Robot Story

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:27 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

So... with my introduction that i've joined the forums, I've started to make a little mod. I will need to make a download link, so be waiting.

Mostly this story is about being one of those robots from the Geothermal/First Core room, Y'know. The bots that are destroyed in the water. Well, everybody is reacting to you, saying you're a killer robot. But as about all Cave Story mods go, you are silent. Well, I'll make him silent for now. ANYWAYS... its more of a texture mod, but I am changing Mimiga texts right now, so Sue and them are being like NUTZ saying you're a killer. I'm not really changing much so far, hence the title.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sr6f3jzmcfmgzc3/Robot+Story.zip <-------- OLD Download link

Remember, SUPER EARLY
Ehm... it may be finished in about 4-3 days? School tomorrow, maybe. At least tomorrow is a delay and its friday, and the rest of the week was cancelled... I love you snow.

And I am not changing levels for now, soon, when I am better at making mods.. :toroko2:

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:53 AM
Perpetually out of it
Okay, I can see the potential in this mod's concept, and it needs to be executed very meticulously if it is to achieve this potential.
So far, I found a few bugs.
- When you press 'load' on the title screen, you spawn stuck inside the water in the first cave
- When the player falls down from said first cave, King and Toroko's dialogue repeats itself.
- After said dialogue, every time you talk to King in between that time and fighting Balrog, he will always yell
"TOROKO! RIGHT BEHI", switching to Toroko's "AHHHHHHH", to which King will sometimes magically fly backwards, even after repeating this process. I actually got King to fall down to the stairs by repeating this process.
Some minor problems I have with the mod so far:
- The redesigned sprite for Quote doesn't really look like a Robot from the Core room, much less a robot at all, so I would recommend maybe incorporating some gray into the sprite.
- All dialogue is completely unchanged from the original game after you give Toroko back her pendant, so it doesn't really fit the whole "do not trust killer robot because it's a killer robot" theme.

As for the mod itself, if you changed the dialogue more and perhaps changed the scripted events, I could definitely see this mod turning into something great.
As for now...keep up the work, man. You're getting there.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:12 AM
2dbro
A'ight. I have some more news, I am updating it RIGHT NOW! It is having more dialog in the Core and Dark Place rooms... The robot can talk in there...
Yeah...

Nadojin said:
Okay, I can see the potential in this mod's concept, and it needs to be executed very meticulously if it is to achieve this potential.
So far, I found a few bugs.
- When you press 'load' on the title screen, you spawn stuck inside the water in the first cave
- When the player falls down from said first cave, King and Toroko's dialogue repeats itself.
- After said dialogue, every time you talk to King in between that time and fighting Balrog, he will always yell
"TOROKO! RIGHT BEHI", switching to Toroko's "AHHHHHHH", to which King will sometimes magically fly backwards, even after repeating this process. I actually got King to fall down to the stairs by repeating this process.
Some minor problems I have with the mod so far:
- The redesigned sprite for Quote doesn't really look like a Robot from the Core room, much less a robot at all, so I would recommend maybe incorporating some gray into the sprite.
- All dialogue is completely unchanged from the original game after you give Toroko back her pendant, so it doesn't really fit the whole "do not trust killer robot because it's a killer robot" theme.

As for the mod itself, if you changed the dialogue more and perhaps changed the scripted events, I could definitely see this mod turning into something great.
As for now...keep up the work, man. You're getting there.
Thanks so much.
I'm working on that stuff, but for some reason, paint will NOT let me use any other colors than the quote sprites and the stars...
Uh oh... when I got ready to update scripting in the village... ALL THE SCRIPTS WERE GONE! I might make a redo version of the game, with other features.

UPDATING
NEW
SPRITES
ALONG
WITH
NEW
GAME

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:17 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Everything Nadojin said, and when you talk to Mahin his text will be like :
*chomp chomp*
"!"
"Oh! You startled me..."
"Ah! You're a robot!"
and then the text box will stay blank for a while before it shows all of the other lines that Mahin says throughout the whole original game.
Also, when you go to the starting point and you exit, you're brought to the entrance of the Hermit Gunsmith's door(you can't see your character either), the interface asks if you want to save and then you drown. I don't know if it's supposed to do that or not, but if it is...that is so evil >.<

From what I've heard and experienced, modding isn't something that only takes a few days to do, unless you're only doing an extremely short mod, so it'll probably take longer to finish than just a few days. If you put more effort into it though I'm sure it'll turn out to be a nice little mod. I recommend you test out your mod every time you make changes, to make sure it doesn't have bugs, or if the text runs off-screen. Your idea and concept is good, so all you really have to work on is your modding skills. I look forward to seeing this mod finished though :3

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:53 AM
2dbro
Spriting is hard.
Gotta love dem Mahin quotes. But anyways, I have to start ALL OVER. The scripting dissapeared for the village. And on the last version I didnt test.. eh... Ill make sure to test this time AND fix the bugs.
It'll be short because I'm only changing texts, some scripts, ect.
Soon I might make a sequel... when I get better at modding...
A'ight, just telling you people.. I am restarting the first project.

