"Nothing":An Adventure Beyond Reality

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
So as I scourged YouTube the other day, I happened to find a video showing off a new little game called..."Nothing". Honestly, finding it was a lucky break, since this game is about as mysterious as things on the internet get : I searched the entire internet for a page, any page, that at least mentions the title with Google and found zilch. Likewise for the Forums and YouTube. The video itself was uploaded back in July but has next to no views.

Here's the video:

It has pretty much all the info you need to know, but for those who can't watch it(or are too lazy >_>), the plot is basically that a cute little dog thing wakes up in a cave. It's actually a member of a really old guardian race called the Pohoja, and seeing none of its(his?) kind after waking from the long nap, the guy heads out of the little cave to try to figure out what happened.

Though it sounds similiar to Cave Story, it's really nothing alike. The main character is pretty fast, and mainly attacks the creatures outside with a melee claw swipe. He can also transform into a dragon, which allows him to glide and shoot fireballs, and also a bear of some sorts, focusing on fast, damaging melee attacks.

The Pohoja protagonist can also utilize magic. So far there are around 5 spells, each using up magic and each for different purposes. You don't start out with any of the magic/techniques/transformations, obviously. You'd apparently find these as upgrades, much like Cave Story's weapons and health/missile expansions. I say "apparently" because I haven't actually found any of the things that would grant you these in-game - I found a few suspicious statues, but the game has no "interact" button as far as I've seen :( (No-actually, it's up.) I have found the fruit that grants you more HP, though.(EDIT:This be false, matey-you can find most of these, but they're very well-hidden. More info in the Edits at the bottom.)

Thankfully, this is redundant because "Nothing" has an in-game debug menu of sorts that can give you the upgrades. 'Tis very helpful :D

"Nothing" is still very much a demo, and I have no idea where I can find more info on it. The game has no actual cutscenes and the third form of the doggy thing looks slightly unfinished, plus I haven't found any bosses. Granted, I haven't explored too far yet. On the flip side, the environments are really big, the music is beautiful, and the graphics are very pretty. :o

Here's the description and the download:

PLAY THE DEMO http://www.l-ames.com/logan/no-last.zip

UNDER DEVELOPMENT
———————————

So yeah. This game is a really hidden gem: divine music(though there's not too many songs), awesome graphics, great gameplay (though enemies can be annoying), some really mysterious atmosphere...

And a magical doggy as the main character.(EDIT:Other awesome things include being able to look at the camera, diverse enemies, and shaking off water with the "jump" button, which is super cute). Go play it NAOW. Give some feedback, ya?

EDIT NUMERO DOS: I found after an hour or so of playing, that you CAN interact with those statues. You need a special item to do so. However, I can't find the item itself :/.Found a "Power Spirit" that is rarely dropped by enemies. No idea what it does.

P.S : I'm glad to be the first to bring this to the attentions of the good men, women, teenagers, adults, fantasy creatures, animals, machines, foodstuffs, and objects of the forums. :orangebell:

UPDATE: Encased in a spoiler because, A) I finally figured out how to make those :chin: and B)My god, this post is long enough. >_<

Alright. So as I said on page 2 of this topic, I redacted my statement up there that there are no bosses or abilities to collect. I've found those things on my save file. And since I've been doing a "legit" marathon exploration venture, I've got plenty of stuff to share:

★ You know how you can get Leskin (whatever) blossoms that would give you another magic spell? Well, you can grab more than 1 to upgrade the spell, causing it to use up more mana, but also increasing its attributes( For example, Fire releases more homing balls). Also, Water is not just a utility magic: after pressing "magic" (S by default) to generate the Air Tank-ish water barrier, you can push "Bark" to release a watery blast around you. This is so far the only use for barking besides making the Kitty-dog look cool.

★Speaking of magic, I finally found some for realz: a Fire Blossom somewhere in a lower section of the Hills, if I remember correctly.

★ Found a way to get Bound without cheating. It involves Lotsa maneuvering downwards in Hills to find a Boss: a huge Armadillo thing. It's fairly easy to defeat if you're careful and know what you're doing. After it's defeated, you go up a conveniently appearing set of platforms to reach a fruit that grants you Bound. If you already have Bound when you reach it, though, the game may freeze, so find this without the skill.

