Switch to phpbb?

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Since the Switch to IPBoard? thread is too old now, we need a new one.

Now, before you begin to move this thread to the SPOT, this is actually a serious suggestion and not a troll post.

I have done lots of speed tests using Noxid's server, since his server does have a copy of phpbb.
I never needed to login to Noxid's forum to do these tests, and I don't think he realized that I was using up a considerable portion of his monthly bandwidth simply by redirecting massive quantities of Reddit data into his POST and GET requests.

I also did some completely different tests on the Indie Game How To Design Club forums that are associated with my university. They use phpbb for their forums, and Wordpress to run their site.

It turns out that phpbb runs way faster than IPBoard.

I would like to see the speed of vBulletin without the spam of it. I don't want the super-slow IPBoard, which really is just "too fancy looking" and "too slow" for its own good. So phpbb for no spam and really good efficiency.

Thoughts?

Addendum - Notice that there is no picture of trollface on this post.
Please provide actual thoughts instead of comments like LOLWUT??

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Not anymore
Think about the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor.

Because it doesn't work with just simple BBcode, IPBoard does weird stuff, like exhale raw HTML in your face if you switch editing modes in the incorrect manner.

However, phpbb and vBulletin never have this issue. The only issue with vBulletin is the spam issue.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Personally as someone who has managed a phpbb forum I can say that phpbb is pretty horrible in general not only when it comes to simply managing it, but also when it comes to being a user on it. I rank it below IPBoards and my feelings towards IP is pretty bad.

Personally, I want to see us go back to vBulletin. People keep talking about the spambot issue, but since we've switched over a few advancements has come out in that department so it wouldn't be nearly as bad as before.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Been here way too long...
Carrotlord said:
I have done lots of speed tests using Noxid's server, since his server does have a copy of phpbb.
I never needed to login to Noxid's forum to do these tests, and I don't think he realized that I was using up a considerable portion of his monthly bandwidth simply by redirecting massive quantities of Reddit data into his POST and GET requests.
I have a feeling this didn't tell you what kind of spambot protection phpbb has to offer. Also phpbb sucks, so no.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Not anymore
Actually that part was a joke. I did not install Reddit into http://noxid.ca

The rest of the original post was serious, more or less.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Based Member
For what it is, phpBB is okay. But it lacks features. For example, it doesn't have notifications or VMs. So if you want to contact a user and just say something that isn't super long and doesn't necessarily need to be said in private, you'd have to PM that user rather than simply send him or her a VM. And the PM storage fills up once per message, rather than once per conversation. In addition, phpBB has no support for putting time stamps or post links in quotes. All contrasts from even IP Board. If a switch is to take place, then it would be a bad move to move it to phpBB.

I loathe IP Board and miss vBulletin as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure what authority us regular users (or even mods and admins other than the main one) have to tell andwhy to change the current forum software, especially considering we changed not too long ago.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:58 AM
/end
I dunno, it has been about a good year since we've switched over, that is a decent amount of time in my opinion.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Not anymore
Do you guys understand what PHP is?

PHP is a programming language.

phpbb is an open source bulletin board.

You do realize that software can be modified, right?
Any feature you want? It's right there.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
PhpBB lacks anything close to the feature set of vB and IPB and my experience with it as a user was subpar. vB was great until vB4 when Internet Brands took vB off of Jelsoft's hands and from what I've heard it hasn't gotten any better. Hell. I heard that vB5 is 3x as slow as the bugfest that was vB4. The glory days of vB3 are long behind us.

You know the excessive amount of features I had to work in for the IPB switch? The IPB forums that already had 90% of vB's features already and a few of it's own. Now imagine that with forum software that has around 20% of those features and the complaints that will follow then. I am not doing PhpBB. IPB isn't perfect but it is the closest compromise I can give you guys right now. Xenforo may get there one day, but that's a while away yet.
Carrotlord said:
You do realize that software can be modified, right?
Any feature you want? It's right there.
Then you undo your work whenever you upgrade. -_-;
Carrotlord said:
Because it doesn't work with just simple BBcode, IPBoard does weird stuff, like exhale raw HTML in your face if you switch editing modes in the incorrect manner.
A way to consistently reproduce this issue would go a long way towards fixing it, but it just seems to happen randomly. I would like to confirm if this issue is fixed in the next update.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Not anymore
Okay nevermind then.

Any moderator or administrator on the CSTSF is now free to change the thread's title to Switch to VanillaBB? and then move it to the SPOT so it can be played as a forum game.