Matt Story

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hey guys whats up Im making a mod, Called Matt Story! The game is based on my dreams and real life.

Version 0.1

Edit:computer hates RaVersion 0.1 Zip if your r

Version 0.2

Verison 0.3

Version 0.7 (it ends after the teacher lounge secne)
Any ways since Magic Doors Requested this He'll get it, the story is about me and my town. but the main thing is my school. Since i have a horrible princeabal i have to set things right. Have fun!

diph.php

Version 0.6: This is the best update yet! gltiched fixed, FAI FAO added, and a new map!(exteremly hard thought)

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
So... your name is Matt?

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Feb 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
When I first saw this thread, I thought it was Mutt Story. Good for laugh. I don't have time now to play your mod, but I will later.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
I would play it, but my computer hates .rars
Sorry

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Let's see here:
Storyline: 3/10 Poor. I guess it's not necessarily fair to say so far how good the storyline is with how early of a release this is, but it doesn't look too promising. But if you impress me as it progresses, then this score may very well miprove.

Dialog: 4/10 Bad. Sorry, but just having a note making sure you're okay? Doesn't do much for me. Maybe it's just for how early on this is in the mod, so this score might improve as the mod progresses.

Level Design: 3/10 Poor. This thing could really do with some more paths, and grass to make the terrain seem more natural. I wanted to give this category another point, but that opening at the bottom left brings it down a point. See glitch #5 for details.

Gameplay: 5/10 Mediocre. Like all mods, the redeeming property of this game is that it uses the game engine from Cave Story, so it's kinda hard to screw up the jumping physics and such. But the rest of this mod brings it down.

Glitches:
1) Instead of a little scene upon runnnig the game, I am asked if I want to save my game before going to the main menu.
2) "You got the Micheane Gun," Machine gun is misspelled.
3) The word "right" continues from one line in the message box to the next. And generally, you didn't use much capitalization and proper punctuation in what little dialog we get. You might wanna proofread this mod.
4) When I go to the door at the bottom right corner of the room, it fades out, but it fades back in to my position without changing rooms, then runs the message box for getting the machine gun and the note, but this time I can move around while it's happening.
5) At the bottom left corner of the room, there's an empty space, and if I walk through it, I fall off the edge of the map.

Improvements:
1) Fix all of the glitches mentioned above.
2) Improve the level design.
3) Proofread all of the message boxes.
Overall Score: 3/10 Poor. Sorry, but the level design is really not a lot to talk about, there is a whopping five glitches packed into one room, the message boxes have poor grammar, and I can't even progress through the game.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Let's see here:
Storyline: 3/10 Poor. I guess it's not necessarily fair to say so far how good the storyline is with how early of a release this is, but it doesn't look too primising. But if you impress me as it progresses, then this score may very well miprove.

Dialog: 4/10 Bad. Sorry, but just having a note making sure you'er okay? Doesn't do much for me. Maybe it's just for how early on this is in the mod, so this score might improve as the mod progresses.

Level Design: 3/10 Poor. This thing could really do with some more paths, and grass to make the terrain seem more natural. I wanted to give this category another point, but that opening at the bottom left brings it down a point. See glitches for details.
Gameplay: 5/10 Mediocre. Like all mods, the redeeming property of this game is that it uses the game engine from Cave Story, so it's kinda hard to screw up the jumping physics and such.
Glitches:
1) Instead of a little scene before the main menu, I am asked if I want to save my game before going to the main menu.
2) "You got the Micheane Gun," Machine gun is misspelled.
3) For the word "right" continues from one line in the message box to the next. And generally, you didn't use much capitalization and proper punctuation in what little dialog we get. You might wanna proof read it.
4) When I go to the door at the bottom right corner of the room, it fades out, but it fades back in to my position, then runs the message box for getting the machine gun and the note, but this time I can move around while it's happening.
5) At the bottom right corner of the room, there's an empty space, and if I walk through it, I fall off the edge of the map.
Improvements: 1) Fix all of the glitches mentioned above.
2) Improve the level design.
3) Proofread all of the message boxes.
Overall Score: 3/10 Poor. Sorry, but the level design is really not a lot to talk about, there is a whopping five glitches packed into one room, the message boxes have poor grammar, and I can't even progress through the game.

For 2nd Glitch is sopossed to splet like that, (Meach-ea-nea).

For 1st Glitch sry i did that an propose.

for 4th glitch i did that beacuse its the end of the Demo

for 5th glitch Oops

for Overall Score: yeah its ok

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Based Member
For 2nd Glitch is sopossed to splet like that, (Meach-ea-nea).
If you're not trying to spell it how it is spelled in Cave Story, and you're not trying to spell the word, "Machine," then, ok......

For 1st Glitch sry i did that an propose.
You did that on purpose? If so, then why are you apologizing?

for 4th glitch i did that beacuse its the end of the Demo
I don't think that was entirely on purpose. You see, it runs the script for getting the machine gun when you get to it, instead of just fading out.
Oh, I just looked at your code, and realized something. For some of the events in your script, you typed "#203" instead of "#0203". Reagardless of what number it is, the event number has to have four digits, or else your script probably won't work properly.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:57 AM
New demo in Frist post

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
1. At bottom of 2nd map at left, you can fall off of the level.
2. At second map door, you can just use a door entitie so the top isn't rocky.
3. Custom sprites are ok, but I fell like I've seen that character before... hmm...
4. You might want to try using different types of tiles.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:04 AM
Professional Whatever
<rage></rage>

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dude, this was, like, his first game.
Maybe it was practice,
maybe he still needs to get into the swing.
Dunno, but don't judge it so quickly.

