Runescape

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I figured I'd make an official thread for this. It'll probably help reinforce the fact that I'm a smarmy fucker that likes to take the piss.

Link here ==> http://www.runescape.com/

p186073-0-runescape.png

An image of Lumbridge, the ancestral starting point for many a new Runescape player

- What It is -
A couple a' chavs back in the 90s got to thinkin they knew a thing or two about programmin and figured they'd make their own graphical MUD because y'aint got much better to do when you're stuck in mum's basement all day. They kept tacking on features to this monstrosity, and eventually a lot of people got upset with what they tacked on and stopped playing, but not quite enough for it to die.
It is a video game by academic definition, in that there is video and it contains some game-like elements such as levels and a sense of progression. There are a number of servers and each can hold up to 2000 players (as it was in 2004 and ever shall be) although it's rare to see any hit that cap nowadays. But, if the one you're on gets too crowded for your taste you can just switch to another.

p186073-1-112848d1341483265runescaperunescape.jpg

Runescape today features rich 3D environments and models, and there are many stats to build to make your warrior stronger.

- How It Runs -
Despite being older than some of the people that've posted on this forum, they manage to have been able to retain the feel of playing a game on early-2000's hardware and network connections. It's a browser game, you don't need to install anything other than Java to play it and I'd say at the lowest settings it is just light enough to get by with only *some* chugging on a low-end laptop.

p186073-2-1392777802379.png

Runescape's "low-detail" setting is finely tuned to provide optimal performance on even dated hardware.

- Basic Story -
You play as one random tosser out of many who's set forth to rape the land's natural resources for personal profit and kill anything that moves. After going through a brief tutorial about exterminating mountain trolls trying to desperately defend their homes from encroaching human development, you're let loose into a completely open world to piss about as you please. Except for the parts that are for members only. Also Guthix died, which let the young gods came back and now they're fighting over the Stone of Jas which is said to have the power of the Elder Gods. Or something.

Dragon.jpg

A high-level player faces off against a Red Dragon, one of Runescape's most fearsome denizens.

- Free to Play -
Runescape basically invented the F2P MMO scene and the free portion of the game has remained relatively preserved in its historic state since the RS2 launched in 2004. You can explore about a quarter of the surface world, have access to *most* skills but training them effectively at all past 40-60 is a chore, and you're limited to using shit-tier weapons and armour.
But, if you somehow manage to become a feather baron and earn 6-7 million gold, you can use it to buy 14 days worth of membership!
also there is a "cosmetic bullshit" store where you can spend perfectly good money on useless crap important things like furry cosplay.

p186073-4-halloweengreywerewolfcostume696a9de5.jpg

An affluent player shows off a werewolf outfit purchased in Solomon's General Store. Note that the pants (and other pieces) can be assigned custom colors by the player.

- Gameplay -
You click on things and wait for stuff to happen. Some more advanced gameplay requires you to click on several specific things in a certain order, or to click things that move or only appear for a short amount of time. The other gameplay component involves reading various numbers to determine if you should *not* click on something. If you had a touchscreen, you could effectively play runescape with your dick, although probably not very well.
The game also has quests that involve finding where the quest starts, skipping a bunch of dialog, and then going to the wiki and reading how to solve the bullshit puzzles.

p186073-5-larp.jpg

Several players engaged in PVP activities in the "Wilderness", a barren and dangerous area where players can attack each other freely.

- Classes -
There used to be a random event about going to school to identify basic patterns and shapes but that was deemed "too demanding" for the average Runescape player, so was removed in a later patch.
In runescape, there are three modes of combat that you can choose to train - Melee, Ranged, and Magic. However, there's no choice to be made when you create your account as you can level up each of these skills at your own pace and there's no downside to leveling up one over the other. Which is a nice way of saying none of the choices you make have any bearing whatsoever.

