Mobile Gaming

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:14 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Well the title of the thread says it all. In here we will discuss mobile games or recommend them.

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM
Member Title
Eh, I don't really like the direction where mobile gaming is headed. GBA is where it's at for me.

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM
Yeah... While im posting i'd like to shed light on the zenonia series. Its a series of action rpgs made in korea with a retro style. surprisingly the first one was ported to the dsi (sold on wiiware), psp (sold on the minis section), The android market and the Appstore. However the second and third are exclusive to the appstore and the android market. the first and second cost 0.99 on the appstore and the android market however the third is free of charge. They're not as good as secret of mana or the such but its worth giving them a try.

The third game zenonia 3, like most of its kind tries to get you to use usd in the form of the origins of life. Items wich revive you with no penalty. in Zenonia and Zenonia 2 you could buy them using gold (in game currency) however for the third they cost 0.99 a pop.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah I completed all the Zenonia games on my iPhone a while ago, they're definitely worth the nominal fee they charge you.
Minecraft PE is now out for iOS (been on Android for longer), I'd get it if I were you.
Also, to iOS users, I recommend RAGE, a rail shooter made by the people who made RAGE for Xbox360, significantly before the console version was released.
Then there's Plants Vs. Zombies (duh) and Infinity Blade, both are worth the money you spend on them.
My friend has an Android phone, and from what I've heard, the game selection is small and contains either terrible, poorly made games, or a handful if games that were popular enough on the iPhone to warrant a port.
Part of the reason I'm not writing this message on a Droid...

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I'd recommend playing GBA roms on a smartphone. I've been doing Final Fantasy 1 like this for a while

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:43 PM
I snooped around the internet a few months back and found that alot of people recommend the emulators made by a guy called yonghz (android emulator guru) sadly he was forced to take them out of the market so you have to download them from his webpage: https://slideme.org/user/yongzh

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM
Been here way too long...
There's this indie game called Rockfish coming out for iOS soon, but it's by a pretty underground developer, you probably haven't heard of him.

And Cave Story, if you don't like where mobile gaming is going, better hide under the covers because it's not going anywhere. I believe that a larger and larger portion of the gaming market is going to be mobile.

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM
I'll be honest. To me mobile gaming is going to stay the same as it is now. It may get bigger, but i dont think it will occupy a large chunk of the gaming market. Sure it has potential with games like zenonia,wild frontier,vector tanks, pico pico games,dropship,etc. But even with those games you still have to admit that a large chunk of the mobile games are either games that cost 99 cents but arent really worth anything at all,games that are addicting for a while but get old quickly, Ports of retro games or modern games that are most likely better on the original console (The port of the anniversary edition of FF lags in one town) or flash games that i could play for free on kongregate or newgrounds. And im noticing that some of the best games on the appstore are free (zenonia 3, wild frontier, vector tanks, pico pico games, dropship,pew pew,pico pico fighters,etc).

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
World of silence, creepin' sightless time
Port of sadness, sleepin' fightless mind
World of silence, blinkin' farthest light
Road of brightness, I will get there
And shinin', shinin', shinin', shinin', shinin'
Shinin', shinin', shinin', shinin', shinin', shinin'...

Seriously, if you didn't recognized the song above, you need to play Lumines, stat. Best time-consuming, tetris-esque game I've came in contact so far.

...And yeah, I'm talking about the mobile version. That game isn't PSP exclusive, you know :mad:

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I was just about to make a thread discussing about Angry Birds D:

So, anyway, I don;t think you are being specific about what type of mobile games. Are we talking about the iPhone? PSP? 3DS?

Anyways, I can recommend some games on the iOS (even though I hate what it has come to now).
1. Rolando and Rolando 2 (that was when you could get an excellent app for $10)
2. Doom (which is probably the best non-source port of Doom that exists)
3.Frotz (emulator for z-machine games like Zork. Has Dropbox save support, in-app notepad, and other goodies)
4.100 Rogues (roguelike for iOS. Has animated sprites and is very user-friendly)
5. iDOS (DOS emulator based off of Dosbox. No longer available in the Appstore)
6.Chaos Rings (3D JRPG. Pretty repetitive and has easy bass fights if you know what you're doing)
Edit: 7. Dropship (This was when ngmoco made good games instead of the freemium crap they do now.)