Well, maybe he wont be a killer robot... maybe he will be like Quote... Maybe Dance Dance Revolution will turn out good! (I doubt that last part)

2DBro said:
A'ight, just telling you people.. I am restarting the first project.
Yes, its for the best. The first one was a dread... so this one will have more to it, including custom stages! I will actually WORK on this mod! Wait... uh.. yeah.
(I mean work harder)

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:02 AM
Perpetually out of it
2DBro said:
I'm working on that stuff, but for some reason, paint will NOT let me use any other colors than the quote sprites and the stars...
If you're having trouble with paint, I recommend you switch to some other sprite making software.
I'd recommend Adobe Photoshop the most, though assuming you have the money to shell out for it... (it costs around $200, last I checked)
I currently use GraphicsGale, which works really well. It supports multiple frames, layers, and any feature paint comes with.
It's really a minor thing too, but...
You can control the cursor with the arrow keys! (I really love this feature)
So yeah. I've heard Asprite is really good too.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:05 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Spriting can be hard, especially when there's the 16x16 grid and the black transparency in mind. Also, when making sprites with custom colors, it's best to convert the .pbm file (or .bmp if you change the file format in Booster's Lab(?) or in Cave Editor) from 16-bit to 24-bit.

Assuming that you're referencing to the "Team 9" robot, it could also be much harder spriting him to his former self, as there's a lack of detail on the character sprite himself and you have the Terminator face in the Face file. Here's what could be my best interpretation of the robot, but it's up to you on how you want him to look like.

p177993-0-2dppkmm.png

I actually had to recheck while making this post, the "reconstructed" Team 9 robot I made still goes within the 16x16 grid (the photo was enlarged for a better view).

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM
2dbro
I currently use GraphicsGale, which works really well. It supports multiple frames, layers, and any feature paint comes with.

It's really a minor thing too, but...
You can control the cursor with the arrow keys! (I really love this feature)
So yeah. I've heard Asprite is really good too.
I have Adobe, but it does not work well with my computer, and I'll probably try one of those to use more colors. :orangebell:

p177993-0-2dppkmm.png

I actually had to recheck while making this post, the "reconstructed" Team 9 robot I made still goes within the 16x16 grid (the photo was enlarged for a better view).
That gives me a good idea for updating the new sprite as well! Thanks!

Ah, more spriting. At least its little details like hats and such, heh.

Still working, but the MyChar has been changed alot.

+Added Shading to the character

+Added undereye lines

+Adding hats

+Giving it Terminator eyes.

About ready with the new version

About ready with the new version

I hope. Bugfixes, I might need help on... I have decided I will customize stages and stuff, make new storyline, ect. But, for some reason, I can't get the game to work. Here's my starting command

<FAC0027<MSGUgh, where am I?<FAI0002<CMU0030

I will be working on it.

If you have any experiences/fixes, then please tell me.

Ok, I think I fixed it! Cheers! The new mod will be released! Its only just a test room for now, and I am still doing a little bugfixes, but just play around for now! Updates:
+Revised the robot texture ALOT
+Made the first Stage
+Made a face picture for him
+Changed up the menu title
Thats all folks!
Wait...
There are two bugs I can't fix...
The Load button
And when you die.
I will try to fix those
Again, its a .zip on mediafire. Yey mediafire!http://www.mediafire.com/download/xn2ak0kfle985pu/RobotStory.zip

Remember, its a playtest.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
hm. well, i dunno what you're talking about about the load button, it works fine! (maybe it was because use gamepad was selected?)
as for the dying thing, theres a <FAI0000 somewhere in the script, right?
(also, put a <KEY before the <MSG so the character doesnt move around)

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:37 PM
2dbro
hm. well, i dunno what you're talking about about the load button, it works fine! (maybe it was because use gamepad was selected?)
as for the dying thing, theres a <FAI0000 somewhere in the script, right?
(also, put a <KEY before the <MSG so the character doesnt move around)
OK, I just realized the load button when I went to playtest. Thanks for that advice there, I forgot about <KEY.

