Random Modding Ideas Thread

May 31, 2018 at 11:11 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I got a few random ideas for modding that I don't know if I'll use

1. Make the EXP capsules treasure chests
2. Put the eye door at the end of the game in an escape sequence
3. Make the airtank bubble invisible and use the Mimiga Mask sprites as a plane, spaceship, or submarine in an Ironhead-physics fight
4. Speaking of those fights put the Bute spawners from Heavy Press in with one
5. Speaking of Heavy Press use him as a boss and have him NOT fall down but later in the game you pass under him and guess what happens
6. Kick the Kazuma NPCSet out and put the flying fans and Gaudis in with the outer wall-style ascent
7. Put Yoku Blocks in. Bonus if you need one of the Boosters to reach one of them and bonus points if you have to traverse them without the booster but have to come back later to reach higher up ones or ones under an overhang
8. Use the Balrogs, Igors, Undead Sue, and Curly as "elite enemies" like how the dragons are
9. Does Undead Misery work outside the boss fight? If so that would be like those plantation ogres but on steroids
10. An inventory item that lets you warp back to the last save point you used while not resetting the stuff you did. The "go to set save point" could just be replaced with "it's not working!" if you try to use it during an event like a boss fight
11. I'd say a missile life pot but several people beat me to it
12. Can you call the Arthur's House teleporter code with an inventory item? If so, an item that does that. But if not, a series of "do you want to go to X?" boxes (based on how far you got, of course!) and a Misery flash would be fine with me
13. This is really romhacky but what if one of the weapon's projectiles, when it vanishes (either fizzle out or hit a wall) teleports you to where it was - this could be used in conjunction with those grates in the Core tileset that you can shoot through but not walk through
14. Depending on your placement in the game (what room you are in or what part of the story/event you have triggered) game overs might be able to have pertinent advice put on the "you have died" bit instead of it just always calling the one message every time (like, have the Game Over event query for a variable, and have things like starting a boss fught write to the variable)
15. ZarroTsu already did this but his journal item was a great idea
16. Is it possible to make the Red Crystal orbit other things? Also, I liked how in Ordeal Pillar that was the weak point
17. How to make bosses like Curly be dangerous? Make them the target but put some support in the room with them! If you want to really be mean make the support invincible! I was thinking that this could be used in Jenka's Nightmare for the Red Quote fight where the Red Crystal is an invincible Misery but your main target is Quote (as a Curly imitator) with extra health
18. Also, I'm surprised that no one has made a level where the whole thing is in water physics - if you have the Booster 2.0 it wouldn't be so molasses-y and would put the focus on using jumps to move, aim, and evade
19. We need more challenging Omega fights! Mimiga Army and Jenka's Nightmare made them in too much of a vanilla room :p technically Cave Story 2 achieved this but I do NOT recommend looking to that game for the fun kind of challenging
20. Something like the Monster X Ride in Jenka's Nightmare... but over a pit
21. Monster X but with spikes, small pit openings, or a 1-tile water floor (so it's dangerous to run away from him!)
22. Another Monster X Ride... but instead of riding it over spikes, you ae just tasked to run away from it!
23. I wonder if you can change what enemies spawn from things like Balfrog with exe hacks... Spitting Critters anyone?

I know it may seem obvious from this post, but I really appreciate when things are used unlike how they are in the default game, or put in rooms that make you have to treat them differently!

May 31, 2018 at 12:36 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I think i got a couple:

1. Having a "museum" of bad mod design and how to fix those problems (like showing images from broken mods or items from said mods)
2. A mod that centers around a human soldier fighting for the mimigas at the time of the war

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 2:34 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
To be quite honest there was a reason that Ideas and Development was shut down 3 years ago.

Tux, most of what you said can be done quite easily, I'm sure everything you've said cold be done in a day or two. I would recommend that you do everything in your list as that would give you a good idea as to how to get started at modding.