★The Tree is HUUUUGE. I have yet to explore it all, but I will soon.

That's about it. Bye~

UPDATE THE SECOND: Kudos to X-Calibar for being a boss and finding all sorts of things,and Anuken for his strange(but useful!)Notepad-Hacking idea.
★More magic facts! We already know that Water Shields can detonate with Bark, but I figured out how to generate the fire shield seen in the trailer! Just press Magic and Bark at the same time to make a useful fire shield. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying: it's kinda iffy.

★I've been annoyed recently with Waterway's lack of passibility, so I got the idea of randomly Notepad hacking in the hopes of making it explorable.

That...didn't work. But it did get me thinking about the many unaccesable test levels, and with some very rudimentary hacking, I've been trying to replace stuff to access the levels. It's been discouraging, but also kinda fun, and it's not like we have any •actual• hackers lining up to help.

★Fun Fact: deleting a level and entering it will leave the protagonist falling in an endless black void, with the boss music playing. Surprising - I thought hills, home cave, or silence would be "default" music.

★There is another section of Home Cave, reachable by utilizing the glide of Form 2. It's pretty standard, with 2 interesting things: a Leskin Magic Fruit that gives 6 mana, and an exit at the bottom that's coded to not let you enter. Here's a list of unenterable exits:

Redirect: Before Ocean Temple, Waterway, Home Cave Upper
Blocked:Shore, Home Cave Lower,

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

"Pohojan Paradise"(ccity in code)

★There's more to Ocean Temple than I thought, but you need to use the Dragon form to progress(hint:Fireballs). Going all the way to the end gets you a very long corridor and a special area that effectively marks the very end of the demo until further notice. Go see for yourself!:awesomeface:

★You can get the Dragon form by defeating a large bird at the top of Tree! We still haven't found a way to get the bear form as of yet...and for that matter, Pohoja Blessing, so you have to use Debug Transform to change back again. >_>

Man I love this game. Every time I go back to it I find something new :awesomeface:

UPDATE: l33t haxor skillz +3!

I've figured out an incredibly easy way to "hack" the game without any arcane resources for the hacking-challenged. Very simplistic, but it gets the job done.

Recommendation:PLAY THE GAME NORMALLY FIRST, UNTIL THE VERY END. "Hacking" might ruin the experience for you.

Epic finds include an early Home Cave, various unfinished maps, and other things. Oh, I'm so proud of myself ^_^
Details here:
So here's the deal. Simply go into the game's data and find "File1/2/3". Open it up with Notepad.

Huzzah! You get an incredibly easy to use - if simplistic - hacking system.
(I recommend using another file for experimentation, by the way. Files can be changed with Config.exe).

The most important field is Map. Look in the Data and you can find internal names for all of the levels. All you have to do is replace the name that's written there with one you want to start in - for example, replace "hmcave-a" with "homecave". Exactly as it's written, mind you, or the poor Kitty-Pup will start in a glitched collisionless area I call the missingno. map. Missingno. will show up in various maps, presumably deleted ones Logan Ames found no more use for. Or maybe I'm just doin' it wrong :p

This, of course, means that we now essentially have a warping ability above even Debug Warp. Just remember to File/Save each edit before starting "Nothing",ya? Here's some of the more interesting maps:

★homecave is the simply-named early version of hmcave-a, the Start Point. Features include a lighter palette, a different layout(notably including no access at all to Home Cave Lower, which may have been accessed through a different area or might not have existed at all), and intact exit data!

★fishtest is kinda bizzare. It's a pretty empty test level,entirely underwater. The most notable feature is the GIGANTIC..."FISH". It's a boss that attacks mostly by ramming into you - it looks like fishtest was made to see if the thing works. It sorta does...the thing is, it never dies even when its health bar empties. The room is inescapable, too, so you'll have to Warp out or reset.

