The future of home consoles....

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:48 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Join Date: May 21, 2012
Location: Location Location. Thats my motto.
Posts: 304
Age: 26
So, I was on Youtube, just browsing and minding my own business, when I found THIS(Fair warning: video might contain some naughty references):


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QQt79zKYfSU


..... Home consoles? Phasing out?? Blasphamy! BLASPHEMY I TELL YOU!!!!!! *ahem* Here's what I had to say in the video's comment section:

Yeah, but what Sweeney(and you) seem to fail to take into account is that people have varying connection speeds, so while one person might have blazing fast internet, another person might have a moderate to slow connection and games might take longer to download, or worse, might not even download at all. And plus, there's something about owning a home console that just seems right to me(don't get me wrong, I like portable games, but I don't see home consoles phasing out anytime soon).
Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?
 
Jun 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: Oct 29, 2012
Location: England
Posts: 178
Age: 24
I am not a console gamer so I am not fussed either way, however I don't see the problem in the video he says that you would be able to plug in your phone to the TV with a HDMI cable and plug in a controller and play your games, which is most likely what would happen, I don't think they would be stupid enough to think that everyone wants to play on a tiny screen with awful touch controls. In fact, I see nothing wrong with that, it is basically taking a PlayStation XBox or Wii and shrinking it down and making it also a portable gaming device and a phone, seems like the same as the current console experience but more diverse. I wouldn't mind it being that way, however I don't see it being that way with the current console "hardcore" gamers usually trying to separate themselves from the "casual" mobile gamers, I just don't see it instantly catching on with them. Overall though I think it seems pretty interesting and if it were to be the future of console gaming I wouldn't mind it but yeah I agree that consoles probably won't phase out that soon.
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM
THE suus
"..."
Join Date: May 14, 2012
Location: yeah
Posts: 399
Age: 22
To be honest, I don't care. I've delved so much into PC gaming as of late that I don't even look into this stuff. And if I do, It's for games that work on consoles I already own. I know this is going to die sometime, seeing how companies like Nintendo keep wanting to make new consoles to raise the mony output. But I still don't exactly care for any of this. I used to be a big console nut, trying to get my hands on a copy of Nintendo power's (RIP in peace) latest issue. But when I got my laptop and eventually got Portal 2 and Counter strike and stuff like that I really didn't care for consoles. And I feel the same today. Plus, the Wii U is boring as shit so I wont find anything in that. And the news about the Xbox one and it's "New, 'cool' features" isn't exactly inspiring confidence. I know a lot, wait scratch that, MOST of you are into the home console stuff more then me, but this is ust my opinion.

tl;dr version: I like pc gaming more I honestly don't care for this blah blah opinions shmopinions
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Apr 19, 2009
Location:
Posts: 3788
Age: 16
Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
So, I was Youtube, just browsing and minding my own business
SO IT WAS YOU ALL ALONG! WHY CAN'T I MAKE "MY SUBSCRIPTIONS" THE DEFAULT FEED ON MY HOMEPAGE, ASSHOLE?
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Senior Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Join Date: Apr 15, 2012
Location: Tralfamadore
Posts: 74
Age: 26
I wouldn't mind consoles dieing out, (mostly because the fanboy's will shut the hell up and stop whining about which is best) but I HATE, HATE, HATE tablets.
Besides, If consoles die than real portable gaming devises (what I play with when I'm not playing on ether my PC or titles that are not on PC on consels, the second of witch would no longer be an issue) won't stand a chance. This would particularly screw over fans of JRPG's and other genres that are not as common (or high in quality) on other platforms anymore.

But that's just what I think. I suppose that I could be wrong.
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Join Date: May 21, 2012
Location: Location Location. Thats my motto.
Posts: 304
Age: 26
CookedChef said:
To be honest, I don't care. I've delved so much into PC gaming as of late that I don't even look into this stuff. And if I do, It's for games that work on consoles I already own. I know this is going to die sometime, seeing how companies like Nintendo keep wanting to make new consoles to raise the mony output. But I still don't exactly care for any of this. I used to be a big console nut, trying to get my hands on a copy of Nintendo power's (RIP in peace) latest issue. But when I got my laptop and eventually got Portal 2 and Counter strike and stuff like that I really didn't care for consoles. And I feel the same today. Plus, the Wii U is boring as shit so I wont find anything in that. And the news about the Xbox one and it's "New, 'cool' features" isn't exactly inspiring confidence. I know a lot, wait scratch that, MOST of you are into the home console stuff more then me, but this is ust my opinion.
tl;dr version: I like pc gaming more I honestly don't care for this blah blah opinions shmopinions
Yeah, but if home consoles really do die out and all we're left with is computers and smartphones to play on, then I'd be in trouble because:

1. I can't play any of the new games on my laptop because it's slow as crap(although, I can play La-Mulana, Cavestory, and others for obvious reasons).

2. *coming soon*



PixelVortex said:
I am not a console gamer so I am not fussed either way, however I don't see the problem in the video he says that you would be able to plug in your phone to the TV with a HDMI cable and plug in a controller and play your games, which is most likely what would happen, I don't think they would be stupid enough to think that everyone wants to play on a tiny screen with awful touch controls. In fact, I see nothing wrong with that, it is basically taking a PlayStation XBox or Wii and shrinking it down and making it also a portable gaming device and a phone, seems like the same as the current console experience but more diverse. I wouldn't mind it being that way, however I don't see it being that way with the current console "hardcore" gamers usually trying to separate themselves from the "casual" mobile gamers, I just don't see it instantly catching on with them. Overall though I think it seems pretty interesting and if it were to be the future of console gaming I wouldn't mind it but yeah I agree that consoles probably won't phase out that soon.

