Ripple Dot Zero

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
So I see no one has created a thread for Ripple Dot Zero yet (or if they have, they spelled it wrong :/), so here goes...

p174829-0-rippledotzeroblog.png

Ripple Dot Zero is a platformer by Pixeltruss that pays homage to the 90s in one way or another.This game was originally intended to be released in 2010. The said date got pushed to 2011, but it wasn't until the end of June this year that it got released.

The game is quite minimal in its story, but makes up for it with its artwork and catchy soundtrack. It's more based on exploration, with secrets that can be found in each of the levels. The controls are similar to Cave Story's, except, by default, X is jump and Z is attack.

It can be played here: http://www.rippledotzero.com. The F key initiates fullscreen, but it seems glitchy if you return back to the normal game window.

---

If you have played this before: I'm currently replaying to find all the secrets, and as I was playing through Ripple Laboratories Area 2, I noticed something strange. The level says that there are nine secrets to be found, however, I was only able to find eight. The last one, however, makes the counter jump from 7 to 9. I wonder if this is a glitch, and perhaps there are nine actual secrets to be found. There doesn't seem to be, at the moment.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
11/10 it's okay.

In all seriousness I played the whole game on New Grounds, I would have liked it more if they had put more time into the physics and character control. The art looks fine though there are a few assets that look a bit worse then others, and the game gets a bit shakey trying to keep the style at times.

Everything visually is still rather clean and the gameplay is solid, since I got to play each level either by being a collection whore or going fast as possible. I would have liked if they had pulled a sonic the hedgehog thing where you could rescue each guy by either getting all the things to play the level or just making it through really quickly to get the same chance.

It's worth checking out still.

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Pretty sleek looking penguin game. My biggest issue was technical. I don't know if it's Internet Explorer, or if something else is going on; but the keys kept sticking, causing me to run into things or randomly spaz out. (MAYBE HE IS FIGHTING FOR CONTROL FROM THE MIND CHIP IMPLANTED...
.. anyway.

Not sure if it was running full speed either, after a few levels I used CheatEngine to speed it up to 1.4x for my own enjoyment, and it flowed better and made it actually dangerous. It might have been the correct speed though... Strange, I never had issues with Flash on this PC...

The art is great. That, what's the word, parallax in the background looked great.
Music was enjoyable too. That opening scene SFX/Music hooked me immediately.

Gotta run. Thanks for posting the game~

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Well, I found out that I had an unused iTunes card while cleaning out my desk drawer. The Ripple Dot Zero soundtrack had been on my wishlist for a while, so I went on ahead and bought it. The price they asked for 38 tracks is quite worth it, though not all of them are from RDZ. Some of them aren't seamless, either, which I find a bit disappointing. One of the tracks also sounds a bit different from the version in game, but most of what you'd expect from the game is in there. I'm not complaining; it's just going to take a while to get used to.

I am also starting some video walkthroughs/playthroughs of my own. I realize a lot of people have done it, but it seems like most of the walkthroughs I watch don't show how to find all the secrets.

Tutorial

Area 1

Finally got the youtube tags to work...yeah!

I would post more, but my computer seems to take a lot longer than it used to to upload YouTube videos for whatever reason. Plus, there's been some lag, but I think that has to do with me having too many tabs open at the same time. I've learned my lesson now, I think.

EDIT: Nope, it was because the quality was set too high.

Area 2