I have enjoyed Zenonia a bit, but I don't think its the best game in the world.
Maga Man II is a good port, but it does not have expert mode.
Duke Nukem 3D is a good port of the BUILD engine, but the controls are extreemly flawed and need to be polished. Also, the music is nonexistant, and it does not have the all 4 levels found in the Atomic Edition.

I hate what the AppStore has come to with all of the shovelware and Angry Birds, but I have to deal with it. The Crap to Excellent ratio is too high, in my opinion.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
I dont think you are being specific about what type of mobile games. Are we talking about the iPhone? PSP? 3DS?

Arent the PSP and 3DS portables?

And actually i have a question to make. I am soon going to get a 15$ gift card for my ipod touch (8 gb, 4th gen),and i was wondering. Should i get minecraft pocket edition or infinity blade?

edit: I have decided to buy both leaving myself with 2.02. What should i do with that remaining money?

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I really think my $15 was worth it, I got FFI and FFII. I really enjoy em!

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Yeah i got them a long time ago. But i had been playing the gba port so i got bored as soon as i beat FF 1.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:09 PM
Been here way too long...
Omega said:
But even with those games you still have to admit that a large chunk of the mobile games are either games that cost 99 cents but arent really worth anything at all,games that are addicting for a while but get old quickly

I don't think you understand how much money people make off of this stuff. Ever heard of Angry Birds? Yes you have because the creators are rich now. "Those games are stupid" isn't an argument, if people can make money off of stupid games, stupid games will be cranked out. Industry is driven by money, so mobile games are going to keep getting more popular. If you don't like that being considered part of the gaming industry, then tough titties. Have fun pretending it's still 2000.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:12 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Honestly, those are the games I try to avoid on my phone. I prefer more fully developed games (the ones mentioned before)
I think the reason none of my friends like Angry Birds is because we had out fill of slingshot flash games when we were in 5th grade :eek:

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Offensive User
cultr1 said:
I think the reason none of my friends like Angry Birds is because we had out fill of slingshot flash games when we were in 5th grade :eek:
I can't tell you how lucky you are. Just about everyone in my school loves Angry Birds, and I never understood why they enjoy it so much. Seriously, that game dulled me faster than CoD 3 (which is another game that I dislike).

Also Omega, buy Rolando. That is possibly one of the best games I have played for the iPhone in it's lifetime so far. It was originally $10, but the publishered decided to bring down the price to $1 several months ago. It has the polish, the challenge, and the charm that composes a good game.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM
Thankfully gaming isnt as popular on my school. But if you ask a guy with a ps3/xbox360 what his favorite game is. You can safely bet he will say cod is. Most of the time they will also refer to them as "that game where you're looking at that guy",etc.

EDIT:So rolando is a puzzle game. Hopefully i'll like it. Not really a fan of puzzles games (except for tetris). But i'll try it,after all ill still have $1.03 left.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM
Offensive User
I edited my post while you were making your post D:

Also, I still think that you should put Frotz on there, just to change things up a bit.
Or..
You could wait until Rockfish comes out and instantly pay for that.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM
Well the way i see it i'd have the following choices:

1. Buy Frotz

2. Wait and buy rockfish.

3. Buy dlc pack 4 for infinity blade.

4.Wait for possibly months to buy Zenonia 4 (link to trailer and more screenshots)

EDIT: I just cant hold it any longer.

p141811-0-about0101.jpg

That promo art is giving me so many questions.

Could the protagonist (judging from screenshots)/guy holding the sword Be Chael?
And that women to HIS left could that be Celine?
And what about the guy to his left. Who could he be?
And to his right. Could the blonde woman be Ecne? And the guy at the top. Could he be Morpice?
And in the trailer we see the protagonist transform into some kind of a mysterius,somewhat devilish form. supposing its Chael. Could that mean that he got cursed by the devil tribe or something?