★tree-bug is quite interesting. It might be a test room of sorts, but really I have no idea what it's for ^_^;

It's a room in the Forest with a different palette and a whole bunch of enemies and upgrades. Not all the upgrades and not all the enemies, though, so why bother, especially with the Debug menu? It also has TWO bird bosses, but they're low to the ground and go down easy enough. Strangely they still give you the Dragon TF O.o

★I can't remember exactly which one it is at the moment, but the last Shore level is unused. Go check it out :)

★The Waterway is entirely explorable with hacking! :D

...but it's a wretched hive full of stupidity, just like a water level should be. √_√

★I'll add in others later when I get my hands on "Nothing" again - 2:00 A.M is not the best time for that *-*

You can also edit health and other stats, enable and disable flags, and maybe other things(It's all Geek to me from that point :p ). Have fun, and share anything you find, ya?
Noxid, MagicDoors, and other such Hacking masters reserve full rights to laugh at me for figuring out how to hack-ish "Nothing" with Notepad ;) :p

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
It probably won't be completed? I see a copyright 2005.
Here's the home page...

http://www.l-ames.com/logan/nothing

"Nothing", as it is currently called for lack of an official name, began after I played through Cave Story, and was influenced by the graphical style of the game, of how Pixel achieved such beauty with so few colors. When I first started "Nothing", I had little more planned than the main character (as I had wanted for some time to make a game starring a quadruped) and the first area. The plans for the game have rapidly fleshed out since then, with story progression, multiple areas and paths, and a variety of powerups that allow for further exploration of the game's world.

"Nothing" is an attempt to re-create the kind of exploratory feel once found in old games such as Metroid. I have, so far, created everything in the game myself - from the character, enemies and bosses, to the level tilesets and level layouts and gameplay flow - except for the music, which is kindly being made by Sam Dillard from Gamesare. I have been working on-and-off on this game for a couple of years now, but would love to see it finished, if only I had a little more help.
The downloadable demo plays through the first area. It is a good example of how the game plays, as well as of its direction and feel, but doesn't get to the point where the world really becomes open to the player. Nonetheless, it is completely self-contained and playable.

"Nothing" has also recently been featured on The Independent Gaming Source a reputable website in the indie gaming community.

p163327-0-nothing2020free20indie20game2028529thumb5b15d.jpg

He has created several other games, and worked on at least a DS game according to his resume.
Though it seems he has since dropped off the grid or something, and his website is only partially functional.

If you want to ask him nicely about all the games he's made; if he'll finish Nothing; or want to interview him or something :
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?action=profile;u=916
Contact him there~

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Look at all dem pages with "Nothing" on them...

RRRRRRRRRAAAGGEEEEEE~
GOOGLE YOU HAVE FAILED ME FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!!...

Oh well. You're still better than Bing.

Anyway, at least we know a little more. Thanks, X-Calibar, you're a lifesaver ;)
Where did you get that info from anyway?

I kinda expected it to be abandoned anyway. Its still an awesome game, complete or not :p

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
This looks like a really interesting indie game. I see what they mean by cave story-like. dragon-cats ftw.

Its kinda sad it probably wont be finished. Still is cool.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
CookedChef said:
This looks like a really interesting indie game. I see what they mean by cave story-like. dragon-cats ftw.

Its kinda sad it probably wont be finished. Still is cool.
Hey, even if it's never finished, the demo will remain in a special place in our hearts.

Yes, ya gotta love that little dragon-cat-doggy with magic powers and a surprising amount of personality :orangebell:

Momorin says:

:momo: Fanart NOW.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Polaris said:
Look at all dem pages with "Nothing" on them... RRRRRRRRRAAAGGEEEEEE~ GOOGLE YOU HAVE FAILED ME FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!!... ... Oh well. You're still better than Bing. Anyway, at least we know a little more. Thanks, X-Calibar, you're a lifesaver :p
I just typed in nothing and pressed I'm feeling lucky!
I only use google too xD ... just have to use any key info you find to continue the search~ I've found some very obscure things this way.

If you're asking about the profile page link, I found a game he released in 2011 for a contest, and followed the fourm links until I found his username :D
(It must be him because of the e-mail address, the fact that he posted the game, and that little dragon graphic is in his art style ;D)
Or if you mean his resume, just google his name and maybe a game he's developed.

