Metroid Fusion: The Sa-X change of heart

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:33 AM
Neophyte Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2008 at 7:10 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The SA-X's natural enemy is the metroid (as is mentionned at some point in-game.) I think the game even mentions that they're the only threat to the SA-X other than cold. Also, at this point, the metroid species is supposed to be extinct. This is later revealed to be wrong, as the galactic federation has been raising them in secret onboard the space station.

It seems that after doing some skulking around, the SA-X discovered this and worked towards gaining access to that part of the space station in order to dispose of the last existing metroids. Much of the sabotage around the station is likely to be either to goad Samus into releasing locks to give them access to deeper parts of the station, or to be attempts at destroying the metroids (possibly along with the station.)

The SA-X is not an organism concerned with self-preservation so much as preservation of the species as a whole if it is willing to blow itself up to take out the one real threat to its race. Two, actually: Samus being the other. Blowing up the station would be just great as it'd take care of her as well. When the SA-X finds its attempts constantly frustrated by Samus, but gains access to the metroid sector, it attempts to destroy the metroids itself.

It's probably around this point that the Omega Metroid got released.

The SA-X intercepts Samus as she leaves the control room at the end because right now, while the Omega Metroid is a very dangerous threat, the station exploding is a threat to all SA-X. It fails, however. Luckily for it, Samus runs into the Omega Metroid as she's escaping. The SA-X probably figures it can destroy the last metroid and gambles on other SA-Xes surviving.

In the end, really, the SA-X succeeded in doing what it set it out to do. Unfortunately its species was wiped out shortly after.

Samus is hardly the ultimate threat to them. Sure, the computer tells her that, but what does it know? A one-on-one fight with just a single SA-X took quite a bit of effort (for the average player - this IS the last boss after all) so picture what only a handfull of them could do to her? Samus is a threat, but one they could've dealt with in time had the species not been wiped out.

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
JacobX891 said:
So... If you've played Metroid Fusion, like you should, then good for you keep reading. If you haven't, fuck you, go download and/or buy it.

So I'm assuming that now you have seen the ending and shit for MF.

So why did the Sa-X decide to help Samus? Perhaps it was because it saw the Omega Metroid as a threat to the X. But I don't think that's it. You see, if that were it, I think more than one of the several Sa-X's would have gone after it. As Adam-incarnate-computer said, there were at least 10. But no. Instead, the already defeated and weakened Sa-X decided to go it alone, and when it failed, merged with Samus, the ultimate threat to the X. Why is this? I don't know. Maybe you do.
POST!
The SA-X didn't decide to help Samus. If you paid attention you will remember that the natural predator of the X lifeform is the metroid. I thought that the SA-X was helping Samus but I figured out that it was attacking the metroid because it was a threat to its own existence and that of its species (just like the attack on the baby metroids). The SA-X when defeated was returned to its most basic state. Like any other X lifeform it was absorbed by Samus. To the SA-X the ultimate threat isn't Samus, it is the metroids.

Also I bought Metroid Fusion and have fully played it more than once.

EDIT: Noooooo! Runelancer got there before me.

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:48 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
JacobX891 said:
lol I've only played it once and got 4:00 and 48% LOL :( :)

Even I did not foresee that you were that mentally defective.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:15 AM
The Bartender
Nightware was a real pain in the ass the first time around for me too, lol. Once you figure out how he works though, he's got an easy (if annoying) pattern to follow.

One thing I'm curious about is why the critters you rescued from Super Metroid don't get infected. They're no better protected than anyone else (in fact, the SA-X finds very clever ways to get to stuff far better protected than them) but they're the only living things in the station, aside from Samus (for obvious reasons), not to have been infected. Even after running out of their pen and, presumably, all the way to Samus' ship.

For that matter, why did the federation even think doing what they intended would be a good idea? They know the SA-X infects even through something as defensive as a power suit, and intend to send humans to go pick it up? If they want the SA-X, surely they'd have worked out a much less idiotic solution...

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:57 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
RuneLancer said:
For that matter, why did the federation even think doing what they intended would be a good idea? They know the SA-X infects even through something as defensive as a power suit, and intend to send humans to go pick it up? If they want the SA-X, surely they'd have worked out a much less idiotic solution...
Even the smartest person in the world can have shitty common sense.

Also the Federation can only see the possibilities and blind themselves to the consequences.

Also no-one knew that samus' suit was semi-biological.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:16 AM
The Bartender
That sounds like a good plan, but there are two problems.

1- The space station has been around for a while. The SA-X was discovered when it attacked Samus. Shortly afterwards, her suit was sent to the station. Not very long after her recovery, the SA-X from the biological parts of her suit destroys part of the station and Samus is sent to investigate. That's way too little time to set up the station to mimic the metroids' habitat and raise a few to maturity (unless the federation lied about this and has been raising them in secret for a while before the whole SA-X incident.)

