OrgMaker Video Tutorial

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I recently got a comment on one of my org videos suggesting that I make a tutorial on how to use OrgMaker, and I thought this was a great idea. I never really thought about it until now, but there aren't really any tutorials (to my knowledge) to get someone started on this program. I find video tutorials to be the best kind of tutorial because they're extremely visual and because they're the easiest to pay attention to.

Now, the reason I'm making this thread is because I'm curious to know what to include in this tutorial. Users and non-users of OrgMaker alike, tell me what you think should be included, as I want this to be as in-depth as possible. I have started a list below of what I will be discussing in the video:

-Downloading the most recent version of OrgMaker (v2.05) off of the Tribute Site.
-Saving quirks (for example, how it won't prompt you to save before you exit).
-How to start off. For example, picking the right song to practice transcribing first and a general look at how to transcribe. This section may take the longest, as I think I will have the most to discuss here.
-Overview of "Song Setup" and "Instrument Setup."
-Overview of the "Copy," "Volume," and "Transpose" options.
-A look at the useful features in the "Operations" tab.
-How to operate the three movable bars (the ones that select tracks, mute tracks, and plays the song).
-A quick mention of "Notes Remaining" (although I can't imagine that ever being an issue).
-The keyboard shortcuts that let you switch which track you're focusing on (1-8 for instruments, Q-I for drums)
-When the cursor is over a note, you can make it expand at a fast rate by holding down x, and make it shrink at a fast rate by holding down z
-If the program is encountering an annoying glitch where a note is stuck playing even when you've stopped playing the song, you can make it stop by simply going to Settings -> Song Preferences, and clicking the OK button.
-You can download the Cave Story soundtrack and some other songs in org format from the tribute site.
-How to use Resource Hacker to add orgs into Cave Story.

Useful threads I may discuss and will definitely link to:

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
what about my org2ptcop converter ('.' )

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Noxid said:
what about my org2ptcop converter ('.' )
There are many, many music tools that I am not familiar with. The only ones what I have any experience at all with are the ones that I linked. I'll include the org2ptcop converter, as well as any other converters / tools y'all recommend. I definitely missed out on a few, so if any of you can kindly link me to the ones you feel are necessary, that'd be swell.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Based Member
I think this is a very good idea. I remember coming across some other orgmaker tutorial on Youtube almost two years ago, but I had to play around for a little before I really knew what I was doing. Looks like you've got most of your ideas fleshed out. Here are a couple of things that would be important to mention, if you did not already know or plan on including them:

- The keyboard shortcuts that let you switch which track you're focusing on (1-8 for instruments, Q-I for drums)
- When the cursor is over a note, you can make it expand at a fast rate by holding down x, and make it shrink at a fast rate by holding down z
- If the program is encountering an annoying glitch where a note is stuck playing even when you've stopped playing the song, you can make it stop by simply going to Settings -> Song Preferences, and clicking the ok button.
- You can download the Cave Story soundtrack and some other songs in org format from the tribute site.

Also, one last thing:
Tpcool said:
Useful threads I may discuss and will definitely link to:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/4154/ (I will mention that this program isn't terribly accurate)
FTFY

$50 says DT and Cultr didn't even try the application.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
I remember coming across some other orgmaker tutorial on Youtube almost two years ago, but it didn't give me full instructions.
Really? I tried looking for a tutorial just in case one was already made, but I couldn't seem to find one. I guess I didn't look hard enough.
HaydenStudios said:
- The keyboard shortcuts that let you switch which track you're focusing on (1-8 for instruments, Q-I for drums)
- When the cursor is over a note, you can make it expand at a fast rate by holding down x, and make it shrink at a fast rate by holding down z
- You can download the Cave Story soundtrack and some other songs in org format from the tribute site.
All three of these have been noted, thank you.
HaydenStudios said:
- If the program is encountering an annoying glitch where a note is stuck playing even when you've stopped playing the song, you can make it stop by simply going to Settings -> Song Preferences, and clicking the ok button.
I normally deal with that by letting the song play again until the same pitch note plays again, but I think the way that you're mentioning is better. Noted.
HaydenStudios said:
FTFY
$50 says DT and Cultr didn't even try the application.
lol.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:12 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Tpcool said:
-A quick mention of "Notes Remaining" (although I can't imagine that ever being an issue).
About Notes Remaining -- Experienced OrgMaker users may already know how this works, but to make sure everyone is on the same page...

The Notes Used counts work like this: In each track, any grid step column that has one or more "notations" * in it takes up 1 unit of space. The "notations" that take up space are: the note head at the beginning of a note, a symbol in the Pan graph, or a symbol in the Volume graph. The tail extending out of the note head doesn't take up any extra space.

So in this example:
space-example.png

6 units of space are used:
space-example-highlighted.png

* If I remember my Google Translate work, the original Japanese term was something like "Notations Remaining". When I made my translation of OrgMaker, I thought using the terms "Notes Remaining" and "Notes Used" would be more faithful to the original Japanese. Now I think it might confuse people into thinking it's only counting the notes in the track. Since it's really counting how much "space" the track is using I think it might be clearer if it was called "Space Remaining". I wonder if I should update the translation...

Other possible uses for the Notes Remaining Screen:

When I listen to some of the ORGs people post here, I sometimes look at the Notes Remaining screen to tell which tracks the composition uses. (If you see 0 Notes Used, you know that track is empty.) Then you know which tracks to mute or solo if you want to listen to fewer parts at a time.

I've never done any Cave Story modding. Are the size limits for songs in Cave Story smaller than the limits in OrgMaker, or does a replacement song have to use the same or less space than whatever it's replacing? If so, the Notes Used counters might help you make sure your ORG will fit into Cave Story?

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Even though I got the gist of how to work the program, it's always felt cumbersome to use it.

I'll gladly be waiting for this tutorial to come out.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:10 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Bavi_H said:
I've never done any Cave Story modding. Are the size limits for songs in Cave Story smaller than the limits in OrgMaker, or does a replacement song have to use the same or less space than whatever it's replacing? If so, the Notes Used counters might help you make sure your ORG will fit into Cave Story?[/indent]
There used to be some false assumption about orgmaker sizes messing up your game, but this was in fact due to Sue's Workshop breaking games. Any CE/BL mod won't have this issue.

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM
War criminal
I would be glad when the tutorial comes out. It still feels awkward choosing the right instruments when it comes to making arrangements.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I don't think it's been mentioned, but if you use Org Maker 2.05, make sure you let them know what instruments don't work in Cave Story. (There are some that have been reported to not work with Cave Story) I honestly would also like a older version of Org Maker tutorial, but I haven't been looking for a tutorial in general.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Rubyyoshi said:
I don't think it's been mentioned, but if you use Org Maker 2.05, make sure you let them know what instruments don't work in Cave Story.
Yeah, this will definitely be mentioned. The only Cave Story compatibility issues, from what I understand, deal with the percussion instruments.

Rubyyoshi said:
I honestly would also like a older version of Org Maker tutorial
Why? I thought v2.05 was the most superior version by far.