Opening Zoom

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
I just noticed this in the diary/blog:

"The only problem left for this area is that the opening story zooms into the map at a point that doesn't make sense. I had planned to place something specific there, but it became impossible after rearranging. Reshaper256 is looking into either changing where the camera zooms down, or skipping the map in the opening story altogether."

Here's my notes on it:

Technically it's possible to have the camera start anywhere, and zoom diagonally as well. I never used it in PW because in the end it didn't matter (if you have noticed it the zoom in PW is slightly higher than normal)

zooming screen. (the other values are around there as well, just check those asm code)
0C/EF23 - LDA #$0077 - fixes position
0C/EF35 - LDA #$0060 - fixs scrolling

rooms:
02/C8F9 - zelda prison.
02/C8FB -
02/C8FD - agahnim casting spells room.

With the gravestones, I believe the PW one snaps open too, I believe the animation is based on global coordinates ($20, $22) rather than hardcoded to an area (14 in that case)

Hope it helps.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:46 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
Thanks for the info Euclid, I'll let you know how the problem turns out, when I get to it. School's back, so I'm busy with that right now. Calculus, Statistics, Taxonomy, and two education courses, 5 days a week.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:26 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
Thanks, Euclid! Both these issues were really getting to me, and you've even thrown in the room numbers for the opening! The one that isn't labeled -- that must represent the throne room, right?

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:24 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
Just a thought. Would it be possible to use this "feature" at other times than just in the intro. For example as a cutscene within the game.

Once cool thing would be to show a few glimpses of some of the rooms when link enters a new dunegon.

What do you think?

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
That is a sweet idea. It would add a whole lot of extra umph to the game.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:30 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
Well, is it possible to add this anywhere in the game like I suggested above?

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:09 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
Apologize for the delay in replying, school has got me down, recently. :( Anyway, your idea about cutscenes is something I've put some thought into, although I haven't done much work on it yet. It may be possible, (I love the idea) but I'll have to learn more about the game modes (overworld, dungeon, transitions, start-up, history mode, etc.) to be able to safely switch from one to another.

For example, if I wanted to have a cutscene directly after beating a boss and Link does his little sword spin victory move, but before he exits the dungeon... I'll have to know exactly how these transitions take place, or I might screw everything up by trying to put a cutscene in the middle of it.

Lets say I wanted Link to step on a switch, and that trigger a cutscene of another room in the dungeon being affected... how would I keep up with Link's location in the previous room, and state of the previous room (i.e. sprites that have been killed, objects moved, etc.)? It may be possible, but probably not without some major work.

As I said, I'm kind of down due to school right now, (winter blues, I guess) but this is something I do find most interesting. Only time will tell if it becomes a reality (I wouldn't get my hopes up, btw, I don't want you guys to be disappointed if I can't pull it off.) But this is great brainstorming, and I'll try to be more active in the forum discussions, if I can.

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Has anything happened? This place seems kinda dead.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:16 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
Other than school sort of taking my life over recently, no, nothing's happened to kill the project. It's just that time of year. When summer comes around, there will be a lot more progress. In the mean time, feel free to start new thread topics and such, I'll personally take time to answer any questions and take part in any discussions that are started.

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Reshaper256 said:
Other than school sort of taking my life over recently, no, nothing's happened to kill the project. It's just that time of year. When summer comes around, there will be a lot more progress. In the mean time, feel free to start new thread topics and such, I'll personally take time to answer any questions and take part in any discussions that are started.
Summer for which hemisphere? Summer ended last month ya know. :D

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:15 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
Northern of course. :) You can see my location on the side of my posts, btw. Anyway, just to let you know, I got out my old newsprites.asm document today and poured over it. There's so much there, it'll take me a while to get back in the swing of it. I need to reorganize. :p Anyway, hopefully there will be some more sprites to come into existence in the next few weeks, although I can't say whether GM would let me spoil them on the forums. :)

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:49 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
well make sure that if you design any new monsters that u let me and josh know about it so we can draw some graphics. i been thinkin about new monsters lately but i been busy with school so i havnt thought of anything.

gaaaahhh! someone stole my screen name. i googled myself just for the hell of it, and some vampire guy (i rly think hes a vampire - the only topic he posted in was about drinking blood WTF!!!) in london or something has my name! i hate how some people have to be so unoriginal...

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:11 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
Are you sure you didn't steal his name? :)

I can contact you and Josh concerning monster graphics. Perhaps we can simply do some monster brainstorming, like me and GM did a while back, that'd probably be thet best way to get some life flowing back into sprite creation. Would you two like to chat? I've already got Josh on gmail, but if there's another better place you'd like to, just email me or whatever.

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:09 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
ya ive had this name since last summer and the vampire dude has only shown up on the search for a couple weeks

ya ive been so busy with school its been hard to think (plus i got guitar hero 3 around christmas) i was able to play on expert within a month, and i had never played a GH game before then. I can get 75% on Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce (that song is hands-down the hardest song ever written) so i havnt had any free time to think about monsters. but ya id like to chat about some new monsters - my email is
darkprince909@yahoo.com