Update Contact Methods

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:00 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Okay, so for as long as I can remember, this forum has made little to no changes made on the "Contact Methods" part of the profile. Of course, this is a trivial issue when it really comes down to it, but I can't imagine this taking too much thought or time to make more modern. So let's take a quick look at what we've currently got:

p203590-0-ditsopx.png

AIM, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo: Do most people use these anymore? I suppose they were popular many years ago, but I have not seen them used too often nowadays.
Jabber: After doing many searches in the members section, I could literally not find a single legitimate entry for this field. Does anybody on the forum actually use this?

Now, my recommendation is that we change up some of these fields so that they're more modern. The Yahoo field could be replaced with a general e-mail field, which seems infinitely more useful. Ideally, we could remove the AIM, MSN, ICQ, and Jabber fields to prevent clutter since they seem irrelevant nowadays, but if others still find use in them then I understand. The most important change that I can see being made, however, is the inclusion of newer contact methods that people use frequently, the most notable of which I think would be Steam.

Let me know what you think of the idea, and if you have ideas for other relevant contact methods.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:36 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm pretty sure we can just get rid of the MSN field entirely, since MSN chat no longer exists.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
Adding Steam and removing MSN for GIR's reasons would be a very simple start.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:19 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Tpcool said:
Jabber: After doing many searches in the members section, I could literally not find a single legitimate entry for this field. Does anybody on the forum actually use this?
Pidgin runs on Jabber. A few of us do use it; we've basically replaced #curlybrace with Nox's Jabber server.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:05 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
duncathan said:
Pidgin runs on Jabber. A few of us do use it; we've basically replaced #curlybrace with Nox's Jabber server.
How does one connect to the jabber server?

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:11 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
maybe you joined when everyone was asleep

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:19 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Tpcool said:
The Yahoo field could be replaced with a general e-mail field, which seems infinitely more useful.
E-mail is already included on profiles. That aside, contact fields are now updated; tell me what y'all think :orangebell:
(Steam has no icon yet because they appear to be stored on the server, so andwhy will have to add that in himself.)
Edit: Apparently it's not public ._.