(Poll) Favorite Gaming Generation

What is your favorite generation of gaming consoles?

• First Generation (Pre Eight Bit)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Second Generation (Early Eight Bit)

• Third Generation (Late Eight Bit)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Fourth Generation (Sixteen Bit)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Fifth Generation (Beginning of Optical Mediums Becoming Standard)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Sixth Generation (Optical Mediums Become Standard)

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Seventh Generation (Attempts at Motion Gaming)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Eight Generation (Current Gen)

• Total voters
Sep 7, 2015 at 11:03 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
What is your favorite generation of gaming consoles?

Examples of consoles for each generation:

First Generation: Magnavox Oddysey, Atari Home Pong, Nintendo Color TV Games

Second Generation: Atari 2600 & 5200, Magnavox Odyssey 2, GCE Vectrex, Colecovision, Intellivision

Third Generation: Atari 7800 & XEGS, Sega SG-1000 & Master System, Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

Fourth Generation: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), Sega Genesis, NEC Turbo Graphix 16

Fifth Generation: Atari Jaguar, Phillips CDi, 3DO, Sony Playstation, Sega 32X & Saturn, Nintendo 64

Sixth Generation: Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 2, Nintendo Gamecube, Microsoft Xbox

Seventh Generation: Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii

Eighth Generation: Microsoft Xbox One, Sony Playstation 4, Nintendo Wii U

My favorite is the
Sixth Generation. The (Original) Xbox is awesome, the PS2 is the best selling home console of all time (155 million units), Sega went out with a pretty good console, and Nintendo actually used optical media for the Gamecube. (even though the disc were tiny.)

Second generation comes in as a close second for me. The Vectrex was innovative and cool, and the Atari 2600 still has the longest lifespan of a gaming console of all time. (12 years)

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I grew up during the sixth and early seventh generations, so naturally there's going to be some bias when I say seventh is my favorite. I have a lot of great memories playing local and online Halo 3 & Reach, Call of Duty MW2, Black Ops, & MW3, as well as pouring countless hours into the Dead Rising 2 single player. The Wii has wonderful games that I still play to this day, many among my favorites of all-time which include Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Dokapon Kingdom. The PS3, uh... well my brother played Vampire Rain on it once and that was kinda funny.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and a bit of Seventh.

...But, if I had to choose one, the Sixth generation for the legendary GameCube! ^o^

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:34 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The fourth generation gave us Bubsy
the fifth took him back

I think the answer is clear

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:09 AM
War criminal
Ooh, this is a bit of a tough one for me. I started playing home console games at the cusp between the 6th and 7th generations, the time when games were both on the PS2 and PS3. I remember playing my PS2 games in rotation between the PS2 and PS3, before my brothers destroyed the PS2, of course. I'm also fond of games from the third and fourth generations now, though.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:14 AM
Wait a sec, how come the older members started first playing on the newer generation consoles? oWo
(For comparison, my first console was the N64)

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:18 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
because they're fukkn casuals I guess

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:19 AM
War criminal
Wanna play a free for all with items on? I've brought my WiiMote!

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:33 AM
Wanna play a free for all with items on? I've brought my WiiMote!
No items, Fox only, FINAL DESTINATION jk
I've brought my GameCube controller :3

Though I haven't played SSBB for years, my skills have likely degraded to nothingness >.<;
Probably just gimme a good couple hours and I should be set. (And more to go setup the Wii and update the internet connection stuff ^_^' )

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Fourth gen, all the way. Specifically the SNES. Illusion of Time, Alien 3, Terranigma, EVO, Yoshi's Island, Breath of Fire, Harvest Moon, etc. Quality stuff.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:53 AM
Fourth gen, all the way. Specifically the SNES. Illusion of Time, Alien 3, Terranigma, EVO, Yoshi's Island, Breath of Fire, Harvest Moon, etc. Quality stuff.
I would've like to have chosen 4th gen as my favorite, but sadly I only have a couple games for my SNES (Mainly Super Mario World, Gradius III, & F-Zero) compared to my other consoles.

I'd like to go find and buy some of those cartridges online, so do you have anything else worthwhile to check out?

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:11 AM
"Huzzah!"
I like second, third, fourth and seventh. Grew up on seventh (started playing video games much later than other people), but we've got an atari classic thingy (so we play old atari games without the cartridges and stuff), and sega genesis that has basically the same function of that atari thing. And I love playing on a NES every once in a while

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:18 AM
but we've got an atari classic thingy (so we play old atari games without the cartridges and stuff)

I'm assuming you mean the Atari Flashback.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:40 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Okay this is a neat thread and all, but what exactly are you referring to when you say "Optical Medium"? Do you mean "Optical Disc based storage" or something? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to call it the beginning of the 3D era, rather than referring to data storage methods?

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:19 PM
Okay this is a neat thread and all, but what exactly are you referring to when you say "Optical Medium"? Do you mean "Optical Disc based storage" or something? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to call it the beginning of the 3D era, rather than referring to data storage methods?

Uh... Probably

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
You might also want to add some handhelds to the generation to console breakdown.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:00 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I'm gonna wait till electric gaming becomes 100 years old before I decide which generation was the best

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:15 AM
War criminal
So debatably, until 2058, the 100th anniversary of Tennis for Two, one of the first video games that uses a graphical display.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:06 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
So debatably, until 2058, the 100th anniversary of Tennis for Two, one of the first video games that uses a graphical display.
Yes, technically, but no one really gave a crap about video games until the '70s. Just like when Babbage designed one of the first computers, no one cared. When IBM made computers decades later, it became bigger. Or even later: VR technology has been around for years, but only now is it gaining real traction as a practical business.

Thats why the 1st gaming generation is not listed as Tennis for Two.