Treasure Chest ARGH!

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:47 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Can someone please tell me how to make treasure chests work in Sue's Workshop?

I tried messing around with it for several hours, and I keep getting the same response. When I examine the chest, it will fade the screen out and then back in leftwards. Then it will return to normal gameplay. The chest remains closed. I can examine it again for the same response.

Jun 11, 2006 at 2:03 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, do it the right code?
this means if u coded the Treasure chest code to number
then the tresure chest must use
event 300

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
In the actual game, a treasure chest consists of two sprites, one on top of the other, for the treasure chest body and its lid. Both should have identical flag ID numbers. The lid is sprite number 21, and should call event on action (the event would be "empty" or the like), and be visible when flag ID is set. Also check flag 0x1000, though I am not sure what this does. The body of the chest should be sprite 15, calls event on action (the actual item-getting event), and is invisible if the flag is set.

The item-getting event should look something like the following, taken from the Map System chest in the Mimiga Village:

<PRI<FLJ0322:0201<FL+0322<SOU0022<CNP0200:0021:0000
<MSGOpened the chest.<NOD<GIT1002<IT+0002<EQ+0002<CLR
<CMU0010Got the =Map System=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<EVE0201

And the lid directly calls event 201:

<PRI<MSGSomething's written here...<NOD<CLR<TURSo long as you retain your spirit
of exploration, surely you shall
find your way out. This I believe.<NOD<END

Note the <FL+0322. The flag ID of these chests is 0322, so setting this flag will make the body disappear and the lid appear.

I was using the terms "body" and "lid" merely for positioning purposes. The body really refers to the whole unopened chest sprite, and the lid to the opened chest. Almost always the opened chest is found directly above the unopened one, hence "body" and "lid."

Your actual problem, though, probably involves accidentally calling the wrong event from inside your event (or actualling using <FAO and <FAI, in which case you should have expected the result =P)... For example, chests with missile expansions call event 0030, which is global, to reuse the if statement (whether or not to give the "you got the missile launcher!" speech).

If you called one of the events in the 90s, you might have caused fading. But aside from that, I can only tell you how to do it right, not what you are doing wrong.

Incidentally, I guessed my password.

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:57 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Koneko said:
Incidentally, I guessed my password.
Is that why we haven't heard from you in a while?

This may be slightly off topic, but I think it's worth saying that closed chests (sprite 15 the "body") will fall from mid air. The open chest (sprite 21 the "lid") does not fall, it will float where ever it happens to be.

Koneko said:
For example, chests with missile expansions call event 0030, which is global
To clarify this means when an event calls a script it looks for the number (0030). Number's that are not on the script of a map (in sues workshop when u look at a map then click on the talk bubble for that map) will get looked for in the script called "HEAD". You can find that under all the maps on the left side on sue's workshop. This is where events like getting missles, and using save points / recovery stations can be found.

Yes odds are, your chest is calling the wrong event. Make sure that all the events u add in the script are 4 digits. On the map where you can see where your entity is, it can be less digits (example 30) but In the actually script you need 4 digits every time (example 0030).

I hope this helps, but I'm sorry If i've made anything more confusing...

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:05 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hey, how can I quote people in a little box? I want to do that here, but...

In any case, does anyone know what the 0x1000 flag does, by any chance?
(I wanted to quote Koneko's statement about no knowing what that does, but I can't).

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:30 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Click on the bottom right box labelled Quote. -_-