No background in Wind Fortress?

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:39 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I've seen playthroughs through it, and there's a kind of cloudy background. When I finally beat Ballos, I tried out Wind Fortress... When I came through the door in the Drafty Cave, there was no background. It just had like a black one. Help?

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:56 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
TheDoctor said:
I've seen playthroughs through it, and there's a kind of cloudy background. When I finally beat Ballos, I tried out Wind Fortress... When I came through the door in the Drafty Cave, there was no background. It just had like a black one. Help?
Are you playing the Steam version or the DRM-Free version?

May 1, 2015 at 8:54 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Aar said:
Are you playing the Steam version or the DRM-Free version?

Not sure, because I got it from the Humble Bundle Indie Bundle.

May 1, 2015 at 9:05 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
TheDoctor said:
Not sure, because I got it from the Humble Bundle Indie Bundle.
You'll need to be more specific. Which Humble Indie Bundle?

CaveStory+ was offered both in #4 (launched December 13, 2011) and #7 (launched December 19, 2012).

If you are using the downloadable version, then that's the DRM-free version.
You would have also received a Steam code for it, so that version is used through Steam.

To complicate matters further, we also need to know what operating system you're using. :)

May 1, 2015 at 9:22 AM
q3hardcore said:
You'll need to be more specific. Which Humble Indie Bundle?

CaveStory+ was offered both in #4 (launched December 13, 2011) and #7 (launched December 19, 2012).

If you are using the downloadable version, then that's the DRM-free version.
You would have also received a Steam code for it, so that version is used through Steam.

To complicate matters further, we also need to know what operating system you're using. :)
Righto, so I'm using something called Ubuntu Studio. I believe I got it from the 7th bundle, and I'm not using it through steam. I downloaded it. I think I may have messed something up in the files though, because I often go in there and copy sprites for my gifs.

May 1, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
TheDoctor said:
Righto, so I'm using something called Ubuntu Studio. I believe I got it from the 7th bundle, and I'm not using it through steam. I downloaded it. I think I may have messed something up in the files though, because I often go in there and copy sprites for my gifs.
You can redownload the HiB version as many times as you want. Look through your HiB-related emails, there should be one linking to your games. Just download it, unzip it, and copy the files over your existing copy.

May 1, 2015 at 4:53 PM
andwhyisit said:
You can redownload the HiB version as many times as you want. Look through your HiB-related emails, there should be one linking to your games. Just download it, unzip it, and copy the files over your existing copy.
Problem is, that I don't want to lose my saves and progress...

EDIT: Could someone just send me the whole mod file? (Named Kaze)

May 2, 2015 at 11:51 AM
duncathan said:
There's a pretty good chance your issue is unfixable; the Linux version is full of bugs
And I'm pretty sure it's not a bug.

May 3, 2015 at 12:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
TheDoctor said:
Problem is, that I don't want to lose my saves and progress...
Your saves are in a file called Profile.dat. This file is not created until the first time you save. You should be fine when overwriting files, but if you are really, REALLY worried then make a backup of the file. It isn't rocket science. Or hey, just copy Profile.dat to the directory of your newly downloaded and unzipped CS+ and run that.

May 4, 2015 at 12:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
duncathan said:
*sigh*
TheDoctor said:
I think I may have messed something up in the files though, because I often go in there and copy sprites for my gifs.
That is why.

May 4, 2015 at 1:35 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
andwhyisit said:
It isn't rocket science.
ok, I've seen plenty of people who passed the section of rocket science in their 8th grade science class who still don't know shit about computer files

May 4, 2015 at 3:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Goerge Bobicles said:
ok, I've seen plenty of people who passed the section of rocket science in their 8th grade science class who still don't know shit about computer files
Further proof that copying files on a computer isn't rocket science, else they wouldn't have passed.

May 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM
I can't seem to find it in my emails...

May 6, 2015 at 12:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
TheDoctor said:
I can't seem to find it in my emails...
Search for "humble bundle" in your emails and look for emails with the subject lines "Your Humble Bundle order‏" or "Your Humble Bundle order is ready‏" or something along those lines in the search results.

In future it might be worth getting a HiB account set up so that you don't have to track down emails like this in the future. Also make copies of your CS+ directory the next time you want to mess around with it.