Regarding 60fps.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:14 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Since Cave Story runs natively at 50fps, everybody wants a 60fps CS. So Nicalis did that, with their CS+ and CS3D. And then we did that with the freeware version through modding. But from what I've seen all this does is speeding up the game by 20%.

From an interview with Pixel, he said this:
In the end, I made it 50 fps because there were no environments at 50 fps. Regardless what environment it's run on there would be no adverse issues. It's very important that the movement or motion is consistent no matter what the environment.

This led me to believe that the game's physics should not be changed (by that I mean feels different) as we upgrade it to a higher framerate. As in, it should feel "floaty" regardless of which framerate we choose.

Obviously I know that making it 60fps while retaining the floatiness isn't a simple task. However I'd like to know if anyone has thought of this but simply disregarded the idea because of how impractical it is.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Still, even if my theory falls completely flat. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of fans who prefers how the freeware version felt, so a "60fps while retaining the floatiness" mod should still be a good idea?

In fact an 100fps mod is even easier to implement, you won't have to redo the entire physics engine, and only have to add in the in-between frames.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:43 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Even if you edit the player's physics to fit the floatiness of 50FPS in 60FPS, that doesn't mean the other entities will be affected, which can look really odd.
And let's face it, I doubt anybody would edit the physics of all entities as well considering you'd have to do quite some math.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:03 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, but then the game will appear to run at 50FPS while consuming 2x the processing power.
My assumption is that since the game runs at 100fps, you'll see whatever your monitor's refresh rate is (if it's less than 100)? So for someone with a 60Hz monitor they would be playing/seeing it in 60fps.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm one of the few who prefer to play at 50 when both options are presented, no real reason behind it except I'm just really used to the timings of it.

I liked how some mods were now posting two exes for both versions so people could use what they prefered, and now with clownacy's loader one could change a single line in a text file to switch back and forth rather than having 2 exe versions or opening up ollydbg.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My assumption is that since the game runs at 100fps, you'll see whatever your monitor's refresh rate is (if it's less than 100)? So for someone with a 60Hz monitor they would be playing/seeing it in 60fps.
All standard monitors are 60fps. All standard tvs these days are 60fps. Any device with a screen these days is 60fps.

The chances of anyone here getting any benefit from a 100fps hack is astronomically low.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2017 at 5:44 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The ones whom I suggested would receive some benefits from a 100fps hack are the ones who would make said hack.

If I'm correct, then the codes inside Cave Story dictate how each entities move in a single frame. So to make a 60fps mod with the timing of the original 50fps game, you'd have to recalculate pretty much everything. But if you make a 100fps mod then you'll only have to fill in the gap, aka every next frame. Or if say it's something simple as "v = 5" or "g = 9.8" then you'll only have to halve the value, instead of multiplying them by 0.8333.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
how do you "fill in" the gap? linear interpolation? a frame is a frame, you can't say it's only half.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:57 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I mean something like.

If in 50fps, Quote's position in the first 5 frames are like this: 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 9

And I were to make an 100fps mod, I'll only have to make it like this: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9

In a 60fps mod, it'll look like: 1 - 2.6 - 4.2 - 5.8 - 7.4 - 9

Well looking at my own example in both cases I had to calculate 4 new frames. But I'd argue the 100fps calculations are faster while also be more precise.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:24 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I mean something like.

If in 50fps, Quote's position in the first 5 frames are like this: 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 9

And I were to make an 100fps mod, I'll only have to make it like this: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9

In a 60fps mod, it'll look like: 1 - 2.6 - 4.2 - 5.8 - 7.4 - 9

Well looking at my own example in both cases I had to calculate 4 new frames. But I'd argue the 100fps calculations are faster while also be more precise.

The game handles movement in frame chunks though. So there isn't an easy way to interpolate frames. As noxid said, a frame is a frame.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:27 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
and anyways, there's more to frames than physics - there's timers, and input, and the script - it would be an incalculable task to separate these from the update rate. It just wasn't built that way.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:38 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Why would you want 100FPS for a game like Cave Story anyway? 60FPS seems like the fastest that you need screen-wise (bar the physics).

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:49 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Why would you want 100FPS for a game like Cave Story anyway? 60FPS seems like the fastest that you need screen-wise (bar the physics).
Again, I'm saying that it'd be at least a bit easier to implement, not that it'd improve your gameplay experience anymore than 60fps would. "100fps Cave Story" was never the point of the thread though. I suggested making a 60fps CS while retaining the timing of freeware 50fps CS, and it's idea that was proven to be idiotic as not only does it not make sense to do so, it is also not plausible anyway.

Jun 21, 2017 at 4:04 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Uh, I'm pretty sure that's locked at 30fps.
I don't think so. I played CS3D on Citra before and since my laptop sucks with modern emulators it stayed 30 fps or under most of the time. 30 fps felt slow. So I think it's higher then that.