VGmixes

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:49 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
VGmix stands for Video Game remix, of course, and it is a community of remixers who remix various video game music. Quite interesting. Anyways, has anybody else been to this site? The reason I bring it up is because a certain someone used to love this site just like me, however it shut down for a long time. But, it apparently just reopened a few days ago, so now I can get back to my remix obsession.

I actually wasn't in to remixes very much until I found this site, but a lot of them out there are very well done. After being around it for awhile, you start remembering different artists who have made things you like. Some people even make the remixes with actual instruments, which I prefer because it adds a realness to it that just isn't there with the "fake sound" (yeah, I know that's not what its called, but hey, I just listen to the music, I don't know a whole lot about it).

I only bring all this up because more than anything, the art of remixing video game music as its done on sites like vgmix.com or overclocked is almost a study in how music is used in video games, and of course as I said there is someone here who probably would find this little bit of information very pleasant. But, just so so this doesn't seem like a complete advertisement, since I honestly didn't intend it to be as such, I guess for those that participate in stuff like this we can talk about artists we like or types of remixes we enjoy.

Personally, my favorite remixer is Ailsean, who has remixed songs from the Chrono games, Final Fantasys, and Zeldas, amoung many other games. He does all of his remixes on a live guitar, and he's very good at it. Some of my favorites that he did were "Nikki Learns a Song," which is a remix from Chrono Cross, and a remix from FF1 called "Town." Another remixer I enjoy is a fellow named Dale North, whose "Rena Lanford of Arlia Village" from Star Ocean 2 might be my favorite remix of them all. I also liked Jared Hudson's "Metal Gear May Cry," which is a medley of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Devil May Cry.

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Mind providing a link to the site?

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Hey Zonder! It's been awhile my friend. I hope you are doing well. I didn't know that Vgmix had been reopened. Now I have a multitude of content to check out sometime. Thanks for letting me know about it. I'm in the process of setting up a personal blog from the home domain of miraigamer.net and I hope to use that as my primary blog with the first entry being the about the Japan trip. Please drop by sometime if you feel up to it. I had to move away from the live journal crowd unfortunately, it became too big for me to handle.

As for my current remixing favorites, I used to be very partial to a remixer by the name of "The Wingless", but lately my favorite two artists are SGX and DiscoDan. They have some phenomenal work. Also the guy who runs VGmix, Virt, his stuff is excellent and he recently got a gig doing the official soundtrack to Contra 4 for the DS.

-SkyeWelse