Indian?

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:30 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Fatih, you should remove the word "Indian" from your siggy. It's redundant.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:32 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Out of everything that's wrong with it, that's the thing you focus on? A simple redundancy?
Fuck, I don't even know where to start with it.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Attheshows said:
It's also politically incorrect. The corrent term is more like "native", "aboriginal", or "First Nations" these days. But given that you already said Cree, you could probably just leave it out.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Fatih120 said:
Actually I put "Indian" since the person who shared it said that. I just kinda copied it and didn't realize it tbh.
No.
No that's not the point.
Cree is a First Nations (AKA aboriginal) tribe. Saying Cree Aboriginal proverb is like saying Romanian European proverb.
No shit it's European, what else would Romanian be?

Anyway, the past was a very shitty place filled with terrible admoderators and we should learn from it but not emulate it.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM
He's right you know. Smarten up and learn.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM
/end
Attheshows said:

Captain Fabulous said:
Out of everything that's wrong with it

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It's also politically incorrect.

Wild Desu said:
Shame that Americans to this day still use Indian.
A. I am fairly certain none of you are Indian or even have any Indian in you.

B. Don't go around saying what other races should and shouldn't be called.

C. A-B-C 1-2-3 Find out what it means to me!

D.

diph.php

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM
MetaSeraphim said:

D.

diph.php
I know that i have no Aboriginal blood in me, but I know well enough, living in a city with many, many Aboriginal people, that calling someone a Cree Indian is in fact redunant. They go by many names: Aboriginal, First Nations/Metis/Inuit and other things. In response to D: Native American is nothing but a silly name that the government gave them.

Sorry Meta, roll again.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM
/end
Attheshows said:
They go by many names: Aboriginal, First Nations/Metis/Inuit and other things.
As far as America goes, the only country that matters by the way, most of those terms aren't even used here.

Most of the tribes that are native to the states don't mind being called Indians or referred to as Indians.

As for Cree Indian being redunant not everyone knows that Cree is a tribe of Indian, or for that matter most people don't know any of the tribes of Indians.

Attheshows said:
Sorry Meta, roll again.
p173325-0-3jb6a6o.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Yeah okay. You must have a gif for everything don't you? Anyways. Yeah.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM
MetaSeraphim said:
As far as America goes, the only country that matters by the way, most of those terms aren't even used here.
I didn't know you've been everywhere in the country and talked about native Americans there.
Also, you're the only American in this discussion.

MetaSeraphim said:
Most of the tribes that are native to the states don't mind being called Indians or referred to as Indians.
I didn't know you were so familiar with all of the dozens and dozens of tribes and what their members prefer being called.

MetaSeraphim said:
As for Cree Indian being redunant not everyone knows that Cree is a tribe of Indian, or for that matter most people don't know any of the tribes of Indians.
I didn't know that Americans are fucking retarded.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:09 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I feel like I don't belong here now... :D If people were to look back at this, I would have been a perfect example of an idiot who stays indoors all day, nice speech Polaris

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM
/end
Attheshows said:
Yeah okay. You must have a gif for everything don't you? Anyways. Yeah.

alwyu2N.gif

Captain Fabulous said:
I didn't know you've been everywhere in the country and talked about native Americans there.
First off dingledork, doing that is completely unneeded since every year in Albuquerque, New Mexico an event called the Gathering of Nations happens where tribes from all around North America gather.

Captain Fabulous said:
Also, you're the only American in this discussion.
Has nothing to do with anything at all. You don't have to live in a country to worship it.

Captain Fabulous said:
I didn't know you were so familiar with all of the dozens and dozens of tribes and what their members prefer being called.
As I said in the above an event called the Gathering of Nations happens each year where you get the chance to talk to dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of different Indian tribes

Captain Fabulous said:
I didn't know that Americans are fucking retarded.
You know what I am surprised about? That Canada hasn't kicked you out yet for being such an arrorant douchebag, I mean they did it to Justin Bieber.

Of course if you ever did anything noticeable with your life instead of being a failure replacement Kageryushin on the internet maybe Canada would realize you didn't deserve to live in the Country.

Maybe you should pull yourself out of bed, go outside and do something with your life instead of being the forum's biggest asshole. At least Kageryushin had some cuth.

p173329-1-uhnxwjz.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
MetaSeraphim said:

D.

diph.php
Oh man I totally missed this post, but A is entirely wrong, at least in regards to me. I'm a Status Indian, card and everything.

So don't you go telling me I don't know what my people are called.

(Also it's somewhat ironic that I'm legally a status "indian", when it's sort of a politically incorrect term)

MetaSeraphim said:
Regardless of this being true or not, it's still redundant, since Cree doesn't refer to anything else (there is no tribe of, say, Cree europeans, at least not to my knowledge).

It's not like people say "German European" because you might not know that Germany is in Europe.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
How fitting that this discussion would turn into a living relic. Now all you newbies can soak in the brilliance of this site's scintillating history.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Hahaha. Metaseph...You tell -me- to stop being the wet blanket? Look at you, arguing with us over a simple thing that Fab and I pointed out. You and your assumptions are the absolute worst. You're a hypocritical person who really needs to lay off. Anyways, done with this thread. Byebye! : D

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM
MetaSeraphim said:
You know what I am surprised about? That Canada hasn't kicked you out yet for being such an arrorant douchebag, I mean they did it to Justin Bieber.

Of course if you ever did anything noticeable with your life instead of being a failure replacement Kageryushin on the internet maybe Canada would realize you didn't deserve to live in the Country.

Maybe you should pull yourself out of bed, go outside and do something with your life instead of being the forum's biggest asshole. At least Kageryushin had some cuth.
our resident First Nations expert thinks I'm a loser :toroko2: I'll try harder, Chief MetaSeraphim.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
DoubleThink said:
How fitting that this discussion would turn into a living relic. Now all you newbies can soak in the brilliance of this site's scintillating history.
p173334-0-tumblrinlinemsmdljrvzh1qz4rgp.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Why I think this is stupid:
  • To anyone from my country "native" and "aboriginal" means another race entirely. It makes no sense on an international stage such as these forums because these terms are defined by the locality of the speaker or recipient.
  • Even "Native American" is too generalised, as it can easily refer to the Incans.
  • "First Nations" sounds like a political party. Plus it once again is a term that has little use outside of America.
  • There is nothing wrong with being politically incorrect unless you are a politician. If you are afraid of saying something that may insult someone then you might as well never speak again in your life. While I do not support racism I believe that calling someone an Indian is about as racist as calling a girl a girl is sexist. Get over it.
  • No-one outside of the US is going to know that Cree are Indians so that doesn't make the "Indian" in "Cree Indian" redundant.
"Cree Indian" makes sense, even "Cree" does. "Cree Aboriginals" on the other hand does not.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
No-one outside of the US is going to know that Cree are Indians so that doesn't make the "Indian" in "Cree Indian" redundant.
"Cree Indian" makes sense, even "Cree" does. "Cree Aboriginals" on the other hand does not.
PS you can google things, so even if you don't know the Cree are "Indians", you can use the google machine to rectify that easily. "Cree Indian" works as a noun, as in "That man is a Cree Indian", since Indian is the noun. But "That's a Cree Indian saying" just sounds silly. The use of Indian here is redundant and unnecessary, "That's a Cree saying" works just as well.

And "First Nations" is what the, well, First Nations prefer to call themselves these days. And just because it doesn't have use outside of America (or, you know, Canada???) doesn't make it incorrect.

I don't really care all that much about policital correctness myself, but I do care for redundancy.