Opinions on the Wii OST?

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:56 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Yeah, this thread should explain itself. My opinion on the Wii OST is very mixed, but I can say that all of the boss themes (excluding Eyes of Flame) were absolutely ruined, but some of the calmer tracks are downright better than the original, and that's saying something. Also, White isn't on the Wii OST, so it's definitely the worst (white is the best song)

Discussion about the Balanced Album is allowed. I think I'll just say that Mischievous Robot is a banger on that one, and I hate the original.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 10:33 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The problem is that the music was missing several tracks when the Wiiware version first launched, which really left a bad taste in everyone's mouths, even after it got patched. But even after it got patched, it had the underlying issue of most of the tracks being too quiet, and often slowed down, which just didn't fit the tone of the game well at all, especially for people who were used to the original soundtrack.

I won't deny that there are a few gems, though. For example, the "New" version of "Safety" is pretty good.

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:50 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's at least better than the Ridculon soundtrack. Yes, this is a targeted attack to some poor shmuck that happens to read this thread.

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:43 AM
"Huzzah!"
i agree with some of the calmer songs being really good lol, even though a lot of them sound pretty different
back in my senior year of highschool i used to listen to a bunch on repeat as studying/focus music - i think my favourites were living waterway, geothermal, and moonsong (also wind fortress, but that's not ever had a wiiware version!), i wish some of them looped better but they're pretty solid

outside of that, i unironically love wiiware's take on running hell, though i couldn't explain why... it's just something about it makes it possibly my favourite version, next to the CS3D/remastered and original mixes

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:36 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I don't wanna be negative, but I mean...it's the Wii OST, I really don't like it lol. I didn't know Access could get worse, but then WiiWare added a cricket rave in the background and somehow made it worse than terrible. Not to mention that Europe got completely cheated by losing some of the beats that "softened" the really high pitched noises, making European WiiWare Access the worst Cave Story song of all time. I will admit, though, Labyrinth Fight goes hard. It's just so funky in WiiWare. I genuinely pop off hearing it.

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:58 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
European here
I liked the WiiWare OST a lot actually, and I think it suits the game very well unlike later versions that went a lot more 'ravey' on the track (Or at least that's how I remember the Steam/3D and NSW versions being like).
The only real issue I had was that it was a bit on the quiet side which didn't really go that well with the TV I played it on (Where it would sometimes cut off soft noises).
Although looking back upon it now it does feel like some of the instruments in some tracks are a little weird, but I'm not sure in what way and it doesn't put me off too much.
I never liked how LOUD the music used for the channel on the Wii Menu was though.

And damn I don't remember geothermal being as good as it is.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 4:49 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I really love the OST stuff on the Wii. I remember listening to music on the wii weather channel and other channels that were on the Wii. I would often edit out the photos for fun if I had any and played the puzzles while watching the slideshows.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:15 AM
"Huzzah!"
The Wii/New OST is by far my least favorite rendition of the soundtrack. They all sound like watered down versions of the original tracks with instrumentation that sounds like it's from GXSCC.
This version of the ost heavily butchers the impact of many moments in the game.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 1:35 AM
The Wii/New OST is by far my least favorite rendition of the soundtrack. They all sound like watered down versions of the original tracks with instrumentation that sounds like it's from GXSCC.
This version of the ost heavily butchers the impact of many moments in the game.
last battle moment

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:21 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Some tracks can feel pretty underwhelming
I feel like this is partially because the soundtrack overall feels far more gentler than other versions.
I think it still worked out very well for this game but I can imagine some people want more intense/'banging' music.
But I dunno I'm also of the opinion that the NSW soundtrack doesn't sound pleasant. (EDIT: Apparently the NSW port has two new soundtracks? I was referring to the famitracker one)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:11 AM
"Huzzah!"
Not much to say that hasnt already been said, but lets go anyway:

I grew up with the Wii version of Cave Story so in most instances I think the soundtrack is completely fine and has some a few homeruns...a few examples are I absolutely love Mischievious Robot, Pulse, and Moonsong even when compared to the other variations. However even as someone with a bias for the soundtrack I will admit while it does have hits it also has a lot of songs that are just ok or are just not very good in comparison. I think overall the music is good, but any intense music in the original soundtrack I feel has gotten softer, and a great example of this is Oppression.

Oppression in the original hits you hard from the get go and is intense and makes me feel dread. Oppression in the Wii ost in comparison feels much less intense and certainly doesnt make me feel dread, but maybe thats just me. I think in general the Wii ost is strong in the simpler and more calm tracks like Balcony, Moonsong, Pulse, and Mimiga Village (a few exceptions being Mischievious Robot, Labyrinth Fight and Running Hell (kind of)), but honestly as just songs the majority are perfectly fine.

Side note: Hero's End is great and I cant really express my feelings about the song. I dont know what it is but the wii version is my favorite by far they killed that what the hell.

But I dunno I'm also of the opinion that the NSW soundtrack doesn't sound pleasant. (EDIT: Apparently the NSW port has two new soundtracks? I was referring to the famitracker one)

The famitrack ost is for some people. Im not one of them for sure lol.

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:21 AM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
WiiWare was my first exposure to CS and I was wondering why it was just... so quiet... So in the settings I saw something about "Old" and immediately liked how it sounded so I genuinely never bothered with anything else since then. I don't even know how the other renditions sound and the few times that I've heard them I didn't like them for similar negative reasons above.

Dec 22, 2022 at 7:53 PM
ditto to the post above. wiiware demo was my first experience and even then i felt it was lacking
ive always hated gestation. it feels like im walking through a grocery store when its playing
i think some songs such as mimiga town and yamashita farm sound nice. but as mentioned before the calmer songs just sound nice here in general
jenka 2 is the best in the ost in my opinion. it keeps the energy of the original pretty well
i dont have many thoughts on the rest of the songs. theyre just okay

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:12 PM
galactica Online
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
To be honest, the WiiWare OST compositions aren't bad, they add a little twist to the original music, which is nice. The problem for me is, that, in comparison to the original, it's a bit quiet. There are also some tracks that are intense in the original, but in the WiiWare OST, they're on the gentle side a little bit. But, overall, it's not a bad soundtrack.