I actually haven't played it yet... so maybe I'll do that now!

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I actually haven't played it yet... so maybe I'll do that now!

Play it, Excalibur. You won't regret it :mrgreen:

And I just meant the fact that you had any info at all. I'm a terrible topic-starter, showing up with the least amount of info...*shakes head*

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM
LSD
"..."
Big Picture-
diph.php
I beat the demo.
To do this, go right outside the Home Cave to the Hills. Equip Bound and Dash, and jump on top of the overhang going back into the cave. Keep going left and you'll eventually get to a really mountainous region. The highest part you can get to has no portal to the next area, but all of the other 'doors' have the same portal to this red-ish volcanic world.
I have been traversing through the Hills stage, and I have found no way to get directly to the one Boss, but by warping and back tracking, it is possible to get back to the Home Cave.
I also have found no direct way to get to the Waterway other than a Warp. Or the Sand/Shore area.
Amazing graphics. The Cat/Dog/Dragon's sprite moves so fluently that I keep mistaking it for a higher quality.
THANK YOU FOR FINDING THIS

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Big Picture-
[img=[URL="http://www.cavestory.org/diph.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fth03.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2FPRE%2Fi%2F2013%2F022%2F5%2Fa%2Fnothing1_by_neshikuro-d5scfvx.png%5D%5B/spoiler%5DI"]http://www.cavestory.org/diph.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fth03.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2FPRE%2Fi%2F2013%2F022%2F5%2Fa%2Fnothing1_by_neshikuro-d5scfvx.png]
I[/URL] beat the demo.
To do this, go right outside the Home Cave to the Hills. Equip Bound and Dash, and jump on top of the overhang going back into the cave. Keep going left and you'll eventually get to a really mountainous region. The highest part you can get to has no portal to the next area, but all of the other 'doors' have the same portal to this red-ish volcanic world.
I have been traversing through the Hills stage, and I have found no way to get directly to the one Boss, but by warping and back tracking, it is possible to get back to the Home Cave.I also have found no direct way to get to the Waterway other than a Warp. Or the Sand/Shore area.Amazing graphics. The Cat/Dog/Dragon's sprite moves so fluently that I keep mistaking it for a higher quality.THANK YOU FOR FINDING THIS

Ah, yes. I found that debug ending, but didn't tell anyone so they could find it themselves.

The graphics ARE really amazing, aren't they? I found them quite enchanting. And the animation of the Draconian Kitty-Dog's actions are pretty and you just get the feeling that lots of attention was payed to it :heart:

Also, thank you! Excalibur found most of the extra info, but I guess I *did* help out alot by finding it in the first place. It makes me feel so special to share awesome things with you people :mahin:

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
It's a real shame this won't be finished. The graphics and music are amazingly done and it practically looks finished. This had potential to be a really great indie game. :/

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I remember playing this game when it first came out, found it decent. And while I am not a fan of the graphics I do wish it would be finished one day.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Wild Desu said:
It's a real shame this won't be finished. The graphics and music are amazingly done and it practically looks finished. This had potential to be a really great indie game. :/
Yeah, I know...buuuuut. The Creator is still active at that forum thingie Calibar linked to. We could ask, but "Nothing" is probably abandoned anywho :sadcurlyface:

EDIT: WAITWAITWAIT.

That video was uploaded in July,and the description states it's still under development!

There's a small but significant chance that the game is just slow and not dead in the ground! :orangebell:
MetaSeraphim said:
I remember playing this game when it first came out, found it decent. And while I am not a fan of the graphics I do wish it would be finished one day.
Huh. Interesting take.

How did you find the game? And what strikes you as bad about the graphics? :pignon2:

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Indie game enthusiast
EDIT: WAITWAITWAIT.

That video was uploaded in July,and the description states it's still under development!

There's a small but significant chance that the game is just slow and not dead in the ground! :orangebell:
Actually... That video isn't by the creator.