I am trying to add in texts and chests, but every time I add a flag and event script, I press down on it, and it asks me if I want to save. It doesn't make sense.
Your Quotes Revenge game is great. I beat Misery on my first try. Well, now I'm testing the chest script and other things.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/xk5q24mgvvj5vm7/RobotStoryV.3.zip

+Added Arm Cannon (Long Range)

+Fixed death bug

Well, looks like the darker colors crash the game.. I wont be putting up that update,

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't know if this is intentional, but whenever I touch just one Dorito EXP triangle, Arm Cannon is in the max level. Is that supposed to happen?

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM
2dbro
Well, I might make a new mod...
I have an idea, but I dont think none of you will like it... maybe.

Well, you must want to know what I wanna do.

NOT TELLING YOU! ITS A SECRET! :muscledoc:

TLincoln said:
I don't know if this is intentional, but whenever I touch just one Dorito EXP triangle, Arm Cannon is in the max level. Is that supposed to happen?
Yeah, its supposed to be like that because I was thinking it would be the only main weapon.. thus making it long range and 15 damage at max.
I might start working on the new project.
Paint hates me, D:
2DBro said:
Well, I might make a new mod...NOT TELLING YOU! ITS A SECRET!
Pikmin Story, ARE YOU HAPPY? :balrog:

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:08 PM
for scripts, you have to use 90 and above, any lower will take you to the global scripts (like for example, #0016 is the save point's script)
that may be why it's asking you to save, but without the scripts themselves i can't exactly help.
or, you may have mistyped something and had #00122, which the game reads as #0012, which makes it go to the save script.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:23 PM
2dbro
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I'm fixing that, and I'm making a door to a new place, but it teleports in a random place... brb for a sec. dinner.

1, 13 are the x,y coords and no its not in a block

OK, I am back. So I watched Noxid's guide on youtube, and that helped alot. But he didn't cover doors that well. All he covered was maps and TSC, but it didnt show anything about doors. Either it did, or I wasn't listening that much..
You can open it up with CE and open up the mod. If you do, check the scripts and tell me what you see wrong please.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:42 PM
i dont see a new download link, but for doors you need <TRA(map #):(event #):(x coordinate):(y coordinate)
in your case, it would be <TRA(map#):0090:0001:0013
but define 'random place' more, is it not on the right map, spot, or event #?

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:56 PM
2dbro
Ok, I set it to Yamashita Farm, and changed the level around a bit, I'll give the download.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qqgly6qn78uld5c/RobotStory4.zip

There, mediafire again.
[/spoilerIf you meet me on minecraft classic, i'm masterofpower]

Wups.

Hey metal, did you give up on that megaman story? I liked it.
I made that download with the second room bugged so someone could help with CE.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM

uh... "<TRA0017:0200:1 12 " and "<MOV2 13 "?

the game literally says "<TRAXXXX:YYYY:ZZZZ:WWWW" and "MOVXXXX:YYYY"
instead, they should be <TRA0017:0200:0001:0012 and <MOV0002:0013, that way it works.
also in yamashita farm, go into properties and change NPC tileset 1 to maze, so you dont get jumbled up critter mess.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:00 AM
2dbro
Ok, I think I have the doors and Horiz/Vert portals down now. Thanks!

Ah, so I've added some more. And this update will be BIG.
Adding some resevoir stuff,
I need help, What would be Kanpachi's NPC number, and what would his animation number be? (Spoilers)

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM

kanpachi (fishing)'s NPC number is 75, kanpachi (standing)s NPC number is 226 and his animation number (if youre talking about <ANP) would correspond to his event number, in which you can go here for a list of ANP numbers.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:50 AM
2dbro
Now all I need help on is this one bug. I made an entrance to the Resevoir, and I'm about halfway done with the inside of Kanpachi's house. But the door outside of his house, in the resevoir, just repeats the entrance. I don't know why, because I have the door script numbered into the door. I need help. If you need a download link... here.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5o0hci5pw5a39a/RobotStory4.1.zip

Mediafire FTW! :orangebell:

Jeez, every day I see new people coming onto this thread. I like it! :)
Kayya's coming to save the day! I need to put him in the credits. ^-^
Wow, even Hayden has come on now! :D

NOO! A 1 STAR RATING! :muscledoc: :muscledoc: :muscledoc: :muscledoc: RAAAAAAAAAAGE!!! lol.

Kayya must be reasearching majorly, because he usually finds my bug and helps me fix it in about 2-3 minutes. It must be a rare glitch!