~M.M.~

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:16 AM
Professional Whatever
Yes, but it is very important to actually make sure it works before releasing it. If your mod has glitches left and right, one room, and no story, no one wants to play it.
Although yes, I was pretty harsh, I'm sorry.

EDIT: Alright, I'm very sorry about my last review. This time I'll try not to rage.

Okay. As far as grammar and spelling, you have quite a few mistakes, but I can point them out and show you how to fix them if you want.

When talking to the left side of the goddess statue, it plays the opening event instead of the one transporting to the lower area. You need to change the entity with the event number #201 to have the event number #202.

Your first level does seem a bit low-quality (it plays a bit like a debug room), but it certainly is better than 0.2's.

There's still the random New Folder, error log and profile.dat in the files, might wanna remove those. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that last time.

I really like the way the room transition is between the rooms of Matt's house, but that's just my opinion.

When he gets the bubbler, I really think you should be told that you should go to sleep (matt could say "I'm sleepy. I should go to bed" or something), rather than just going to bed on the floor.

There's a bed entity, you can use that instead of the map tiles to make your bed look cleaner.
._.
What I meant to say is that that black space around the bed is a little unattractive, using the bed entity instead of the bed map tiles can fix that.

You should change the event where you enter your dreams for the first time to have <PRI instead of <KEY at the beginning, otherwise Balrog comes up and devours your health before you can move.

Relating to Balrog, you need to change the tileset of the dream map to match his, otherwise he goes crazy graphics glitchy. For this reason you really can't have more than one type of boss at a time in a single map.

Also it is really annoying to have 3 health in the dream sequence (I haven't even gotten past the second boss thing yet), you might wanna increase his health a bit.

Oh also it's still Orange's mod. I understand why you don't want to change the MyChar right now, but it's not too hard to change the .exe name and fix the loading screen. (it still says etheria.exe and shows an orange loading screen)

Other than that, sorry again for my earlier review, and keep modding!

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM
MagicDoors said:
Yes, but it is very important to actually make sure it works before releasing it. If your mod has glitches left and right, one room, and no story, no one wants to play it.
Although yes, I was pretty harsh, I'm sorry.

EDIT: Alright, I'm very sorry about my last review. This time I'll try not to rage.

Okay. As far as grammar and spelling, you have quite a few mistakes, but I can point them out and show you how to fix them if you want.

When talking to the left side of the goddess statue, it plays the opening event instead of the one transporting to the lower area. You need to change the entity with the event number #201 to have the event number #202.

Your first level does seem a bit low-quality (it plays a bit like a debug room), but it certainly is better than 0.2's.

There's still the random New Folder, error log and profile.dat in the files, might wanna remove those. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that last time.

I really like the way the room transition is between the rooms of Matt's house, but that's just my opinion.

When he gets the bubbler, I really think you should be told that you should go to sleep (matt could say "I'm sleepy. I should go to bed" or something), rather than just going to bed on the floor.

There's a bed entity, you can use that instead of the map tiles to make your bed look cleaner.
._.
What I meant to say is that that black space around the bed is a little unattractive, using the bed entity instead of the bed map tiles can fix that.

You should change the event where you enter your dreams for the first time to have <PRI instead of <KEY at the beginning, otherwise Balrog comes up and devours your health before you can move.

Relating to Balrog, you need to change the tileset of the dream map to match his, otherwise he goes crazy graphics glitchy. For this reason you really can't have more than one type of boss at a time in a single map.

Also it is really annoying to have 3 health in the dream sequence (I haven't even gotten past the second boss thing yet), you might wanna increase his health a bit.

Oh also it's still Orange's mod. I understand why you don't want to change the MyChar right now, but it's not too hard to change the .exe name and fix the loading screen. (it still says etheria.exe and shows an orange loading screen)

Other than that, sorry again for my earlier review, and keep modding!

Oh thanks about this review these are really helping me to fix things that I didn't notice ;).

About the Dream part other than Barlrog coming up to destory you it's Matts "Dream" so it is sopossed to have
crazy graphics glitchy enimes.

About the 3 health dream sequance I have an amzaing ablity to do things in video games under leveled,under HP,wepons all Lv 1etc. So I got carried away and didn't think how hard it would be.

So I almost have 1.0 done (yay) and ill give you guys 1 thing I added:A new map!

EDIT: So i ran into a problem. I'f i put <KEY all i get is a text sound the Event number is #0398 the flags are 2000. The event script looks like this

<KEY<MSG Sundenly you wake up.<NOD<FAO0000<IT-0023<IT-0020<TRA0010:0399:0015:0008<END

If i can fix that ill get the demo out in no time!

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Professional Whatever
Usually you wait to release 1.0 until your mod's story is finished. 1.0 signifies that you aren't changing anything plot-related in future updates, usually it's only glitches or errors.
Also this is in the dream sequence room? I will check it when I have time.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
but this is the perfect mod
how could he improve on it

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM
but this is the perfect mod.
how could he improve on it?

*Record scath* WHAT?! did you just say that like you mean it or am i dumb?

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Professional Whatever
The correct term is sarcasm.

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
You should make it from scarth