Upscaler mods for CS???

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:38 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I saw these mods where you can upscale the sprites of CS, and I can't really find any. Where do I find them???

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:50 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Double resolution in CS modding has gone through a few incarnations over the years:
  1. First, there was Noxid and GIRakaCHEEZER's 2x resolution hack which was pretty well-known from about 2009-2012. This hack was painstakingly implemented in x86 assembly for the original freeware Cave Story. Noxid and GIR decided to keep this hack under lock and key to a select few people out of legal concerns since the first incarnation was originally becoming available around 2009, which was around the time that NICALiS first released Cave Story for the WiiWare with its double resolution. Notable mods that used this hack were WTF? Story, King: Strife and Sacrifice, and The Show.
  2. Then in 2017, Clownacy came out with a Graphics Enhancement Pack. Clownacy is largely responsible for ushering in a new era of CS modding with his mod loader, and other tools down the road.
  3. Then in 2019, Clownacy struck again with CSE2, which is essentially a decompilation of the original Cave Story that allows all kinds of hacks, including up-scaled graphics. Any up-scaled mod released within the last few years is probably using CSE2.
  4. There's also doukutsu-rs, which is a re-make of the Cave Story engine in Rust, by alula. This just came out a little over a year ago (January 2021). It offers some similar features as CSE2, and some modders have talked about porting their mods to this engine instead of using CSE2, but as of right now, CSE2 is still the dominant tool in the modding community for having up-scaled graphics.

In the future, please ask your modding questions in the Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread, instead of starting a new thread entirely.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:08 PM
"Huzzah!"
Then in 2019, Clownacy struck again with CSE2, which is essentially a decompilation of the original Cave Story that allows all kinds of hacks, including up-scaled graphics. Any up-scaled mod released within the last few years is probably using CSE2.
CuckyDev was the main person behind CSE2 originally, Clownacy helped out later on and did a lot of the work from there. Also, it's not "essentially" a decompilation, it *is* a decompilation lol

Also, I'm assuming the person who made this thread was actually looking for mods that change the sprites of the game to be higher in resolution, which is where I would recommend Lethry's Upscale.
You should be able to use this with Clownacy's mod loader for freeware/doukutsu-rs mildly easily. There is no way to use Scale2x or any kind of scaling filter with the original game, and if there was, it wouldn't heed as good results as hand crafted graphics.

Yeah that's all I have, I hope that helps :)

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:17 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
CuckyDev was the main person behind CSE2 originally, Clownacy helped out later on and did a lot of the work from there. Also, it's not "essentially" a decompilation, it *is* a decompilation lol
Oh, my mistake. Also yeah, I guess I could have left the word "essentially" out of my post, but a minor detail.

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:47 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I will mention the program Lossless Scaling, available on Steam. It has an unlimited demo and a paid version that has extra scaling options.

Scaling algorithms are currently presented:

• AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (AMD FSR)
  • NVIDIA Image Scaling (NIS)
  • Integer Scaling
  • Nearest Neighbor
  • xBR
  • Could be used to fine tune how scaling looks; just a bit.