Minimal Items Run- A Few Questions

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:29 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay, I was reluctant to make this thread, but I have searched with my settings on show threads from all time, and I am planning a Minimal Items run of my own, which is why I ask these questions.

Question #1: What are the requirements for a "Minimal Items" run? I know this sounds kind of a lame question, but all I have found is getting the Alien Medal is allowed.

Question #2: Does a minimal items run have to be a 3hp run? Not that it matters to me, because I am playing Hard Mode on CS+, but this could be useful to others. I don't know why somebody would want to do that, but...

Question #3: Okay, I lied(partly), I didn't search this one. It's not exactly for Minimal Items runs either, I just wanted to know. What are the differences in Hard Mode other than it being a 3hp run, you don't get the missile launcher, and your sprite is different?

Question #4: Why is there not already a requirement list for Minimal Items runs? I mean, really? Is there some sort of unwritten rule I am unaware of?

That's it.
Also, thanks for taking the time to read these, and hopefully answer them.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:50 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well, since life capsules are items... that basically tells you the answer to all of your questions.

1. You cannot pick anything extra up. This includes the rocket launcher, the bubbler, and any heart capsule, which, as I mentioned above, is an item. It still is possible to get the Alien Medal with the very little items you have.
2. Yes. Did life capsules somehow not become items after some 150 characters?
3. None, other than the Steam achievement.
Nonono wait. There is one life capsule available near the end, but you would miss out on a good opportunity to get two more achievements (read:Unstoppable)
4. It all boils down to common sense, actually.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:56 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Thanks, but you still didn't exactly answer my first question. You say I cannot pick up anything extra. I am asking for a list of what you cannot pick up. But thank you again for your answers to the last three!

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
Thanks, but you still didn't exactly answer my first question. You say I cannot pick up anything extra. I am asking for a list of what you cannot pick up. But thank you again for your answers to the last three!

If you're doing a minimal items run then you cannot pick up anything the game does not force you to pick up.

The Alien medal is sort of an exception, since in order to finish the fight with 3hp you have to take no damage, so the game does force you to take it.

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
What you want a list? I thought my answer was simple enough.

Polar Star
Fireball
Blade
NO missile launcher
NO machine gun
NO snake
NO spur
NO.... you get the point

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:02 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I don't see what's so hard to understand about "don't pick up anything unless the game forces you to progress on".

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:12 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
What you want a list? I thought my answer was simple enough.

Polar Star
Fireball
Blade
NO missile launcher
NO machine gun
NO snake
NO spur
NO.... you get the point

The Fireball is optional, too.

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:16 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
What? I thought Chaco doesn't tell you about the Jellies unless you have the Fireball. Also, would it really matter in a Minimal Items run such as this to get the pointless items such as the lipstick and the panties?

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:20 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Mr.Traveler said:
The Fireball is optional, too.
Not optional, it's required, unless they made it optional in Cave Story Plus (or by the glitch in the original Cave Story).
Dunc2403 said:
Also, would it really matter in a Minimal Items run such as this to get the pointless items such as the lipstick and the panties?
Well, it's called minimal items for a reason >_>
Just skip 'em.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:01 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Actually, tpcool, if you preform a very difficult glitch, you can go over chacos house the first time. I believe the thread where it was first showed is here somewhere, just search for it.

Edit: It is called Cave Story TAS. And this is an actual glitch.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:22 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
windsofwinds said:
Actually, tpcool, if you preform a very difficult glitch, you can go over chacos house the first time. I believe the thread where it was first showed is here somewhere, just search for it.

If you do that you just end up breaking your save since you need the jelly fish juice, and in order for the jelly fish to spawn you have to talk to chaco after getting the fireball from santa. If you don't get the fireball then you can't get the juice, which is needed in order to make the bomb to free kazuma.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:25 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
You forget that you can turn on the fans after you battle barlog, so you could just fly over and get it and fly back. I thought you would have known. So it would mean - 1 required jelly fish juice AND the fireball. I think you could just leave without the Blade too.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:31 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Tpcool said:
(or by the glitch in the original Cave Story).

windsofwinds said:
Actually, tpcool, if you preform a very difficult glitch, you can go over chacos house the first time.

:p

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:36 AM
Discord Group Moderator
I know. But speedrunners and people who like doing this might appricaite the advice. For example, a lot of people like the WD Item glitch in final fantasy VII.

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:00 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
windsofwinds said:
You forget that you can turn on the fans after you battle barlog, so you could just fly over and get it and fly back. I thought you would have known. So it would mean - 1 required jelly fish juice AND the fireball. I think you could just leave without the Blade too.

No but after you turn on the fans Santa won't give you the fireball. That's why everything breaks.

Try it.

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:11 AM
Discord Group Moderator
How so. And isn't getting a few a many item a must in Min. Runs?

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
windsofwinds said:
How so. And isn't getting a few a many item a must in Min. Runs?

A flag is tripped so that he won't have that conversation with you anymore. It's just how the game works.

And there's no point in a Min items run if you can't beat the game.

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:18 AM
Discord Group Moderator
Derp. You win this time. I shall win next time! And now I see the sunny picture. Thanks for ruining my fun. You higher ups seem to do this as a hobby.