Modding Software Question? Tutorial Website

Modding Software Recommendation For Beginner Tutorial Website?

• Booster's Lab

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Cave Editor

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Sue's Workshop (.PBM)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sue's Workshop (.BMP)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 18, 2014 at 4:35 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hey everyone.

Update. The cave story tutorial website is coming along nicely.
Unfortunately, by updating my PC to Java 7 Update 71, Booster's Lab no longer works for me. :mad:
So using that software as a guide on my website is off the table until it can be fixed.

I am at the point where I want to direct the user to download the game modding software, and here is where I want people's input.

Due to sheer time constraints ( I work full time) when building this tutorial website, I cannot create a step by step modding guide with detailed step-by-step screenshots for each different modding program (Cave Editor, Sue's Workshop, and Booster's Lab). Thus, I want everyone's input as to what modding software you feel would be the best choice to use for demonstration purposes (easy to understand interface, lack of bugs, cross compatibility running on Mac using WINE) for a complete beginner to CS modding.

The 3 contenders are:

• Cave Editor
(my personal preference, because it is featured on this website and there is only 1 version)

• Sue's Workshop
(I used this editor when I made my 3 mods, but I don't like the fact that there are 2 versions [for the .PBM and .BMP artwork] which I feel is confusing to new people)

• Booster's Lab
(I dislike the fact that is seems I need to use command line to run it, which I need instructions on, but I like it's GUI a lot)

Final Notes: I'm gearing this website towards people who have a limited background with computers (lots of pictures). Thus, think about which editor you could explain best to your parents or grandparents. (Although, the type of audience to use this website most likely would be relatively tech-savvy, it never hurts to be thorough.

Thanks for providing your input!
It really does help! :mrgreen:

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:21 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Okay first of all
Don't use Sue's Workshop EVER

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:39 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
you don't need to use command line to run BL just double-click the JAR
I don't understand how people can screw up installing java so badly that this doesn't work

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:04 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
CE is nice and easy to use but it has some bugs and it just generally needs more work done on it

BL is also nice but not that easy. It's like the medium difficulty of modding. But then again it is both recent and is still being developed, which we can not say about CE.

I have never worked with SW but I guess it's not nice?

So basically it's a matter of preference.
I go with CE cause again easy to use, but that's also because I'm a scrub so I don't really matter.
thatsallihavetosayonthematter

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Only the Japanese modders still bother with Sue's Workshop. For the rest of us we made a thread about depreciating it. I removed it from the CS Deluxe package and moved it to the "defunct tools" page of the site. Every single SW related question is met with a resounding "Don't Use SW". Your poll has two options for SW, and neither has a single vote between them. All of this is because SW is the most antiquated and unstable of all three editors. SW is to CE and BL like Miza was to SW.

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM
"Huzzah!"
Always used CE, and had a few bugs along the way
(ex:CEwouldn'tletmeeditthemapdataevenafterremovingPixel'scopyrightonthegamewhichhadmereinstallthegametotryitagaingoshdarnit!)
Never used BL but maybe I should try it out to see which one's better in my opinion

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
I use Cave Editor, since DON'T USE SUES WORKSHOP.

Oh and booster's lab is good too.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
My main is BL, but CE is used on occasion for its ASM features.

Booster's Lab I feel has an easy-use interface (once you understand it, which I don't think is that hard), with a lot of small little functions (like automatically writing a <TRA or <CMP coordinate by right-clicking the tile-spot). Plus it can do small stuff like displaying entity graphics in the editor the best it can and having all the ANP states that are currently recorded in the help section. Cave Editor might have some of these features too but I haven't seen them in my use.

The only reason I open my Mods in CaveEditor is when I want to edit the "Game Settings" and "Bullet Data", along with doing stuff like changing the save file. I use it as an external tool pretty much.

Sue's Workshop is outdated and contains critical bugs/limits.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:25 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ok
what if I finally add in the hackinator this weekend so you can do the bullet data and starting map stuff

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:35 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Noxid said:
ok
what if I finally add in the hackinator this weekend so you can do the bullet data and starting map stuff
Can you also make it work?
Any version of BL that I have tried past 0.2.4.0 (which isn't that good compared to CE) had something wrong with it that prevented me from using it. I believe that this problem affects others too and not just me but I don't want to speak for everyone. I think I may have discussed this with you on the main thread at one point. I can be more specific if you really care to fix it, so if improvements like that are made than it'll probably be the definitive editor.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Tpcool said:
Any version of BL that I have tried past 0.2.4.0 (which isn't that good compared to CE) had something wrong with it that prevented me from using it.
Same with me, except that v0.2.5.1 is where I'm at.

Everything was off on the next update after that.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ok, I'm feeling uncharacteristically motivated so I will work on BL for all of today and maybe tomorrow

If you have a problem getting it to run, please come to the IRC so I can ask you questions about it.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM
scrungy
There appears to be a bug in the latest version which doesn't allow me to save anything and will not warn me about saving.
I've been using 0.2.5.1 for the past [whatever] and it seems to work for me

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
man I can't do live feedback on a forum thread it's just not gonna work out

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:48 PM
scrungy
Noxid said:
man I can't do live feedback on a forum thread it's just not gonna work out

After I posted my response, I saw that more posts were made before it

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:40 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I'm using BL V0.3.3.5 and nothing appears to be amiss so I don't know what is wrong with all of you

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:32 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
back before I semi-retired from modding, I was using BL 3.3.5 without any issues outside the 102 + map thing and the random .pxa deletion.

And the hackinator more than makes up for it.

(speaking of it, I'm working on making some custom hacks compatible with it)