Vib-Ribbon

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:18 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Vib-Ribbon is a unique rhythm game with a neat wireframe art style for the original Playstation. It was released in December 1999 in Japan, with a European release coming in 2000. North America never received the original release of the game. I believe the official reasoning for this was due to a belief that it wouldn't perform well in the region, and I'm guessing that the imminent release of the Playstation 2 didn't help matters.

Vib-Ribbon.jpg

As would be expected of a rhythm game, Vib-Ribbon is all about pressing the right button at the right time. However, instead of the buttons corresponding to directions, they correspond to a different type of obstacle that Vibri, the playable character, will encounter. Any two of those obstacles can be combined into a more complicated obstacle, requiring both corresponding buttons to be pressed. The how-to video in the game does a better job of explaining this and the rest of how the gameplay works.

There are three difficulty levels: bronze, silver, and gold, with each being harder than the last. Each difficulty has two songs (created by a group called Laugh and Peace) to play through. It's not an easy game by any means, but with enough practice, it can be conquered.

The real magic of Vib-Ribbon is in the ability to use any music CD with the game. It can automatically create a playable course for any song. Given the same disc and the same track, it will always create the same course (although emulators can introduce otherwise unexpected variations from what I understand).

I discovered this game by chance due to a surge of Parappa the Rapper memes that were making their way through social media. I never had any Playstations, so I never played the game. Trying to find out more about it led me to a video by Caddicarus about it. In that video, Vib-Ribbon was mentioned twice, as both games share the same developer. He also had a video about this game, which is how I learned about it and decided it was something I had to try as soon as possible. I enjoy this game and I hope anyone who's interested gives it a shot. It's available on the Playstation Store as a digital download for PS4 (or so I'm told, as it's not actually listed on the website anywhere)

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:05 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
LETS GO VIB-RIBBON THE DANCING QUEEN. I miss AbeX300.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:01 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I only discovered the channel a few months ago, but I also miss AbeX300.

For reference, AbeX300 uploaded many songs being played in Vib-Ribbon with perfect accuracy. This is actually where I got the inspiration to go for a perfect run of that Deltarune song (which is one of the videos I linked to in the original post). This video is an example and also what's being referenced in Nerdieo's post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewR6R5JtXE