New editor in development

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:25 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi!
Well, I just saw a few minutes ago, that there is already an editor for Cave Story, but I downloaded it, and I think my new one will be a little bit more powerful.

Currently it's able to create/delete maps, modify them and create/modify entities. Also it's able to edit the scripts.

[EDIT]
Download URL:
http://www.devil-studios.de/SWv0_2.zip

Here's a first screenshot of it:
http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/5522/caveeditor7ks.jpg

Features:
- Modify and create tilesets
- Modify and create maps / scripts

Coming next:
- Maybe another scriptlanguage for the scripts
And a whole new feature, because I know how to integrate it:
- Create/Modify NPCs (and their scripts). But this step is a little bit harder!

If someone has ideas or something like that, post them ^^

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:10 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It looks good. Just one thing, though: Is it able to expand levels? For instance, if there's a 40 by 20 level, can more tiles be added around the sides to get a 50 by 60 level or something similar?

Also: Are you able to start the game off at a different position? Will a new game always start at "Start Point", or is that changeable? You might also want something that can control cutscenes and such.

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi!
There's already a way to resize the map. I thought it could be useful : )
And yes, there's even a way to move the start point to anywhere you want.

I think, if I find enough time tomorrow, I will finish the tileset editor and upload the whole editor. Though, I can still continue working on it, while a first version is uploaded :)

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:51 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
ProfEich said:
Hi!
There's already a way to resize the map. I thought it could be useful : )
And yes, there's even a way to move the start point to anywhere you want.

I think, if I find enough time tomorrow, I will finish the tileset editor and upload the whole editor. Though, I can still continue working on it, while a first version is uploaded :)

Well, then, you're already pretty far ahead of Miza. Good job and best of luck with the program.

Jan 8, 2006 at 6:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, here it is: A first release of the editor. I hope it isn't too bad in handling, but if you have ideas how to make it more comfortable, just write it down here.

If you want to help, you could maybe try to add more entries to the NPC.INI. I found no time, yet, to complete it. But this is something, that could be done by nearly everyone.

The next thing, I will add to the editor, is a support to add more maps than 94. This limit is given, because the old game had 94 maps.

Now it's up to you, to write down ideas and wishes for the editor.

Here is the download link:
http://www.devil-studios.de/SWv0_2.zip

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:06 PM
Does this work on Doukutsu version 1.0.0.5? Doesn't seem to work on that version. To load a game, you select doukutsu.exe, right?

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, I only own version 1.0.0.6, so I'm not able to test it on version 1.0.0.5.
But I think it can't work with this version, because I'm changing some parts in the EXE file.
Well, I would need to get a chance to download version 1.0.0.5 to update the editor. Or you have to download version 1.0.0.6 ^^"

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:13 PM
ProfEich said:
Well, I would need to get a chance to download version 1.0.0.5 to update the editor. Or you have to download version 1.0.0.6 ^^"

Dang, is there any other way to get version 1.0.0.6 now that Pixel's site is (for the most part) empty? I think Underdogs has only archived version 1.0.0.5...

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Here, I uploaded the game for you. But I'll try to get the 1.0.0.5 version from somewhere to make the editor support the version.

http://www.devil-studios.de/CaveStory.zip

[Edit]
I just fixed the 1.0.0.5 problem. And new in version 0.2 of the editor is:
- Faster map scrolling (for slower PCs)
- The editor supports more than 95 maps

Jan 11, 2006 at 1:46 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nice Editor !!
look:

Miza - Misery and Sue's Workshop, next thing coming is something like: Momorin's Lab lol ^^.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:21 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Very nice editor, I've fiddled with it for a bit now. There's lots people would be able to do with it already. I only have one gripe with it up to date. In the map editor, it would be nice to be able to select a tile using right-click or perhaps shift or ctrl-click directly on the map as opposed to grabbing it from the tileset. Keep up the great work!

