The Hex Editor (XVI32) - Guide for starters

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:28 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
So. I hear that many people do not know how to use the hex editor. Well here is a guide to help you understand it better.

First:
Offset = address = where a value is located.
Value = erm... a value...
DOWNLOAD THE RECOMMENDED HEX EDITOR FOR CAVE STORY:
(link gonna be provided soon lol... o.o) <-- Never came and never gonna come. I'm evil :E

Pictures included!

diph.php

diph.php

This column is the column of offsets.

ITSAPICTUREVALUES.png

This column is the area where the values are shown.

ITSAPICTURETEXTAREA.png

And this column is the area where the text is shown (although the text isn't relaly that important when hacking Cave Story). Each 2 digit value represents a character in the text area.

edit - fixed typos rofl.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:41 PM
Luls
*second post because limit is 3 pictures. i think... or 4... o.o*

Okay. Time to start learning how to use this hex editor.

ITSAPICTUREAddressstep1.png

So, you want to edit a value. But firstly, you have to find it! So, click on the "Address" dropdown window located at the top of the program window and click "Goto" or simply press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + G.

A small window will appear.

ITSAPICTUREGotostep3.png

Key in the offset you want to go to in the textbox in that window and make sure you check "hexadecimal" and not "decimal". Also make sure that you check "absolute".

Look at the example in the picture. It says $10E03, which is the same as 0x10E03. The 0x is represented by the $ sign. However, although they are the same, this Hex Editor only recognizes the $ sign and not 0x.

Click OK. It will bring you to the offset you keyed in.

ITSAPICTUREOffsetlocationstep4.png

Ok. The offset highlighted in blue is the offset you keyed in previously in the small window "Goto". The value highlighted in blue is the value in that offset. And the character highlighted in blue is the character the 2 digit value represents. Although the offset highlighted in blue does not match the one you keyed in in "Goto", it does not matter.

And from then onwards its just simple. EDIT THE VALUE!
>< 2 posts for it... I wonder if its alright ><

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:07 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
While it's a gallant contribution of yours, it's ironic that the same information (and more) can be accessed from the help menu.. :)

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:15 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, but nobody ever reads product documentation. RTFM fails every time.

Oh and that hex editor, while nice, is a bit limited. I, and I predict many others, dislike having to convert integers <-> hex codes separately. Unfortunately the only Hex Editors I know that do that cost money or don't run on Windows. Meh >_<

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM
Luls
cookie said:
While it's a gallant contribution of yours, it's ironic that the same information (and more) can be accessed from the help menu.. :)

oh. Didn't realise ><

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I used this program for profile.dat hacking for a fair while now, but it would be good to see other having a go. :)