Well since I'm posting in here I guess I'll throw out some ideas I had but have no intentions of finishing:

Sue's Story

A mod of Ballos' backstory. I had this idea some 5 years ago but didn't have artistic skills or assembly knowledge required to make it happen. It didn'tget very far except I had somewhat of an idea of a renegade band out to save balos while he was tortured by the king, and the idea of how the cutscene of ballos't banashment and the city burning would go.

There was this mod where you played as a white kid named nelson in a world where people with white skin could edit assembly code, and black people could edit levels. Was suppose to be super satirical and a racial innuendo at the same time. Nelson would learn from some dojo dude about the secret of modifying assembly and could teach him the ways.

p364435-0-unknown.png

^this was the dojo teacher guy.

Also the mod started out where I was teaching class (yeah, me.... bootleg young itoh me) And getting after nelson for not focusing on his grades and failing assembly. After school you would go into town and there would be Serri and Miccs in a building and some funny CSMaGL joke is a thing.

The apex of the mod is where I show up and Dojo guys says to let nelson be, but I start level editing using the POWERS OF ASSEMBLY and He says I don't even need TSC anymore and can control too much now. You fight me and the world is saved and the world is no longer racist (hip hip hooray)

The whole idea was to brainwash the masses with this mod and teach the POWERFUL lesson of how assembly and level design are one in the same and making a good CS mod requires both but oh well.

Almost everything else I had reached some sort of demo that was abandoned or I forget about it now lol.
Also oops that got a little longer than expected.

May 31, 2018 at 5:20 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
19. We need more challenging Omega fights! Mimiga Army and Jenka's Nightmare made them in too much of a vanilla room :p technically Cave Story 2 achieved this but I do NOT recommend looking to that game for the fun kind of challenging
There was a second Omega fight in the first stage, but I have no idea on why it doesn't show up.

May 31, 2018 at 9:36 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
WHAT IF THERES THIS mod where you go into space and stuff and you change the gravity to make it seem like space

ACTUALLY THATS A GOOD IDEA im going to use that for a mod that im going to make dont copy please

May 31, 2018 at 10:13 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
2. Put the eye door at the end of the game in an escape sequence

How evil are you...?

1. Santa Story. Maybe Santa goes by Chako's house and drops his key on the way back, or maybe he goes on some extradimensional journey where he saves the multiverse. Perhaps ''Chako's Lipstick" is actually lipstick Santa brought over because he's a crossdresser or something nevermind let's thing of something else

2. Make the noodle entity generator

3. Make an entity that you can summon via item and ride on. Maybe there are more than one and they can get past puzzles. For example, the ones from Oracle of ages/seasons.

4. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

5. Kanpachi Fishing Game. You play as Kanpachi and you fish. There could be a point scoring system for each fish you get.

6. A top down racing game in Cave Story. It wouldn't be that hard. All you need to do is have the player and other entities constantly move upwards (in your case whenever Z is pressed) via ASM and make a really tall map.

7. Lukewarm Fever.

8. Cave Story but you play as Sans Untertale

9. It's a door but when you touch it it tells you to go away so you have to bribe it with dirty magazines or money or something

10. Walrus Story

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:32 AM
How evil are you...?

1. Santa Story. Maybe Santa goes by Chako's house and drops his key on the way back, or maybe he goes on some extradimensional journey where he saves the multiverse. Perhaps ''Chako's Lipstick" is actually lipstick Santa brought over because he's a crossdresser or something nevermind let's thing of something else

2. Make the noodle entity generator

3. Make an entity that you can summon via item and ride on. Maybe there are more than one and they can get past puzzles. For example, the ones from Oracle of ages/seasons.

4. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

5. Kanpachi Fishing Game. You play as Kanpachi and you fish. There could be a point scoring system for each fish you get.

6. A top down racing game in Cave Story. It wouldn't be that hard. All you need to do is have the player and other entities constantly move upwards (in your case whenever Z is pressed) via ASM and make a really tall map.

