Kind of random sudden realization of mine.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:39 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I really need to learn to do something besides scripting if I ever wanna get far in creating a mod of my own. I am completely dependent on other people's creations for anything I wish to do. I can't write a decent story, I can't compose music that doesn't sound like a cat being tortured, and a 3 year old can draw better than me. Without depending on other people, I could not get anywhere on my own. Someone with a talent for writing stories could become a famous author, while someone like Noxid who can create crazy good art could go on to be an artist, while someone like... Gir I think, could become a renowned musician. All I can do is take what you guys would give to me, and turn it into the game.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:49 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Stop feeling sorry for yourself and practice, do you think Noxid and Gir were born as graphical and musical geniuses?
Hell no, they practiced until they were awesome.

So do that.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:35 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Look how much Noxid's art has evolved over time.

People normally don't become creative geniuses in one day.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:24 AM
Been here way too long...
ITT: inflation of Noxid's ego.

Anyway, I have bad news for you, bobbyis: being good at something requires hard work.

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:02 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Captain Fabulous said:
ITT: inflation of Noxid's ego.

Anyway, I have bad news for you, bobbyis: being good at something requires hard work.

And remember - talent alone can take you far, but hard work can take you anywhere.

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM
That is a truism people love to believe in, but I feel like it isn't actually true.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Talent and hard work are both required to be truly awesome at something. However, just one or the other (doesn't matter too much which one) can make you pretty good.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:35 AM
Banned
cultr1 said:
Stop feeling sorry for yourself and practice, do you think Noxid and Gir were born as graphical and musical geniuses?
Hell no, they practiced until they were awesome.

So do that.

I didn't really mean for it to sound like I was feeling sorry for myself, I was more trying to say to myself "I need to do this", but yeah, I can really see how it would be taken that way. Sorry for any confusion.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:45 AM
bobbyis said:
I was more trying to say to myself "I need to do this"

Well gee, thanks for sharing, royalbobby.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM
WoodenRat said:
And remember - talent alone can take you far, but hard work can take you anywhere.

really damn good quote, i'm gonna write that down somewhere

i started drawing earlier this year, after years of amassing drawing supplies and books and a tablet and a drawing table and all kinds of other things, but not really using any of it; i'd draw for like a week then 'give up', and i'd tell myself i waited way too long, everyone who's good at art starts when they're like 6 and never stop, what chance would i have of ever even being okay at it if i waited until i was 20+, etc etc

well, i think most people who start drawing younger do it out of boredom usually, and don't even know exactly why they do or what they want to do with it or if they even wanna do it as a big thing. i know that my whole entire life i've wanted to draw cartoons, so now i'm drawing cartoons. i'm nowhere near 'good' but my rate of improvement has made me feel like i might be on to something;

compare this, when i first started: http://hip-indeed.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/&offset=48#/d3if67m
to this, which was drawn about 3 weeks later: http://hip-indeed.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/&offset=24#/d3jzyt0

(yeah yeah all rag ever thinks about anymore is ponies -- it was an event that i participated in every day, and have continued participating in the deviantart weekly offshoot without missing a single entry. i am also going through the most low-level cartooning book i own irl and don't scan the stuff)

i know i'm nowhere near 'good' yet, i am at the very bottom rungs of art and i have barely begun grasping the basic fundamental concepts of how to draw, but even considering that a lot of what makes the pictures look 'good' is the magic of computer technology you can tell i've gotten a lot better in a lot of ways in a rather short period of time -- smoother, steadier lines, better and better eyes (pony eyes are more complicated than you'd think), more knowledge of really everything about the program i use and daring to step out and do a little bit more or a little bit different every time i draw for that event

the point of this is i thought i'd never get around to actually drawing, never actually be any good, etc but once i sat down and decided to do it anyway, i've actually improved at such a rate i think i might just have a chance to, in a few years, actually be maybe halfway okay at doing what i want to do, and that's extremely exciting. and then i find out about a guy i know who's really damn great at cartoon art and he said he didn't even pick up a pencil to draw until he was 19. and then i see noxid doing his thing, and he's older than me, right? like, by years, even, close to 30? and he started how long ago? like, a year or two?

tl;dr: seriously, if you really wanna do any of these things, just sit down and tell yourself you're going to become good at doing them. then just... go. you'll definitely get there, if you really want to bad enough

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM
diph.php

I assume. I'm not going to try to read a wall of text that only has five periods in it. And you only used the shift key twelve times.

While I'm here, hey everyone look at this.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:46 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
ew reddit

also I would harp on rag for not using punctuation but I don't really capitalize anything except for "I", so I guess I'm not in a place to really do that

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ragnaroq said:
and then i see noxid doing his thing, and he's older than me, right? like, by years, even, close to 30? and he started how long ago? like, a year or two?

361 days actually. I count starting the 100 cats thing as the moment I decided to take drawing seriously.

But yeah. As carrotlord's lovely example shows, I am not a naturally talented artist. I'm naturally awful at it, and I just kept practicing until I got better. To be honest I still don't consider myself to be very good, but the improvement is definitely there.

If you want to get better at something, practice. If you are worried about people making fun of you for not being good, practice in secret until you are confident enough. Hell, almost nobody knew I was making 100 cats until I had like 20 of them already done.