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi!
Thank you! I will add this feature in the next version of the editor.
I hope I can finish it soon. : )

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
ProfEich you are my hero. Thank you very very much. I've been playing with your editor for the past 2 hours and I'm just finishing up my start point. Since I haven't had time to really get to know the program (and since i don't have any knowledge about programing) I'd like to ask some questions about how hard I could theoreticaly edit the game.

I'm not asking HOW to do these things (although in the future I might) but an just wondering are these changes possible.

1) Change weapons statistics. Can you change the number of bullets are allowed on screen at once, the damage and range of shots, or the amount of energy it takes a gun to level up.

2) Bosses: making this change would probably require lots of work, but can you change the way bosses fight? Maybe when pooh black lands from off screen boulders fall down like in the ma pignon fight. Change boss hp, make them immune to specific weapons, or make it so you fight multple bosses at once (balrog clones or something :))

3) Make moving platforms. For fun timing your jump puzzles. (Moving blocks that move all the time, not just when you walk into there path) I suppose more like the elevator in the first missle room, but moving in different directions.

Okay, I can't think of anything else right now.

Jan 28, 2006 at 6:34 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is pretty awesome. However, I've run into a big bad bug. When you increase the size of an area, then shift down the map, then make more level in the new space... If you try to use the vertical scrollbar, the program crashes. I spent the last ~hour making my start point, and I just lost all my work to this.

But yeah, your editor pwns.

Jan 28, 2006 at 7:20 PM
"..."
I got to that problem too. Here is how to get around it.

Have your game ready to shift, then make a copy of it somewhere else. Do the shift you want, save it, then close the window that you made the shift in. Shifting dosn't crash it, but going into "event edit mode" will. Okay, after closing it open it right back up, your shift will be made, but your events will be in crazy seemingly random spots, this is where that save you made comes it. Refer to the save and manualy move all the events to where they belong. It's a pain in the ass, but it's totaly worth it.

Edit:
Oh... Here is a bug I experienced why changing the proporties of tiles. If you go to "tools" then "tileset editor" you can pick any tile and change it to have the proporties of any other tile. You can turn a normal block into water, or turn spikes into solid blocks, you can do alot, its a great system. Some tile sets even have blank tiles that you can use for wind, quite usefull imo. Anyway tho, to the bug. If you change a tile to break away, so that you shoot it then it disapears you would EXPECT that when you shoot it there will be nothing behind it. What actually happens is that when you shoot it whatever tile to the left of it (in the editor) will be whats behind it. So, if there are spikes to the left of the tile that you turn into a break away, then when you shoot the break away there will be spikes behind it!

To get around this just change the left tile into a free, or foreground. Or only make break away's from tiles to the right of nothings. Like the 2nd block on every set.

I still love the hell out of this editor tho :)
You win ProfEich.

Jan 28, 2006 at 8:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You know, that bug could actually be quite useful... You could make star blocks that would turn into water, so you could use them underwater. Or you could have some that would turn into the door tiles and make a door hidden in a bunch of star blocks. The possibilities are endless*.

*Not really.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but the start point always remains the same even if you change it's position. Has anyone else come across this problem? If so, any ideas on how to get it to work?

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:50 PM
"..."
Go to the shelter, on the script event number 500. You will notice that this is the cut scene when you start the game. It ends in "<TRA0013:0091:0010:0008" Which is where you start the game. The "0013" is the zone number, the "0010" is X coordinate, and "0008" is Y coordinate. Change those around and you can start where ever (you probably already knew that, but for other people).

What is the "0091" tho, I have yet go play with those numbers and figure out what they do.

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:38 AM
0091 is the event to start when the next room is loaded. It is almost always, if not always, set to 0090-0094, which are all fade in effects IIRC.

I recommend bookmarking or saving this page. It is a incomplete TSC command list, but it has enough to be very useful for hacking Cave Story.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:33 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've actually been studying and playing around with the TSC commands. As far as I've seen, one could do some pretty heavy event editing. I'm having lots of fun with it right now :p