I think this is probably by the creator (It is linked from the official site, and the name of the user is the same as the profile link) :

And on the comments page, the trailer you linked's publisher says :
"Please don't let this project die :| it's too awesome!"

So... maybe the best thing to do... is to message the creator and see if you can convince him to continue; or to take over where he left off~ Or pay him xD (If there were enough fans, they could work together)
In any case, I would love to see the game finished... there's always a chance!

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
X-Calibar said:
Actually... That video isn't by the creator.

I think this is probably by the creator (It is linked from the official site, and the name of the user is the same as the profile link) :
FFFFF-

X Y U SO AWESOME ¶_¶
...Oh well. I'll have to try harder √.√
I think someone else should ask 'im, by the way. I'm too timid and too afraid of annoying people.

Ok...something productive to add...

Ah, yes! I recently went on a legit "Nothing" exploration marathon. Found a few interesting things, and I'll add more later when I get off - er, on - my butt and play some more :p

★There /are/ bosses in the game! I was exploring the "Tree" area (Or was it Forest...?) and happened on a curious skull. I jumped all over it, swat at it, fireballed it, and barked at it, but it did no good, so I called "environmental attribute" and kept on. I found a life fruit in the next room, which is cool beans, right? So I went back...

Huzzah! The skull starts floating in the air, surrounded by dark smoke, and really frenetic boss battle music starts playing.

Obviously I freak out, even more so when the skull crashes through the log floor, causing me to fall to a previously unseen room below. I calm down and start actually fighting the thing, abusing the spin attack and fireballs for massive damage. As it turns out, the skull was actually a shadowy rabbit.

Eventually I defeated it. The smoke left the creature, apparently a normal yellow rabbit which slumped to the ground. Because of the grass, I couldn't see if it disappeared or not, and sadly the boss didn't leave anything behind. Though the music left, the regular slow Home Cave theme didn't come back. I also didn't see if the exits were blocked or not, since I went ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK on the Demon Bunny and didn't even consider running. ^_^'

I'll be on the lookout for other bosses. ;)

★Because of my general inaccuracies when predicting things about the game, I redact my statement that you can't find most items. I probably didn't look hard enough :sun: . I found a strength fruit by navigating to the end of Home Cave, for example. I also found Night Vision in some place I can't recall. I keep finding "magic fruits" that are supposedly tasty. I'd imagine they increase magical power or SOMETHING, since a different fruit gives more MP. The game's still up with the abilities and transformations, though.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

The fruits are one and the same - Lesking magic fruits will only give the "+2 mana" message if the magic counter is activated. I thought the fruit activated your magic, but apparently only the spells themselves will cause that.

★I still don't know what "Power Spirits" do. Anyone willing to give info on this?

...That was long. I'll continue to find more info, 'Kay?

Bye :D

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM
/end
Polaris said:
How did you find the game? And what strikes you as bad about the graphics? :pignon2:
He posted about it once on TIGForums. They just aren't my style.

Polaris said:
FFFFF- X Y U SO AWESOME ¶_¶ ...Oh well. I'll have to try harder √.√
Because he has an actual computer. You can only expect so much from a phone.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I also have found no direct way to get to the Waterway other than a Warp. Or the Sand/Shore area.

Yes, the Waterway is reallllly unfinished. However there are two suspicious Shore exits(both underwater) that are blocked, so the Waterway is probably there.

Shore can be entered through the Tree, at the very end.
Because he has an actual computer. You can only expect so much from a phone.

Hey, you can expect a LOT from a phone-

Just not a Huawei Ascend II. :p

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM
/end
I mean when it comes to searching and such. I've never used a phone for the internet. But I know I had no problem finding everything X said he found within minutes of trying.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:15 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I mean when it comes to searching and such. I've never used a phone for the internet. But I know I had no problem finding everything X said he found within minutes of trying.

When I search for

"Nothing":An Adventure Beyond Reality

, I get the video, this thread, and a bunch of gibberish :(

It's probably because of how simple my search was that I found nothing.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The character sprite seems a lot like the cave story ones.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
The character sprite seems a lot like the cave story ones.

The Creator of the game was inspired by Cave Story. Hence the slight similiarities and whatnot ;)