I wanted to play through cavestory in the original japanese version, but whenever I play all I see are all the weird little ƒ symbols and the ones that go with them. Is there a way to make it so they read as hiragana, katakana, and kanji. (the way I'd imagine it's supposed to look.) If anyone knows what I should do, it would be much appreciated.

[Edit:] Nevermind, after setting my system language to japanese the program read it as japanese perfectly. Feel free to do as you wish with this thread admins/mods.

Can you tell me exactly what you did. I still have this problem.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:50 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I think the system language can be changed in the Regional & Language options in the Windows Start Menu's Control Panel, but I've never tried adjusting those settings before. The next time I record something from the BoostMania mods, though, I'll try it out.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:03 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I thought you just right-click the .exe and click "locale Japanese"? (even though I dunno what "locale" is)

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:04 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Can you tell me exactly what you did. I still have this problem.

Okay, what I did is I went to Control Panel, then to "Date, Time, Language and Regional options", then to "Regional and Language options". A window will then pop up (Regional and Language options). There will be 3 tabs. Go to the "Advanced tab". In that tab there will be a part entitled "Language for non-unicode programs.". Select the Language Japanese in the scroll down-thing. It will probably ask to restart the computer, which you must do. Then cavestory's japanese should appear normal.

Note that this is what I did for my computer, which is a windows XP, service pack 3. This should solve it.

Also found out how to support typing japanese, which is useful (i take japanese in highschool as a 2nd language).日本語わたのしいです。(I hope I used the right marker there -_-).