I know. It's just that I grew up with the physical versions of games.



Captain Fabulous said:
SO IT WAS YOU ALL ALONG! WHY CAN'T I MAKE "MY SUBSCRIPTIONS" THE DEFAULT FEED ON MY HOMEPAGE, ASSHOLE?
\(O_O)/ what did I do??
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3713
Age: 30
Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
\(O_O)/ what did I do??
Oh, c'mon. Can't you read? Here, I'll help you out.

Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
So, I was Youtube, just browsing and minding my own business, when I found THIS(Fair warning: video might contain some naughty references)
...still don't see it?

Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
So, I was Youtube, just browsing...
If you still don't see it then I don't know how to help you.
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 4, 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7
I don't think consoles will die out after this generation.
Unless it's the Xbox One that kills it.
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Join Date: May 21, 2012
Location: Location Location. Thats my motto.
Posts: 304
Age: 26
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Oh, c'mon. Can't you read? Here, I'll help you out.


...still don't see it?

So, I was Youtube, just browsing...
If you still don't see it then I don't know how to help you.
Oh geez 0-0'
(sometime later...)
Okay, I fixed it. How embarrassing.
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Join Date: Jan 24, 2011
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 1368
Age: 26
As long as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo do everything they can to make home consoles unique, I think they can sustain themselves for longer than one more generation. Nintendo has the Gamepad for the Wii U, and I think that's a step in the right direction. Microsoft is trying to appeal to the very casual fans now, but I still know a handful of people that aren't casual gamers who are getting the Xbox One. Sony has... I don't know. Does anybody know? But like the guy in the video said, as long as the games are fun, everything's fine. Let's just hope that the console games are more fun.
 
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM
THE suus
"..."
Join Date: May 14, 2012
Location: yeah
Posts: 399
Age: 22
Tpcool said:
Sony has... I don't know. Does anybody know?
Sony has everything.

But no seriously. Sony is branching off into something diferent with stuff like the PS4 and all that. I'm not sure what they're doing with this in the long run, as newer consoles tend to change news and feature often before it's release. Welp, I guess we'll find out at E3.
 
Jun 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Join Date: Jul 10, 2009
Location:
Posts: 1004
Age: 37
I just hope that video games will be higher and higher quality graphics and otherwise, and that the development of them will not be hindered by any out-dated technology. You know they like to sell you first the inferior then the superior. It's like if you have 3 things: one good, one better and an even better. Many wouild sell them by that order, since if you sell first the one with the highest quality who will look at the lowest? Ethical or not... I 've read somewhere that flatscreen tvs would have been possible for acceptable price earlier, but the companies wanted to make profit from the classic-style first.
 
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Senior Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Join Date: Apr 15, 2012
Location: Tralfamadore
Posts: 74
Age: 26
trickybilly said:
I 've read somewhere that flatscreen tvs would have been possible for acceptable price earlier, but the companies wanted to make profit from the classic-style first.

That sounds like something our society would do. Or any capitalist society for that matter.
 
Jun 14, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Senior Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Join Date: May 24, 2013
Location: anywhere near video games
Posts: 75
Age: 21
Man, to me, the thought of home consoles just being banned, or destroyed, or declined, or whatever is as silly as the thought of the apocalypse just around the corner. It's just ridiculous! (just my opinion, so i expect a few people to disagree. just my opinion ;))
 
Jun 16, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Mar 15, 2013
Location:
Posts: 229
Don't have much faith in them anymore, or that's just me getting old.

What i can tell objectively, is that the new DRM-features on consoles is an awful idea and the people behind that idea should be rewarded with swift punishment. What are you going to do, 1 year after a game is released and now you want your hands on it? Well, tough luck.
And now your xbox one is online at least once 24 hours for verification, i bet microtransactions are looking more attractive for devs aswell. More subjective to me but i really can't stand chopping up the game's contents and have the other half for purchase, bit by bit for 50 cents.
 
Jun 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Senior Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Join Date: Apr 15, 2012
Location: Tralfamadore
Posts: 74
Age: 26
A Gamer said:
Man, to me, the thought of home consoles just being banned, or destroyed, or declined, or whatever is as silly as the thought of the apocalypse just around the corner. It's just ridiculous! (just my opinion, so i expect a few people to disagree. just my opinion ;))

Excuse me? Climate change.
 
Jun 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: May 21, 2013
Location: Online
Posts: 54
Age: 24
Just hope consoles stay, unless they go all "Xbox One" on us.
 
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 25, 2013
Location:
Posts: 2
Age: 20
i think nintendo should bee company that should bail out. they do not make any new consoles (they just make upgrades of the first thing and never stop)the ds can be an example of this. they make the prices of new consoles higher than lower so nobody buys them because they can't afford it. you'd think they would run bankrupt by now anyway.
 
Jun 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jan 13, 2011
Location: Lasagna
Posts: 4485
Yes
Nintendo should bail out
They could go bankrupt any minute now
 
Jun 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Join Date: May 21, 2012
Location: Location Location. Thats my motto.
Posts: 304
Age: 26
Although I do agree that Nintendo needs to up their game(no pun intended) if they're to compete in the console market, I find the idea of Nintendo going bankrupt or them announcing that their pulling out to be ridiculous.
 
Top