7. Lukewarm Fever.

8. Cave Story but you play as Sans Untertale

9. It's a door but when you touch it it tells you to go away so you have to bribe it with dirty magazines or money or something

10. Walrus Story
oh i didn't think that was evil i was thinking like "wow its the door at the start of the game and WOW it's at the end as well its like a whole loop around story i did not see that coming i did not think at the very beginning of this mod "hey ill probably see this at the end of the mod" so that's pretty cool!"
get what i mean

also i like #10 idea and some others like 1

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:57 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Maybe, instead of being silent, Quote's dialogue is actually express & not just implicit. It'd be cool if the bosses had dialogue in their boss fights, assuming they can talk [e.g., Balrog taunting you.] Also, the Spur's damage is relevant to how far away it is from the next level [e.g., A Spur at level 2 charge & halfway to max charge is more powerful than a Spur just having reached level 2 charge.]

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:59 AM
Maybe, instead of being silent, Quote's dialogue is actually express & not just implicit. It'd be cool if the bosses had dialogue in their boss fights, assuming they can talk [e.g., Balrog taunting you.] Also, the Spur's damage is relevant to how far away it is from the next level [e.g., A Spur at level 2 charge & halfway to max charge is more powerful than a Spur just having reached level 2 charge.]
so the spur basically has levels 1-3 including decimals that'd be neat but i'd want a level 5 spur
4 would be like a super long 3 beam

and 5 would be just a super long beam of going through walls

AND THEN 6 Would be even stronger and goes through walls
7 would be a super long beam
8 would be level 1 lasers in all directions including one big beam in the regular direction (same as level 7 for that one)
9 would be mega level 7 lasers in all directions
10 would be just 1 super mega beam that covers whichever half of the side of the screen you are facing and jsut destroys everything bad kaboom!
that would be really cool dont you think

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:03 AM
But then there would be no challenge

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:07 AM
Jun 1, 2018 at 6:17 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
it takes a reallllly long time to get to level 10

like a minute

That's missing the point. The point is that a power that great would eliminate all challenge. If you did that, it would just be "hold down x while jumping around a getting hit for a minute". A better idea would be having a spur that only goes up to level six, but you'd need to sacrifice half of your maximum life to get the upgrade

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:00 PM
That's missing the point. The point is that a power that great would eliminate all challenge. If you did that, it would just be "hold down x while jumping around a getting hit for a minute". A better idea would be having a spur that only goes up to level six, but you'd need to sacrifice half of your maximum life to get the upgrade

uh what about if it was one small beam that did 1000 damage
almost enough to destroy ballos phase 2 i think or phase 4 idk which has more health

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:43 AM
There was a second Omega fight in the first stage, but I have no idea on why it doesn't show up.
This is just a hypothetical, but isn't Omega one of the bosses which need the room to be set to accommodate them? I wouldn't be surprised if this means that it can't have more than one of the same special boss, not just different special bosses. Unless I've missed a mod where that does happen.

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:35 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
tl;dr How are you so sure there were two Omegas? Shouldn't they share the same spritesheet, then?
Not unless they're in separate maps, which is what I said in my previous post. I haven't played any older version of JCS2, but the evidence is strong that there was another Omega battle earlier in the mod.
p364519-0-25to9b.png

p364519-1-wr32be.png
Even the boss rooms are in the same position between the first stage and the Sand Zone! (The cursor is on tile 204,0 for reference)
p364519-2-15rvl3.png
Actually, if an English translation were to be made, I feel like Bushlands is the most fitting for that level, since there's no town :p

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:13 AM
A+ for that pic! I had thought you meant there was a second Omega placed in the room where you fought the series of robot battles in the iced-over area, but that said placement flag did not actually spawn it.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:13 PM
Boneless story, where every adjective is replaced with "boneless" & every adverb is replaced with "in a boneless manner."

"The doctor is such a boneless person. He shows up in the village and kidnaps mimiga, at times even killing someone. The doctor-- he killed my boneless brother." :toroko:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 9:08 PM
Cave Story but you can equip Curly's Underwear

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:00 PM
Cave Story but if you get hit by anything you get sent back all the way back to the beginning and there's only the Polar Star

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 3:13 PM
Cave Story if you get hit by anything you get sent back all the way back to the beginning and there's only the Polar Star
Calm down, satan...