Modding on a mac

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:00 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hi Im new to the forums and I need help. Im not sure if Im posting in the wrong section but forgive me if I am. So I mod cave story on a mac, using crossover and wine (allow you to use windows programs on mac), and I can mod everything else just fine but when I try to use cave editor on pbm editing everything is black. I have tryed re-downloading everything and paint doesnt work with crossover, Im pretty sure its worked before so Im hoping someone on the forum might know about this problem ( Even though I know most users use windows or linux). Because everything else I do fine

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:37 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The only thing I can think of is to make sure all the bitmaps are 8-bit (indexed)
Or did they have to be truecolour? I don't even remember.
Anyway I don't have a mac so I have no way of finding out.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:26 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well right now Im kinda trying to find some alternative that could work for pbm editing, just anything, I'll try it!

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Rename the files to bitmaps (it's an option in CE) and any standard image editor should work.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:57 AM
"Huzzah!"
I think PBM is an actual image format. Some programs, like Paint Shop Pro, spit the dummy because it isn't expecting bitmap data. My guess is that your mac is expecting something else.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:05 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
PBM does stand for Portable Bitmap but if he's using WINE then it shouldn't cause such problems because when the file is loaded into memory by the pseudo-windows-core-library it shouldn't matter what the source was or was called.

I would give more reasons why I think that's wrong but I can't think while listening to videos

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Rename to .bmp, edit, save as 8-bit (24-bit pbms tend to break things), rename to .pbm, and add (c)Pixel at the end of the file with a hex editor.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:29 AM
Do I just put 8bit as an extension? Because its not on the list of things to save as

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:33 AM
"Huzzah!"
8 bit equals 256 colours. Most decent image editing programs allow you to change colour depth.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Rename to .bmp, edit, save as 8-bit (24-bit pbms tend to break things), rename to .pbm, and add (c)Pixel at the end of the file with a hex editor.
Pixel actually uses 4-bit bitmaps for most of his pbms (16 colors). And I've never seen any adverse effects from using 24-bit bitmaps for the pbms, aside from the total file size increasing.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Pixel actually uses 4-bit bitmaps for most of his pbms (16 colors). And I've never seen any adverse effects from using 24-bit bitmaps for the pbms, aside from the total file size increasing.
Wine's implementation of DirectX isn't quite all there.
Cultr had similar issues with my mod and we divined that was the cause of the problem.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Most CS ports don't implement support for any colour depth greater than 8 since there is never a need to implement it.

Pixel uses 8-bit pbms as well, I am pretty sure that the facepics are 8-bit fo instance.