The Animation Thread

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Hey all. As the name entails, this thread is created for animation nuts(such as myself) to show their animations and basically discuss anything animation related. To start, I will post this(this was from WAAAAAY back when I was a noob on the interwebz so forgive the username X1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He5o2SigkBU

Also, one film I HIGHLY recommend people see is The Iron Giant(If you haven't heard of it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Gyokzpyzg
It takes place at the height of the Cold War(1957 to be exact) and stars a boy named Hogarth Hughes who's life changes forever after discovering a 100-foot tall iron man(hence The Iron Giant). This is a classic example of an "intelligent animated film" that mixes humor(Hogarth hyped up on caffine XD) and a very serious topic(the concept of death and how "guns kill"(albeit more subtle than that)) and does so in a way that feels right. Not to mention that I love the design of the Giant(especially in his OTHER form(though I'm tight lipped on that X3). Although the movie was given critical acclaim by many and later gaining a cult following, it failed at the box-office due to Invisible Advertising on Warner Brother's part(it wasn't until the movie hit VHS and DVD that they realized that they had a keeper on their hands and went all out in advertising the home release).

Now that I'm done, let the discussion commence.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This one's not my animation, but a friend of mine's from school. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Lego stop-motion films, moreso into 2D animations, but his seem rather well done since he's doing it by himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EhVSAnFSn4

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Jun 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Not sure if this is really what you're looking for but,
here's some old animation related videos I favorited on youtube :

I've browsed several lego stop motion animations...
This particular series was probably my favorite xD

If only I had a camera to make one back when I was into legos...

And here's a slideshow animation from Ragnarok Online that I liked :

It's pretty poor in effects quality, but the story is easy to enjoy.
Really targeted for RO fans, but hey!

And lastly here's a short fan series on Melty Blood that I once liked a lot :
As for myself, don't think I have any videos worth sharing.
At least at the moment...

@Ultimate Nerd-meister & ciaxel - That's quality animation styles there ;D nice...

That reminds me, did the Cave Story After Effects animation series ever get anywhere?

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:49 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
@X-Calibur
Yes, it's still in progress. I don't know how to use Adobe After Effects at the moment though so hopefully I'll find alternatives. Or maybe just work in raw Flash.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Another film I recomme- well, actually, it's a documentary, but it's still interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aidc7gS1-II

... And remember when I said on my profile that I'm a lover of all things strange and whimsical? This is what I mean.