Melee - Warrior
p186073-6-jeran.gif

The heart of the runescape experience, melee combat involves putting on your best armor and biggest weapon, then clicking on something and waiting until either you or it dies.
Ranged - Archer
p186073-7-robinhooderrolflynn002.jpg

Archers have traditionally been the red-headed stepchild of the combat triangle, being neither useful outside of combat nor easy to train as melee. As such, ranged content was largely ignored in game updates and it wasn't until 2009 that they introduced a second ranged weapon, "different shaped bow". It recieved a lukewarm reception from the players and a score of 9/10 on IGN.
Magic - Wizard
p186073-8-0005.gif

In order to cast spells, wizards require large numbers of one-use consumable "runes". So, essentially your magic skill is a measure of how good you are at banging rocks together. Still, this makes it an expensive skill to train, so much like in real life Runescape wizards are the 1%. Also like in real life, if you're in that 1% you can use your skills to escape dangerous situations, make things dead, and conjure money out of thin air.

Damn, it's over already. I didn't even waste enough time to make it to lunch.
Anyway, hopefully this'll serve as enough of a warning that one or two people think twice about getting wrapped up in this never-ending grind treadmill. If you feel like playing with someone else then you can blow me, Runescape isn't a multiplayer game and I'm not giving you my IGN.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Based Member
Ah yes, RuneScape. My brother once started trying to play it some time in 2005 or 2006, and lost interest very quickly.

My cousin, though, used to be really into it. He got his guy pretty high up, and he was really into making his guy stronger. I think he once told me about this one time he was watching TV and simultaneously making this absent-minded repetitive motion of clicks that slowly gained him gold. And I think at one point he installed an auto-clicker that did something like that for him. He also uploaded a video to youtube asking anyone who was quitting RuneScape to give him their account credentials so that he could use that account to give all that gold to himself. He actually got a few responses. It was quite amusing how into it he was for a while... Until that one fateful day when Minecraft took the spotlight...

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I tried this game back in 2008 or something
I didn't really like it at all

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
My brother started playing it many years back. His character got lost in a forest and chopped down a lot of trees. His wood cutting level shot up within hours. For some reason their password regulations were unrealistically strict, so he created a new account each time to play. That being said, he only went back to it maybe three times before forgetting about it altogether.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Noxid said:
You click on things and wait for stuff to happen. Some more advanced gameplay requires you to click on several specific things in a certain order, or to click things that move or only appear for a short amount of time. The other gameplay component involves reading various numbers to determine if you should *not* click on something.
p186077-0-lmy5p.gif

And to think this game was a trend back in my junior high years.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Professional Whatever
It's great when someone makes fun of you for seriously trying to show off a game you enjoy

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think "inspired by" would be a more accurate descriptor.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Doors said:
It's great when someone makes fun of you for seriously trying to show off a game you enjoy
I'd say the fact that you see this as an attack on yourself rather than as a thread about Runescape shows some narcissistic tendencies in yourself.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Professional Whatever
Coming from the almost complete parallel and parody-like nature yeah I did assume the connection

But yeah I guess it was an overreaction my bad nox

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:08 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Great, glad we could move past that

now let's talk about the real important things, like the squeal of fortune / treasure hunter
I won a lucky SGS the other day, get fukd nerds

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:40 AM
Professional Whatever
Squeal of fortune was kind of weird but it gave some neat stuff.

I remember lots of rune running to make my fortune. Picking up blank runes and then running across the world to empower them then sell them gets irritating after a few hours.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:16 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I believe the reason it's so profitable is precisely because it's boring af
which is impressive, considering what your other options are when playing this

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:33 AM
Professional Whatever
I think they recently updated the battle system to add in some kind of interesting stuff like skills and battle stance sprites. It's still really dull though.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:34 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
yeah. it was too interesting though, so the players got them to put in an option to switch back to the original one.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I only remember runescape having a shitty isometric style rather than a shitty generic 3d style. I guess that's what happens when shitty tech evolves.

Speaking of online mmo's and @ the op I wonder if people still unironically play neopets

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Been here way too long...
Why would you wonder that
You know about the internet, sebti. You know how people are. This is not even a question worth posing.

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Professional Whatever
In my dream, Runescape sure was frightening, and infuriating
But I have to admit, it was full of catchy music

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:01 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Captain Fabulous said:
This is not even a question worth posing.
Joke's on you; I never even technically posed a question

~=~=~=~=~

why do people still play neopets anyway since their economy has collapsed

according to MATH it's like $1 for 5644624 Neopoints http://www.neopets.com/aboutus.phtml

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:07 AM
Professional Whatever
I believe you're mistaken; the cost ratio appears to be 1 asparagus : 6,800,151 neopoints