Music Industry is dead...

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Is it me or is nearly all music nowadays just rip offs or remix's of other songs. Most of the songs in the chharts are just remakes.
I geuss game music is pretty original and can be a lot better than actual music.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
JetHawk95 said:
Is it me or is nearly all music nowadays just rip offs or remix's of other songs. Most of the songs in the chharts are just remakes.
I geuss game music is pretty original and can be a lot better than actual music.

This, except I just think the music is bad. :rolleyes:

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:47 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I rarely can find good bands that are original anymore D:

But that's okay, because video game music suits me just fine :3
Scott Pilgrim OST <3
I'm listening to it right now :rolleyes:

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
What about Slagsmalsklubben, or Machinae Supremacy?

You can find good music, just not from big name american labels.
There's also Poets of the Fall for alternative rock

You could also keep up with the small independent scene. The people who work with pxtone come up with some interesting stuff, either from the english piston source or the japanese pxtone collage.

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
But you're here to fix it, DJ Cory!

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Dec 15, 2010 at 11:39 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Lesse what they ruined..

"I've Had The Time of My Life"
"Hide and Seek"
"Time After Time"
"You Spin Me Right Round"

What else is next?

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I hate when shitty rappers with no talent take a good song from the 70's/80's, add a drum loop to it and "sing" along to it, and think it's a new song. The success rides on the fact that stupid new age listeners don't even realize it's a remix.

Also on topic, I'm really sick of having to put up with the same 5 songs on the radio every single morning.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:55 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yakkers said:
Also on topic, I'm really sick of having to put up with the same 5 songs on the radio every single morning.

This. This is why I can't listen to the radio anymore.

I think radio is killing the music industry, which isn't helped by the fact that I think radio is dying too (although I have no evidence to back up this claim).

But hopefully this will just lead to people having their own distinct tastes, what with the internet enabling people to be exposed to more music. Back in the day, radio was pretty much all they had, wasn't it?

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:47 AM
daughter of chivalry
Yakkers said:
I hate when shitty rappers with no talent take a good song from the 70's/80's, add a drum loop to it and "sing" along to it, and think it's a new song. The success rides on the fact that stupid new age listeners don't even realize it's a remix.

ARGGGH. Yes..

And yeah. I don't ever listen to the radio now. Unless it's the classical station.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:27 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Yakkers said:

I had a friend tell me they liked the massacre of "right round" because the beat was so original. I told them it's origin, and they told me I was wrong.
._.

But I am in a love/hate relationship with your argument.
Since no one at my school besides me has any taste in any mainstream musc released before 1995, I like to think that these artists, although they are shamelessly borrowing beats, allow for my friends with "different" music tastes to enjoy the melodies I know, even if they make me want to break their iPods.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
WD said:
"Time After Time"
Wait do you mean the Novaspace remix or was it done again more recently?

And yeah the quality of the music on the radio has seriously declined since around 2008. The main reason for this I think is because music downloading and sharing became so popular, and so the big music companies are now just flogging the shit out of anything that is currently selling. Unfortunately this largely consists of urban/rap, appallingly bad dance music and girly pop.

I could get reeaally cynical about it but last time I was consistently listening to the radio it was actually starting to get better so I'll wait and see.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM
daughter of chivalry
The most recent one with the uber cool mad rap beatz dawg.

Feh.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:23 PM
daughter of chivalry
Those are some sick-ass beats dawg.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Logic would suggest for me to hate a song such as that, but fuck my ass man I still love it.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:06 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
The music industry itself won't die until it stops turning a profit. Chances are the "industry" itself will never die. The fact that I can't stand most popular music these days is unfortunately not related to their sales.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:00 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I generally avoid the mainstream in music these days. I find that most of it is either, borderline monotone droning with an added beat or just completely uninspiring. Most of the music I listen to is either somewhat less mainstream or fairly old.

I think a lot of older songs seem to age better as well. Most pop songs seem to last a month or two on the charts and are simply forgotten.

Usually I'm not so open about these opinions, because I imagine that the vast majority of people would refer to someone who doesn't like mainstream music as an "Indie" Wanker or something. I don't think that's quite fair. It is, however, fair to say that to someone who listens to non-mainstream music because they think it's 'cool' or 'hip' and whatnot. I avoid listening to pop music because it's shit.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:56 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
what's "radio"?
i have full discographies of like four good bands (Disturbed, System of a Down, Metallica, and The Cranberries). the rest is a few misc. albums and a whole lot of VGM ranging from chiptune to CS to Iji to Metroid to Eversion to other stuff and a few indie songs