2- They're being VERY secretive about it and are trying quite hard to keep Samus out of that area. In fact, there's a lot of tension when she still manages to make her way to the metroid area and confronts them about it. If they've got nothing but good intentions, why would they be so secretive? Especially to someone who, firsthand, experienced the ravages of the SA-X virus?

Add in them wanting to come and pick up the SA-X to study it instead of destroying it completely and preventing any further possible infections, and one can't help but wonder what's in the federation's agenda. (Keep in mind that all things living evolve and adapt over time; the virus would eventually mutate to bypass the vaccine and all hell would break loose. If the federation is planning on using the virus for good, they should know this much at least, and the dangers/costs/difficulty of keeping up with a mutating virus on the loose in the entire population of the populated universe. Also keep in mind that the virus mutates frequently through the game to adapt to its environment - the blue ones that freeze you, for instance - making it likely to quickly end up mutating enough to infect vaccinated people.)

The little "hidden" sequence you can see if you take the hard route out of some area and skip the ice missile is pretty interesting, too. I forgot exactly what causes it to happen, but
you are treated to a cut-scene of some federate guy and the computer congratulating the player and joking about revealing their master plan to you for making it through such a difficult route
One can only wonder what that's about.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
RuneLancer said:
(unless the federation lied about this and has been raising them in secret for a while before the whole SA-X incident.)
Knowing the federation this is the case.

RuneLancer said:
2- They're being VERY secretive about it and are trying quite hard to keep Samus out of that area. In fact, there's a lot of tension when she still manages to make her way to the metroid area and confronts them about it. If they've got nothing but good intentions, why would they be so secretive? Especially to someone who, firsthand, experienced the ravages of the SA-X virus?

Add in them wanting to come and pick up the SA-X to study it instead of destroying it completely and preventing any further possible infections, and one can't help but wonder what's in the federation's agenda. (Keep in mind that all things living evolve and adapt over time; the virus would eventually mutate to bypass the vaccine and all hell would break loose. If the federation is planning on using the virus for good, they should know this much at least, and the dangers/costs/difficulty of keeping up with a mutating virus on the loose in the entire population of the populated universe. Also keep in mind that the virus mutates frequently through the game to adapt to its environment - the blue ones that freeze you, for instance - making it likely to quickly end up mutating enough to infect vaccinated people.)

The little "hidden" sequence you can see if you take the hard route out of some area and skip the ice missile is pretty interesting, too. I forgot exactly what causes it to happen, but
you are treated to a cut-scene of some federate guy and the computer congratulating the player and joking about revealing their master plan to you for making it through such a difficult route
One can only wonder what that's about.
The X are far more complex than a simple virus, thus making mutations either non-existant or slower.

It has been a while and I cannot remember why the Federation wanted the X but I can remember that they originally wanted to exploit metroid energy generating capabilities. I remember there was a similar "for the benefit of humanity and f**k the consequences" thing with the X.

It is interesting how Samus kills off all the metroids on their home world (in Metroid II for Gameboy) and unleashes the X by accident.

http://www.metroid2002.com/fusion/other_secret_message.php

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM
Next game the Space Pirates get their hands on the X. You heard it here first, folks.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
Next game the Space Pirates get their hands on the X. You heard it here first, folks.
Well that would end badly for them, no? ;) Lets hope the Metroids come back in that one.

Though I would expect they would just continue with pre-fusion (chronologically) titles.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:51 AM
andwhyisit said:
Well that would end badly for them, no? ;)

Hey, having the Metroids was nearly as dangerous. In Zero Mission you can find a sizable amount of Pirates dead from energy-absorption.

andwhyisit said:
Lets hope the Metroids come back in that one.

Let us hope indeed. Also, let's hope that Ridley appears again.

andwhyisit said:
Though I would expect they would just continue with pre-fusion (chronologically) titles.

I'm actually getting somewhat tired of all the "Prime" games. I'm kind of itching for another Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion. We can’t have Castlevania completely dominate this field, can we?

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
Hey, having the Metroids was nearly as dangerous. In Zero Mission you can find a sizable amount of Pirates dead from energy-absorption.
Yes. But they are as bad as the federation.

Kageryushin said:
Let us hope indeed. Also, let's hope that Ridley appears again.
How you could have a super metroid game without a single Metroid is beyond me. (not literally beyond me btw)

Kageryushin said:
I'm actually getting somewhat tired of all the "Prime" games. I'm kind of itching for another Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion. We can’t have Castlevania completely dominate this field, can we?
The prime games were good but yes, I too would wish for a new 2d metroid game. They only made four 2d Metroid games, I say that they are slacking off. ;)