Is the Island bigger than what we see of it?

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:16 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
One of the things that struck me when looking at the Island's official portrait is that its appearance from the outside doesn't seem to correspond to the areas of the game when taken all together. Sure, this is mostly because you spend most of the game within the Island's caverns, but even then it doesn't seem to fit. You can see something in the center that looks like it could either be a mountain or the tower that you fight the Doctor in, but even that's unclear.

There are also some splotches of green on top of the Island which suggest that there may be trees growing on top of it in a few places, but that's not seen when you actually go atop the Island yourself on the Balcony. Could there be areas on the Island's top that aren't seen in-game? If so, would there also be other parts of the Island not accounted for? Just how big is it exactly?

I don't anticipate these questions will ever have a definitive answer but it's certainly something that's been puzzling me for a while.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
*sigh*

I've mentioned this before but even though the game is a 2D platformer that doesn't mean that the game's world exists in a 2D space. The fact is that in that image you showed us the balcony could just as easily have been on the front or back of the island, and that goes for anything else. Also your image makes no sense since underneath the balcony edge is last/final cave, hell, plantation, outer wall and egg corridor in that order. I think I would remember if last/final cave and hell traversed the entire island.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:20 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Even if that tower isn't the throne room complex it's still a blatantly large structure of some kind. Maybe the endgame section's all over on the left side of the image? That should still leave space for all the other main areas (Grasstown, Sand Zone, Labyrinth) within the rest of the bulk of the island.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:13 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
If that was true I think the island would be WAY too small.

I can see how Wind Fortress would fit there but look at the size of Balcony and Outer Wall. Although they are pretty big they take no where near as much space as Egg Corridor and Grasstown would (Also, how does Grasstown have Grass if Grasstown is inside a cave system? Lol just something I always wondered...). So where do those fit in?

I just kinda think Pixel drew a small floating island. And there is nothing wrong with that especially in a game with NES-style graphics. Do you think it would be possible to fit every detail of this island into a image that scaled down?

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:00 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
*sigh*

I've mentioned this before but even though the game is a 2D platformer that doesn't mean that the game's world exists in a 2D space. The fact is that in that image you showed us the balcony could just as easily have been on the front or back of the island, and that goes for anything else. Also your image makes no sense since underneath the balcony edge is last/final cave, hell, plantation, outer wall and egg corridor in that order. I think I would remember if last/final cave and hell traversed the entire island.
Are you sure about that?
I was looking through the credit art, and I realized something...
CREDIT03.png
That fog on the left, I believe that it is the right "end" of the island in a 3D perspective. However, it may go out a lot longer on the right side, but we'll never know.

EDIT: That means that if my mini-theory is correct, then it all fits into that image of the island.